• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BBillyC

BBillyC

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hello. Getting rid of the Meade 8" SCT and I am about to purchase an AP Mach 1 with an Eagle Pier. I am confused about what plates to order. I will be also purchasing a TMB 130. An Orion Short Tube 80 will handle the guiding on top of the TMB. In order to buy all the plates I need at the same time which ones will I need to complete the set-up. Thanks Bill

#2 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I have a Mach1 with Eagle Pier. My imaging scope is C-8 EdgeHD.

I use A-P DOVELM162 16" saddle. I highly recommended it over A-P DOVELM2 8" saddle. You may get a longer scope in the future. If your TMB 130 comes with short Losmandy dovetail, you can use two out of three knobs from DOVELM162 saddle to secure the short dovetail. Or get a 15" or longer dovetail for your TMB. My dovetail is 13.5" long and fits perfectly in all three knobs of A-P 16" saddle.

I use ADM dovetail for my C-8 EdgeHD. ADM makes high quality accessories.

http://www.admaccess...s_Universal.htm

ADM D Series Universal Bars (Losmandy dovetails) comes with different lengths and bolt patterns in English or Metric. The bolt patterns depends on your tube rings. Tube rings will bolt to Losmandy dovetails. You will need to know whether the bolt patterns of your tube rings is English (2" or 3.5") or Metric (60mm).

For mounting your guide scope, it depends on your tube rings. Contact ADM for suggestions.

Click on "Peter's Galleries" in my signature and click on "Current Equipment" at my web site to look at pictures of my equipment.

I recommend to get extra thick 1.875" counterweight shaft. It's the same thickness as A-P900 and larger mounts. This way you can use same counterweights for larger A-P mounts. The extra thick CW shaft does not cost much.

Peter

#3 BBillyC

BBillyC

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi Peter. Thanks for the info and the link. It is very helpful especially the photo info on your website.

#4 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I also just wanted to say thanks for the link to you SmugMug gallery -- I looked at this thread because I received my own Mach1 and Eagle pier just before Christmas. Haven't had a chance to put them to use yet -- still waiting on some final components to what will become my imaging rig -- but it's nice to see how you handled cable and power management. (I built my own power supply also.)

-- Chris

#5 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hi Chris,

Glad my pictures helped.

Enjoy your new Mach1!!! You will love it!!!

FYI. I no longer use a polar scope since I never use it. So I removed it and bundled the cables through the sight hole where polar scope used to be. Cable management now looks cleaner. I use the cool A-P Quick Drift polar alignment using the finderscope. It's dead accurate and very quick. Look at Keypad 4.17 supplement document, not Keypad 4.12 for Quick Drift Alignment.

Peter

#6 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

You can have your cake and eat it too. You can use the polar scope with the cables inside the mount. You just might have to move the wire out of the way a half inch.

#7 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hi Chris,

Glad my pictures helped.

Enjoy your new Mach1!!! You will love it!!!

FYI. I no longer use a polar scope since I never use it. So I removed it and bundled the cables through the sight hole where polar scope used to be. Cable management now looks cleaner. I use the cool A-P Quick Drift polar alignment using the finderscope. It's dead accurate and very quick. Look at Keypad 4.17 supplement document, not Keypad 4.12 for Quick Drift Alignment.

Peter

Thanks for the tip! I'm still waiting on my right angle polar scope, so the Quick Drift is pretty much my only option at the moment! Lol

-- Chris

#8 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

You can have your cake and eat it too. You can use the polar scope with the cables inside the mount. You just might have to move the wire out of the way a half inch.

I velieve somebody mentioned using a small tune on the front of the Polar Scope such that it clears the cable out of the way.

Is that getting Milk with the cake? :grin:

#9 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

My only reason for getting rid of the polar scope is a little cleaner cable management, that's all. I never use the polar scope and it's inaccurate anyway. Even if the reticule is calibrated, the rotating collar of polar scope designed for Mach1 is a little bit out of round. Rotating Mach1's RA axis does not rotate the polar scope so A-P added a rotating collar to rotate the polar scope but I do not like it.

A-P new Right Angle Polar Scope (RAPS) is a different animal. The only thing you must do is to do a very accurate polar alignment like drift alignment or PEMPro in order to calibrate the RAPS. You only have to calibrate once.

Peter

#10 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I decided to get an ADM dual saddle plate for my Mach1.
http://admaccessorie...ies_Saddles.htm
It's only 7" long but that works with my scopes. I like the fact that the ADM had a continuous clamp for the dovetail bar and that gives me a little more range when I need to slide the scope back and forth for quick balancing. I also like that I can use either Vixen or Losmandy style without changing the saddle.
The only drawback is that ADM does not make a saddle with the bolt pattern for the Mach1 so I had to modify mine by having a local machine shop add additional holes. I was only able to capture 2 of the 4 holes on top of the Mach 1 but that is sufficient given that my scopes aren't that heavy. So far it has worked great.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics