Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Review: iOptron 6002 900X70 Refractor Telescope

By James Burke

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for this very informative article. This is the kind of scope one could be tempted to buy as a gift for a young family member - clearly not a good idea.

#3 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I still don't know why junk like this is still sold. So may young people or even adults would be turned off to astronomy after trying to use something like this. The bigger question is why companies that sell "real" equipment would put their name on this stuff that would almost guarantee no future sales?

#4 Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

The bigger question is why companies that sell "real" equipment would put their name on this stuff that would almost guarantee no future sales?

The answer is, sadly, that the companies are selling tons of junk and few "real" telescopes.
In the real world there are thousands of children (and adults) that want a telescope, but their parents (or themselves) do not want to pay more than 100 $ or €, preferibly less, for a "toy". So they buy exactly a toy.
There are then few persons willing to became an amateur astronomer that know what to buy, and will form their opinion about the company on the quality of the "real" telescopes (and often they spend something between 100 and 500 $/€). There are much less enthusiasts willing to pay more than 1'000 $/€.

I do not know the numbers of the astro-market, but I will not be surprised if a company will sell few millions of "toy" telescopes, few thousands of "serious" telescopes, and few high-end telescopes.
And I will not be surprised if more than half of the company profit will came from the "toy" telescopes.
And probably 99% of the people that buy the "toy" telescopes are persons that either will buy a <100$ telescope or will not buy a telescope; only the 1% are persons that know how to fix the problems (IF can be fixed) or that can recognize the error and have enough passion to buy a serious telescope.

This is why it is important to educate people to amateur astronomy.

#5 Jim_B

Jim_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: UT

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Last word? I was the author of this review. I have purchased several classic scopes including a Unitron 114. All of them needed work. All had been used or somewhat abused. My point with the Ioptron is that for a little work, I got a good scope that even looks nice. Repairing scopes requires experience and experience requires making mistakes. Start with a used scope or something like this and if you break something, no biggie! If you, on the other hand, are successful, then you have a new skill for your hobby for those rainy nights and you can buy and restore a classic with confidence. By the way, the colerful little ioptron is attractive to kids and wows them with moon craters and other sights.

#6 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Last word? I was the author of this review. I have purchased several classic scopes including a Unitron 114. All of them needed work. All had been used or somewhat abused. My point with the Ioptron is that for a little work, I got a good scope that even looks nice. Repairing scopes requires experience and experience requires making mistakes. Start with a used scope or something like this and if you break something, no biggie! If you, on the other hand, are successful, then you have a new skill for your hobby for those rainy nights and you can buy and restore a classic with confidence. By the way, the colerful little ioptron is attractive to kids and wows them with moon craters and other sights.

Well put sir! Yours is a refreshingly optimistic voice to hear, thank you for your review.

Folks that can help newbies with budget scopes like these, to bring their equipment to its fullest potentials and teach the owner more about the basics, are one of the greater assets to our hobby in my opinion.

Few other things can help to foster growth in amateur astronomy as well as such actions can in my mind, as these sorts of telescopes are everywhere and are here to stay. Many, many people will NOT buy something more expensive, but if this is all they have and what they will use to show their friends, neighbors, kids, etc. objects such as Luna, the planets and what not, well then may as well help them to make the most of the gear and to encourage use, not discourage it by saying that it is rubbish, and that one cannot join this fine hobby until one has spent x amount of dollars ..

All of my refractors and reflectors happen to be very budget-minded (Costco 102GT special, Adorama Skywatcher clearance, Opt ota blowouts, etc.), but I have done TONS of homework and have chosen carefully. You have given me some good ideas here to bear in my mind for the future should I need to help someone with refractors like these (which apparently make up the huge majority of telescopes out there).

Enjoy your new and improved aluminum achromatic and great skies to you, cheers, Leo

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

With all due respect, this ended up being a decent scope for you, because you knew that there was potential and you knew how to fix it up to realize that potential.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of folks who buy a scope like this take it outside and discover a shaky mount and telescope that they can't even use. After an hour or so of frustration, the scope goes into a closet or the garage never to be used again. The parents who bought the scope think to themselves, "That's what we thought, Johnny would play with it for an hour or so and lose interest. Glad we didn't spend more money for something he wouldn't use".

Most young people know nothing about telescopes, eyepieces, mounts or astronomy clubs and probably don't know another person who has a telescope to whom they can go to for help. All that happens is that the kid tries to see a cool view of the Moon or Jupiter and fails.

I find this rather disheartening. I know because I was there when I received my first "toy" 60mm telescope as a gift that was all but useless. At least I was old enough, curious enough and had enough money to take it back and buy a better 4.5" model for about 150% more money. That one was good enough to grab me for life.

I don't think a lot of people ever take that second step.

#8 UND_astrophysics

UND_astrophysics

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

I will buy one, sounds like a great little scope. For the price it cannot be beat, looks much better than that junk powerseeker 80 I was using for viewing with the kids. I have owned 6 ioptron scopes and mounts, and I could care less what others who wouldn't know any better say. Thanks for the report.

#9 nicklane1

nicklane1

Mariner 2

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Not your typical review. Very educational.

#10 UND_astrophysics

UND_astrophysics

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

I bought one, added teflon strips to the drawtube to tighten it,, wooden legs from GTO, and installed an iOrion EQ2 motor drive with hand controller. Very cool telescope. If you put a little work into it, the optics are superb, no joke.

#11 Giant8000

Giant8000

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Jim, or any one,
You said the tube stop was in the wrong place, effectively stopping the objective way down so you moved it to the correct location and added a second stop.
Can you provide more details on that?
How to determine the correct location? how you affixed it there? How to do that? any pictured.
Thanks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics