Photo

latitude angle setter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Hi Everybody, :question: After running into a digital angle setter for longitude is there such a thing as digital angle setter for latitude? I hope there is. De Lorme

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi Everybody, :question: After running into a digital angle setter for longitude is there such a thing as digital angle setter for latitude? I hope there is. De Lorme

Based on your other thread regarding setting circles for a Dob, are you actually inquiring about longitude and latitude or about AZIMUTH and ALTITUDE? Assuming you're now asking about altitude, a digital inclinometer would work well for your application.

#3 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Dude:

You have a DOB. A DOB is a simple and elegant instrument.

You are WAY over thinking this.

Forget about all the fancy gizmos and blinking lights.

Take a chill pill, then take your DOB outside and just observe.

The fresh air will do you good....

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but in 8 years I've never had a battery fail in this (Home Depot, $9.99)

Attached Files

#5 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of convience and ACCURACY. They still matter dom't they? Hi Jim, I'ts
hard to read those little lines. I'd keep extra batteries just in case. But my question has not been answered. Possibly because there isn't such a gadget. Is there a digital Azimuth setter?
In regards to setting circles; It's hard to do any ajustment at night in 20 degree weather. I've read some people cannot find Polaris because of some obstruction or weather and use the magnetic declination method{which can be done during the day when the weahter is much nicer} and have found it to be accurate. I will find this out for my self hopefully by the end of the month.
I mounted the helical focuser yesterday. Will put on new Ebony strips tommorrow. Next clean the mirror and do some midifications on the mirror board. Last paint the tub inside and out. Wish I could afford to Prostar it and buy a better mirror cell. Mabey next year. Mabey If we all look we might find a digital Azimuth setter. De Lorme

#6 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

This Astro-fix Locator is probably what you are looking for but I have yet to find a review from anyone that has used it.

If I may, I would also recommend that you read up a little on the differences between Latitude & Longitude and Altitude & Azumith and Right Ascension & Declination. Using the right terms will aid us in helping you in the future. Good luck with your project.

Eric

#7 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

I Apologize for the confusion of terms. Since {to me} there
is simularities between the three I did'nt realize that there is a distinct differance. I will check into it more.
Eric Many thanks for telling me about Astro-Fix Locator.
About a week ago I ran into Rod Nabholz article "A Different Way to get there". I saw how looked for the possiblity of a better system and he found it.
These are really great times for astronomy. Such advances in technology that make life so much easer and fun.
Thanks again Eric, for putting forth the effort.
I think Rod needs to know about this. I'm going to tell him now. Happy New Year! De Lorme

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics