Finally Clearing Skies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Finally the skies are clearing and observing may actually be a go tonight and tomorrow shows even better on the clear sky charts! I've had clouds for more than 2 weeks so I'm glad maybe there is going to be a break in the weather. I think I'll be going for Jupiter and some double stars hopefully. Got the 11mm ES 82* in today so maybe conditions will allow decent view tonight or tomorrow for sure. Guess I'll be doing some planning today for what I hope will be a decent night. Anyone observing tonight and if so what do you have down on your list? Tony

#2 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hi Tony,

Hope you make it.

I'm not observing due to the weather but would be targeting Jupiter, M42, M50, M46, M35 to M38, NGC 2237, NGC2264 amounst others.

Hope these give you a start.

Regards. Peter.

#3 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Peter - Thanks and I hope your weather clears soon! Thanks for the list. Those are good ones and maybe I can catch some of them.... Tony

#4 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Would rate sky at 5 -6 / 10 ... Not the best as there appears to be a very light haze and mod light pollution. 6SE aligned well with auto 2 star. Have spent most of the time on Jupiter and watched Europa enter occultation behind Jupiter and that was cool. Conditions were not good enough for the trapezium, no E / F but I didn't expect anything with low power and mod lp. Higher power isn't cutting it tonight and 20 to 25mm is working best. In for some coffee then back out in a few.
--------------------------------------------------
Okay evening but finally surrendered to dew! I was able to get decent views of M31,36,37,38,42,45, NGC 2281, arrowhead asterism, Capella, Aldebaron, Sirius and Jupiter was king tonight. Occultation of Europa and Jupiter was the highlight I guess. Dang dew started to hit around 8:45PM but not a surprise with the rain we had yesterday. Had fun but light pollution is moderate for me and it will be hard to hit some of the fainter stuff unless I set up in a darker area which isn't a problem. Clear skies... Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics