Anyone try any new webcams?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stryder

stryder

Sputnik

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

So I'm thinking that a webcam is the way to roll with doing some AP with the 8SE.

Most of the people talk about the Phillips cam, which I guess used a CCD instead of a CMOS chip. Anyone out there using any of the newish Microsoft or Logitech cams that are out now? I'm wondering if the 1080p stuff makes any difference.

Thanks!

#2 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Actually the 1080p will only add to the file size. Most of us use Neximage or Neximage 5 or even a DSLR if owned.

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I just saw the neximage 5 on sale at B&H $30 off.

James

#4 stryder

stryder

Sputnik

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I saw the Nextimage 5 on Amazon and it got pretty dismal reviews. Anyone here use it?

#5 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hi stryder,

I have the old version and it is OK for lunar and planetary work. I assume the NexImage 5 is as well. Just my two cents here, but I would be very leery of relying on Amazon reviews. And I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon. You don't really know who is writing the reviews and sometimes they are written by people who just love to "flame" a product, whether they've ever really used it or not. I've gotten to where I pretty much ignore them. A better source is here on CN. Or there are several other places where you can get reviews of AP and astro equipment.

#6 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

What Skip stated. I have seen some pretty amazing images with Neximage 5 and not very far from that, with Neximage as well.

#7 TmaninTn

TmaninTn

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I would recommend the Neximage cam -the old one, which shows up on classified lists all the time, here and elsewhere. All the planetary pics I've posted in the " AP Images Taken with Original NexStar" were with the Neximage cam.

I would like to check out the Neximage5, as I can't imagine that Celestron would put out something to replace the Neximage that would be worse, but the price seems a little steep. You could get a DFK cam from the Imaging Source for cheaper and they look like better CCD cams.

Still, you can get some pretty awesome shots out of the old Neximage and an IR-Cut filter.

#8 burb scope

burb scope

Messenger

• Loc: Canton, MI

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I see the old NexImage as being comparable to my Meade LPI, and the NexImage 5 as being the upgrade path.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics