• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have a C6 that I like using but I would like to get some more aperture so I am looking at the Apertura AD12 because I have heard good things from people about it and it has a nice list of accessories that come with it. I would just like to know if anyone has one and if they like it and how the step up from a 6" to a 12" would be. :question:

#2 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

That is a HUGE step up.

#3 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yes, it would be a massive step above your 6-inch, but it is also large and heavy. The tube is the size of a water heater, so you'll need a van, pick up, SUV or station wagon to transport it to dark site. But rest assured, with it objects you can't even see with a 6-inch will be nicely apparent through a 12-inch, or at least visible.

Taras

#4 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Ya I have seen some 12" dobs and I've seen how big they are. I've got a truck so transporting it will not be a problem.

#5 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Kildar,
I have the same dob, a Zhumell Z12. I purchased it after owning a 70mm refractor so it was a BIG jump for me. I really have enjoyed using it for over 3 years now. Yes, it is rather large (14 inches in diameter by approx. 60 inches tall). Completely assembled it weighs approx. 75-80 pounds. BUT, I can have the scope outside in less than 5 min. by taking the OTA out then the base or vice versa. For the price I think the Zhumell or the Apertura are hard to beat IMHO.

Gary

#6 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

My bet is you'd love it and the C6 would gather dust. This assumes you're after DSOs.

#7 jimdp

jimdp

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I also have the z12...AWESOME....just save yourself a lot of stress and time and purchase a real collimation tool with it..I bought a Hotech (2")..and solved a lot of issues ..I'm sure there are a lot of better ones too..the views with the 12 have been some of the best in my sky quest adventure..being 55 myself and using a handcart...moving it around is pretty simple..

#8 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Then you will be very happy with this telescope, given there are a least 5,000 galaxies alone you can find with it. You could also add digital setting circles to it later, which can be linked to your PC or laptop allowing you to locate anything that is visible through a 12-inch from your location. To make bringing it outside and then back inside easier, you can use a hand truck or put threaded inserts into the base and make wheelbarrow like handles that thread into them with eye-bolts.

Taras

#9 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Well I use my 6" for my AP so I was hoping to set that up and take photos with it and while its doing its thing I will look through the 12". Any filter recommendations? And eyepieces?

#10 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Probably the single biggest upgrade to my 12" was a set of Velstraps with handles on the OTA. Makes moving it a LOT easier. When it's easier to move, you will use it more.

#11 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

If you don't want to pay the premium price for TeleVue and other high end eyepieces, I suggest looking into the Explore Scientific eyepieces, especially the 82 degree line. They handle faster telescopes very well and in general are really good eyepieces, in light of their price point they are a very good deal. As you can see from my signature, I use them myself, all except for the 30mm model. I would also acquire a narrowband and a O-III nebula filter, which will serve well for the vast majority of nebulae that are not merely reflecting starlight to Earth. Later you can acquire a H-beta to cover the remaining nebulae that are best served with that filter. As for coma correctors, some folks skip them at F/5, others consider them a must. If you're thinking about buying one, try one and see if the improvement is enough to warrant purchasing one.

Taras

#12 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to get one TeleVue maybe a nagler or something.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics