New telescope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PlanetNamek

PlanetNamek

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

So I took some peoples advice and shelled out $200 for a Meade 114EQ-ASTR equatorial reflector scope! It is currently on its way and will be here on wednesday. I am thrilled and can't wait to use it! I was wondering if anyone else here had the same telescope and can tell me what they are able to see? Or at least what i should be able to see. Personally i would like to be able to see the messier objects and other DSO's
http://store.meade.c...-equatorial-... That's a link to the scope I bought and using the specs it says it has I assume I will be able to see some good stuff. Any help is welcome.

#2 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

1. Be prepared for a steep learning curve on using the equatorial mount. Spend some time in daylight with the axis clamps loosened so you can see how the scope moves in various directions. I initially set mine up as an alt-az mount, which you can do by setting the RA axis vertically.

2.Align your finder scope during the day. Find a distant object you can see through the scope, then adjust the screws on the finder to get the center of the finder view on the same spot.

3. Defocus a star. The image should be a nice even donut as you focus away in either direction. If it is not, you will need to collimate the telescope.

4. Cool targets to begin with are M42 and Jupiter which are both up now. The Pleiades will not fit into the field of view but are worth seeing, because you can see the nebulosity surrounding the stars (it wiill look like your scope is fogging up.) The moon is also a worthy target (look at it last at night as it will wipe out your night vision. Use a moon filter if you have one.

5. Take your scope to an astronomy club outing. You will get lots of help in learning how to use it.

#3 PlanetNamek

PlanetNamek

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot doc. Only reason I bought an EQ mount was because I had read somewhere that using this kind of mount as opposed to an AltAzimuth will make it easier to lock on to objects. If I were to try to take a look at M31 do you think I would be able to see the spiral arms? Like I said I still don't know how good this scope will be as I don't have it yet but just asking based on my scopes power and aperture.

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

You'll see M31, especially at lower power. Probably won't see a lot of detail in a 114mm though, you won't see dust lanes or anything like that till you get to above 10"

#5 dpwoos

dpwoos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: United States

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

What you will be able to see depends largely on how dark your sky is, and your observing skills. I have seen an incredible amount of detail in M31 in 10x80 binos from a really, really dark site, and where even folks without any past observing experience were blown away. I have also seen a lot of detail in M31 from not so dark sites but using my experience to know what to look for, and being sensitive to subtle differences. In some ways a small-ish scope can teach you how to be a good observer better than a large scope can, so don't sell your new scope short. It is capable of good views of hundreds of targets.

#6 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I am afraid that you will not see spiral arms in any galaxy with that scope. It will give you views of some planets star clusters etc.
Don't expect Hubble like views. Even the images seen in our photo gallery are much better than what the human eye can see. You should look at the photo gallery section there is some amazing work there. Galaxies are known as faint fuzzies, believe me they earned that name.

#7 PlanetNamek

PlanetNamek

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ok thanks a lot everyone. And dpwoos, I will most definitely try to make the best use out of this new scope as I am on a tight budget and won't be getting a new one or replacing this one anytime soon. For me personally, one of the things I can't wait to see through my new telescope is the panstarrs comet in March!! Happy Hunting everyone.

#8 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Good luck and good hunting. A question I for got to ask how dark are your skies. The darker the better.

#9 PlanetNamek

PlanetNamek

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Panhard, I live in a subdivision. There are street lamps everywhere but its not heavy white light, its more of a yellow light that comes from them. I however do my observing in my backyard where I have no lights to deal with because I am facing my house and it rarely gets in the way of my view due to my backyard being fairly big. Only problem is that snow!

#10 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

for DSO, darker skies will help small aperatures. for planets and the moon, you don't have to worry about the light polution. if lights get in your way get a dark cloth to put over you head, but the ground will also reflect up into your eyes.

last night I had my 8in out looking at the GRS on jupiter and I have a big a@# street light really close but it didn't bother moi.

snow? what's that? :grin:

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics