• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just getting back into telescopes after many years, I have the orion atlas mount with a C9.25 and want to use a wi-fi tablet to control it as the atlas controler is limited to 13000 objects.

I just got the orion starseek module for wireless connection to the mount and tested its conection with my PC and all is well there.

I don't require much as far as the tablet goes. it will be solely used for the mount and nothing else. there are so many choices that my head is gonna spin off. I have no clue about any of these devises! and looking to get as close as I can to plug n play.

next would be what apps are avalible for tablets that would allow me to run the mount with a tablet? would like a decent amount of objects and the abilitiy to load more as needed..

Where to start??

#2 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

You can't do better than Sky Safari -- it's designed for the StarSeek/SkiFi module. Works perfectly.

WRT the tablet: I've heard complaints from Android owners about lag and general slowness, but Sky Safari is smooth as silk on my iPad. If you're not going to use it for anything else (I bet that changes, btw), perhaps a used iPad 2 or 3 instead of a brand new one. Also, the iPad mini is only $329 new.

-- Chris

#3 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

You can't do better than Sky Safari -- it's designed for the StarSeek/SkiFi module. Works perfectly.

WRT the tablet: I've heard complaints from Android owners about lag and general slowness, but Sky Safari is smooth as silk on my iPad. If you're not going to use it for anything else (I bet that changes, btw), perhaps a used iPad 2 or 3 instead of a brand new one. Also, the iPad mini is only $329 new.

-- Chris

LOL, no it will be just for the mount. I've never even had a full blown cell phone, I've been on a cheap pay by the minute no thrlls cell phone for well over 7 years. I can't even get pics on my cell.LOL... I just updated my PC after almost 15 years...LOL face it, I'm a dinosaur...

Anyway. I will look into the ipads and see if I can swing the money. thanks

#4 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

The iPads are going to play better with your StarSeek/SkyFi. Most Android devices cannot connect to the Ad Hoc wireless network that SkyFi sets up. There are ways around that but only for people that are somewhat technically advanced.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics