Jupiter 01-04-13

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Clear and cold here in southern Ohio last night. This is the first image that I have finished from the data that I took. This is from the SSAG, which I think gives me more detail in the final image, even though it is a PIA to use. I also had some banding issues in the blue and red channels; gain too high I suppose. I've done my best to reduce it, it really is only visible to me in the red channel.

This is with the 102ED & Powermate 2.5x for ~1785mm FL, RGB about 700 images stacked per channel.

I have some data with the 5x Powermate which came last night. Probably 2 too many x's, but I haven't done much with the data yet.

Steve

Attached Files

#2 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

The banding I get is very similar and happens when gain is set too high. So, I think you are correct. And wavelet sharpening makes it worse. It can't be processed out by any methods I am familiar with. None the less, you are getting some decent images.

#3 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks ToxMan! You may be right, it can't be preocessed out, but it fan be fixed, or at least improved! It's a little tedious, but I took my 'semi-processed' red channel, loaded it into PS and selected the bad rows one by one and adjusted the brightness up or down as necessary.

I also had (another) epiphany in WinJUPOS and noticed that my image orientation wasn't correct, which was affecting my final image channel alignment. This allowed me to get my luminance into the image, which when I first tried it, was totally whacked!

End result, the RGB looks better and the LRGB is.....more detailed but a little bumpy. I also did 'maybe' a little better white balance on the new RGB & LRGB images.

I may try and tone down the luminance later and re-try.

This is fun! I just wish it was a little warmer outside!

Steve

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics