• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teskridg

teskridg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: PA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Last night I wheeled the CPC-1100 out onto the driveway for a quick half hour of observing. I know, even in the unheated garage, this really doesn't constitute thermal equilibration, but it was colder than Coor's Light and my health ain't the best right now. Rigged up with the Earthwin bino's, 24mm Panoptics, and my new Scopestuff Telrad mounting plate. Viewed only Jupiter, M42, and M37. Light polution is suburban here and seeing was fair, transparency excellent, and no moon yet.
Jupiter was fair- equatorial bands and 4 moons. M's 37 and 42 were spectacular as usual- I can only imagine what DSO's would be under truly excellent skies.
Because of my health my three adult children were there and helped me set up and view. Their reactions to these celestial showpieces was ecstatic and sincere.
That's an experience that contributes to the pricelessness of this hobby; as I said- it doesn't get any better. Tim

#2 dpwoos

dpwoos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: United States

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

I think that M37 is simply wonderful, and I much prefer it to M36 and M38. In fact, this motivates me to give M36 and 38 another chance the next opportunity I get! Thanks for the post.

#3 teskridg

teskridg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: PA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Let me say that there are many other show stoppers in the heavens besides these mentioned here. The key this time was the big kick I got out of sharing the views with my children. Tim

#4 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Let me say that there are many other show stoppers in the heavens besides these mentioned here. The key this time was the big kick I got out of sharing the views with my children. Tim

A wise person once said, "Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased."

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics