• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Warning: semi-rookie here. :D

I’ve shelved my idea of a 4” refractor for now, waiting to see what’s new that hits the market this year. In the meantime, my CPC800 just sits - I have no interest in using it, too much hassle hauling it around, carrying that bulk and weight down steps: OTA rig, tripod, powertank, dangling cables, cool-down time. Yuk. Thought it was for me but nada.

I’d like to get something with aperture and no computer, relatively lightweight and less angst managing the CPC.

It’s been said that some would rather view through a 10” with excellent optics than a 12” with OK optics.

My question is, then, how does a Dobstuff with a 10” Destiny mirror compare to something like a Sky-Watcher 12” collapsible or a Lightbridge view-wise? If I’m going to spend a grand, which one is the best choice? Will I still see the detail on the 10” Destiny mirror compared with a 12” on DSOs or will the 12" still offer an edge?

Portability is important to me, and simple. That’s why I love my 6” Newt on a Porta II. :)

Any thoughts appreciated.

#2 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

What would Jesus do?

Well, since He *created* the heavens, it makes little sense he'd want a telescope to LOOK at it...
:smirk:

But assuming He *DID* want a telescope, and considering His simple lifestyle, a 6" Newt on a handy alt-az mounting would probably suffice.

But hey- y'all already got one o'those!
:grin:

But if you're considering the premium 10 versus the off-shelf 12... either way, the differences shouldn't be worth walking on water. The 12 *could*, in actuality, turn out to be as good, optically ;)... but if the 10 was known to be of higher quality, i'd probably do that myself.
:shrug:

#3 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Awesome answers, Mike B. :)

But you're of no help. Don't take it personally.

:poke:

:grin:

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

:lol:

Shucks, and here i thot i wuz affirming this piece of wisdom:

It’s been said that some would rather view through a 10” with excellent optics than a 12” with OK optics.

I used a 10" SCT for over a decade, having prob'ly very "average" optics. Then was gifted with a VERY fine 6" F8 Newt, with excellent optics. Sure, the 10 could still go deeper, and resolve globulars better... but on critical viewing, like Jupiter, the humble li'l 6 was simply amazing!

Now, what if the same comparo was run between an excellent 10", and an "average" 12... a much closer aperture duel? One can easily see why folks would say "go for the hot 10"!
;)

#5 mogur

mogur

Apollo

• Loc: WI

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

You may want to rethink all this. A 10 or 12 inch Dob is not going to be easier to carry down stairs. Nor will it cool down faster. Your concern about optics is commendable, but if portability is so important I'd go with something smaller.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Phil:

Do you know where Destiny sources their optics? It seems like they use GSO or something similar for their secondary's. Their secondary prices are similar to agenas gso prices.

Jon

#7 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Leawood, KS, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Jesus might sell me the CPC real cheap ;)

#8 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Get a 10" Dob. A 12" is a chore to carry to the yard and a 10" is a lot less bulky and lighter. I went from a 12" to a 10" and I'm glad I did because the 10" f/4.7 also fits across the back seat of my car when I want to go to darker skies than the city I am in.

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Well, since He *created* the heavens, it makes little sense he'd want a telescope to LOOK at it...

But assuming He *DID* want a telescope, and considering His simple lifestyle, a 6" Newt on a handy alt-az mounting would probably suffice.

Being a son of a carpenter he would have been a ATM'er. :grin:

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Phil:

When you day stairs, are you talking flights of stairs or just a couple?

I don't see much future in hauling a 12 inch truss or collapseable down a flight of stairs. No hassle might be a 10 inch tube Dob if you are relatively strong. When I bought my 10 inch f/5, the seller just picked it up by the base, pushed open the screen door and carried it down a flight of stairs about 20 feet high. Mortals move 10 inch dobs in two pieces down stairs.

Jon

#11 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

12" is half again the light grasp of a 10". It's also considerably more aggravation to drag around. I currently have a 12.5".

I've had a C9.25 in the past. I presume it's about equal in aggravation to your CPC.

If stairs are involved a 10" or a 12" is no less aggravation than your SCT.

I know which 10" you're looking at. I like it also. I don't think it'll be much easier than your SCT to drag downstairs though.

#12 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Dont even think about a 12 if you have steps!
probably not even a 10! an 8 will be enough to lud up and down steps. Remember a scope is worth nothing if it sits.
You already know this. I have a 12" SCT *" and 7" Mak
My most used scope is a 127 Celestron SLT that I can pick up with one hand tripod and all.
If I plan a full night in dark skys then the 12 it is, but I must say the Bloom quickly fell off the Rose after the first 6 months with that beast!
Get what you will USE not what you think you will use.
Certainly not a 12" Dob up and down steps.

#13 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Visualize carrying a hot water tank down (and up) the stairs, and you will have a pretty good idea of the 12" portability.

JimC

#14 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

+1

Past 60 going downstairs with even a 8" dob has its own adventures and going back upstairs with it looses its luster right away.

#15 dsohunter

dsohunter

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'll just echo the thoughts that others have already mentioned. I've had a CPC800 and currently have an 8" and 14" dob. The CPC far easier getting up and down steps than a 10" or 12" dob. The 8" dob is going to be a better choice and still will require 2 trips to safely do it (although I manhandle mine in one piece down 3 back stairs often enough).

I have found that I always dream of quick setup, fast cool down, and big aperture and always come up short in one of those areas. If I were you, I'd reconsider that refractor for the days when you want a quick setup. I use an ED80 and can one hand it on a AT Voyager out the door with little cool down.

Relative to its capability, the CPC800 is quick to setup and comfortable to use. I regret selling mine, it was a spectacular travel setup. The dob will give you a bit wider field, but it still has to cool and is no easy button.

#16 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

In fact, the pic you see of me is next to my 12.5". I'm 6'2" 240lbs. Look at the scope in proportion to me. You don't want to consider dragging it up and down stairs.

That 10" you're looking at will be lighter less bulky pieces, but the number of trips and set up will be not far different than your CPC and quite likely a bit more than your CPC.

#17 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

WIth stairs involved you are probably close to optimum with your 6" and porta mount.

I find lugging a vintage 4.5" EQ on wood tripod up or down stairs (for looking out the window in really cold weather) a bit of a chore.A compact 6" Newt would be my limit for stairs.MY bigger scopes STAY on the ground level.

As long as you have stairs to deal with your scopes are going to be either small,unused, or dented.

#18 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Jesus might sell me the CPC real cheap ;)

+1 :grin:

I carry a 10" dob down a full flight of stairs regularly. It's not so much the weight of the thing as that it's cumbersome. It would be difficult with a solid tube 12". You might get away with it if you have the collapsible version from skywatcher, although I think you do need to be fit. By the way all you guys using age as a limitation can stow that bs. My meatsack is 52 and in 2012 set a personal best for squats in the gym (400lbs), which is about the weight of 8 ten inch dobs. :jump:

#19 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yep, just as I thought. My thinking is in lala land. lol Thanks for bringing me back to earth.

So, all this conniving on my part will be somewhat moot soon anyway. Since I'm looking to move back to the high desert, the stair handling issue will become moot - I'll make it moot by not buying a property with stairs. :D Think I'll just take on a holding pattern for now.

:lock:

#20 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

well if were talking solid tube dobs.

6" is carry able by the handle one handed but its still long and awkward

8" is doable but even more bulky and tends to dive down at the front because its got a larger focuser

10" forget about it, you can do it but you have to carry it straight up and down and its a heavy beast. much easier to split the tube from base and make two trips.

and the only truss i have had for any amount of time to get a feel for is a 12" lightbridge. its easier to carry in pieces than any of the above save for the 6. both the base and the LTA are rather large and quite hefty but of any that i would dare brave a flight of stairs it would probably have to be this one. get some carry bags for all the various parts except for the base and it shouldn't be a problem but it would still be a pain because you'd have to make 3 trips just for the scope itself. 1 for the base, 1 for the LTA and one for the UTA and truss bars.

if you want something quick and easy maybe a tabletop dob like a starblast 6 or something would be best.

#21 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Yep, just as I thought. My thinking is in lala land. lol Thanks for bringing me back to earth.

So, all this conniving on my part will be somewhat moot soon anyway. Since I'm looking to move back to the high desert, the stair handling issue will become moot - I'll make it moot by not buying a property with stairs. :D Think I'll just take on a holding pattern for now.

:lock:

When you get there, rent/buy ground floor, get the 12.5"....and start viewin'...thar be dark skys asparking in the high desert.....the likes of which you've never before seen.........

#22 Jason D

Jason D

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Mike, you might have violated the 4th commandment. Be afraid -- be very afraid to get struck my lightening when you least expect it !@#$%
Jason

#23 Jason D

Jason D

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

This post is meant to commemorate my 6000th post.

#24 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

This post is meant to commemorate my 6000th post.

congrats on the number of post.

but more importantly, it is the quality of your posts we appreciate

#25 lbsgville

lbsgville

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

+ 10 on that about Jason D.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics