First Light 8SE

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stryder

stryder

Sputnik

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

So finally after a week of solid clouds I was able to take the scope out and see what I can do.

So I get it all setup and start the alignment process. I decided on an auto two star alignment and was able to get it aligned, though I could have probably done a better job...More on that later.

After getting it aligned I honed in on Jupiter and was welcomed with a super sharp image of the planet and 4 moons -- and an star, so it looked like 5 moons.

After that, my buddy came to the site and started to setup his new 8SE as well...our friend Jeff was already at the site broadcasting to people on the internet.

After a few tries my friend got his 8SE setup as well and we were have a great time slewing all across the sky.

I got my first good look at the Orion Nebula and it was beautiful... I did realize I wasn't super aligned because the scope didn't stay aligned -- so I think I'll try the donut trick next time.

All in all it was a great time... but man, super cold. :)

I can't wait to go back out.

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Nice first light report, stryder! :waytogo: Nice to be able to observe with some friends who share the hobby!

-Dan

#3 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

stryder - Thanks for the good report and the 8SE is a nice scope. Hope you have many more great experiences with it and your friends... :grin: Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics