• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Wearing eye glasses is new to me. I have a real hard time with the dew when observing...I use a hair dryer ,but it always comes back.
First question : If I don't wear them ,I can focus the telescope to my eye. Why some people still wears them ??
Second question : When I have to wear them ( when doing 3 stars alingment ) what should I do to prevent that from happening ?? There are product that exist for that but are they working fine ??
Thank you!
Maxx

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Unless one has notable astigmatism, it's generally not necessary to keep glasses on when peering through an eyepiece. And if astigmatism is relatively bad, at higher magnifications (smaller exit pupils) one may still not require to keep glasses on.

As to fogging up, the simplest expedient is to keep your glasses inside your coat when not being worn.

#3 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Unless one has notable astigmatism, it's generally not necessary to keep glasses on when peering through an eyepiece. And if astigmatism is relatively bad, at higher magnifications (smaller exit pupils) one may still not require to keep glasses on.

As to fogging up, the simplest expedient is to keep your glasses inside your coat when not being worn.

Yeah ! In my coat ,I will do that.
Thanks Glenn !
Maxx

#4 John Kuraoka

John Kuraoka

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I wear glasses when I'm viewing because I share the scope with my wife and two kids, who all have perfect vision. So it's easiest for everyone if I just wear my glasses.

#5 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

I wear glasses most of the time when I observe these days too. This is going to very from person to person. And rightly so.
I do it because of astigmatism, sharing the view with others, and tiring of the eyeglass shuffle every time I wanted to look at the sky, thru a finder, check a chart or data table, and just generally seeing around the observing site. If one's observing place is screened or removed from intrusive lighting, and one's glasses are truly clean, then it works well.

Small lens glasses are the bee's knee's for countering glasses fog-up. In higher humidity during the summer, and during colder weather observing. If they fog up, mine pretty much un-fog themselves by just stepping away from the focuser for a moment. An added few waves of the hand in from of the glasses is all the extra help required, if needed.

I have two pair of small lens glasses.
One has small glass lenses, and they are one of the best observing accessories I've ever owned.
Crystal clear, superior scratch resistance, light weight, super easy to keep clean. For astronomy, and for forest, field, water and trail.
The other pair is modern polycarb, for every day knocking around in. Chores, errands and work.

When I had larger sized glasses in the past, I too found an upper body pocket to be a good way to un-fog them.

#6 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I wear glasses when I'm viewing because I share the scope with my wife and two kids, who all have perfect vision. So it's easiest for everyone if I just wear my glasses.

That makes a lot of sens John. Thank you for answering !
Maxx

#7 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I wear glasses most of the time when I observe these days too. This is going to very from person to person. And rightly so.
I do it because of astigmatism, sharing the view with others, and tiring of the eyeglass shuffle every time I wanted to look at the sky, thru a finder, check a chart or data table, and just generally seeing around the observing site. If one's observing place is screened or removed from intrusive lighting, and one's glasses are truly clean, then it works well.

Small lens glasses are the bee's knee's for countering glasses fog-up. In higher humidity during the summer, and during colder weather observing. If they fog up, mine pretty much un-fog themselves by just stepping away from the focuser for a moment. An added few waves of the hand in from of the glasses is all the extra help required, if needed.

I have two pair of small lens glasses.
One has small glass lenses, and they are one of the best observing accessories I've ever owned.
Crystal clear, superior scratch resistance, light weight, super easy to keep clean. For astronomy, and for forest, field, water and trail.
The other pair is modern polycarb, for every day knocking around in. Chores, errands and work.

When I had larger sized glasses in the past, I too found an upper body pocket to be a good way to un-fog them.

It's a very good thing to know about small glass eyeglasses
I will get a pair...They will be my astronomy glasses !
Thank you very much izar187 !
Maxx

#8 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

as an eyeglass wearer for 47 years, they become a part of you. Having gotten back into the hobby seriously again 8 months ago, I've learned so basic things, which I wasn't considering.
Before going out..... wash your hands 2X and get rid of the oil. Wash your glasses and be sure there's no slight left over smudging on the glass. This can be hard to do 100% sometimes. Make sure your EP fold down lens caps are clean. They can hold tiny stuff to scratch your glasses. Learn to wear them as much as you can. The more you handle them, put them down, or put in your pocket, the faster they'll get dirty. I never put glasses in a pocket. What I do is either put them down on something or use a around the neck 'keeper' that attaches to the ear piece ends. With my eyes, there's not a 100% one way or another, mainly due to the eye relief of the EP and if there's neighbors lights on or I'm at a darker site. and I use a observers blanket over my head instead of a eye patch b/c of the eyeglasses and b/c it really keeps me warmer in the winter. Good Luck!

#9 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Never thought of the EP could scratch my eyeglasses ,but it makes sens .Thank you for helping me get use to those things !
Maxx

#10 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I need my glasses when orientating on a star to start the star hop and when using long focal length eyepieces. When I take them off I use a "Granny string" attached to the ear lugs so they can just hang around my neck. When it's cool and they are prone to fogging I leave the top of my jacket open a bit keep them like this. That way they are easy to find and have yet to fog up.

Bill

Attached Files

#11 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I took one lense out of my old pair so I could observe and still see the hand ctrl/Charts etc.
I don't have astigmatism so I get better views without
glasses.
BTW Crown White Glass lenses scatter less light than CR39
or Polycarb plastic lenses so the image is cleaner, and dont scratch if you must waer them.

#12 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yes, ep's can scratch glasses. Metal ep parts against the lenses of glasses will leave scratches IME.
To observe with them on, the eyepiece or eyepiece+barlow combo should have near to 20mm's of eye relief, and/or have fold down type rubber or other non metallic eye cups. This can require a change in the kind of ep's one uses. So there are compromises to consider.

All of my earlier ep's were metal on top. I observed without glasses and preferred it so. These days I use ones with longer eye relief, or rubber eye cups. Sometimes I'll slide the glasses up on my forehead for a look through my older ep's. But up on the forehead can really fog up glasses quickly. ; )

#13 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

:lol: Dude that looks funny...but I promise I will try I !
Maxx :lol:

#14 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Very clever the eyeglasses with one lens off...And thank you for the BTW Crown White glass...
Maxx

#15 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm lucky because so far I only have 3 EP's and they all have a folding rubber cup and good eye relief.
Thank you for answering !
Maxx

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I use a lanyard around the neck because I don't observe with glasses (not enough astigmatism to bother), yet I can't read my charts, DSC display, or read the Paracorr settings without them.
They go on and off my face a few hundred times a night. I've been doing this for 20+ years, and it never bothered me. They're always right where I left them--hanging around my neck.
And because we need a little more "oomph" in diopters to read under red light, I bought el cheapo drugstore reading glasses a half diopter stronger than my reading glasses to use in the field. Every few years I get another pair because they get scratched up with rough care. For $9.95, who cares?

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

For $9.95, that'll get me 9 pair of reading glasses at the dollar store and pay the sales tax too!!! If it gets scratched up, toss'em into the recycle bin, and grab another $1 pair. Ever since I've had the Lasik surgery, I've needed reading glasses, and the dollar store stuff works fine for reading the maps, mm size of the eyepeice, etc.....and if I lose or break them, no problem.....

#18 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Thank you Don !

#19 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I need cheap glasses like that otherwise ,I can't read my charts !
Thanks man !
Maxx

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics