First night with C9.25 and Wedge the good and bad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Last night I took my new CPC 9.25 out with the wedge. I didn't take my computer out but I did do some short exposure photography of M1. I thought I would share a couple of good and bad points that I experienced that might help other users.

The Good:
  • In general I found a wedge easier to operate vs. a GEM mount. However I have only used cheap non goto GEM mounts. I will say that this a very stable setup.
  • Polar alignment was very easy using ASPA. My only wish was that the latitude knob was easier to reach and that the alt-azm knobs were smoother when turning.
  • Vignetting was significantly less with my Canon T3 on the C9.25 vs. my previous C6.
  • Getting the telescope on the wedge was easier than I expected. HOWEVER this really is a two person job. If my wife hadn't been there to help I think this would have been a negative point. The big thing a second person can help you with is positioning the scope over the holes for the other knobs.
The Bad:
  • The wedge was easy to assemble but the instructions are very poor. For starters, you must remove the swivel knob in order to get the latitude screw far enough back to insert the knob into the L bracket.
  • For some reason I just don't have luck with screws. My L bracket seems to be missing 3. However it doesn't appear to be causing any stability issues.
  • Thus far Polar alignment doesn't seem to have gained me a lot in the way of unguided exposure time vs. my Nexstar or CPC mounted alt-azm. I was able to get about 70% of my 25 second exposures of M1 with pinpoint stars. 30 seconds seemed to drop a little lower than that. I was only using my Canon's live view to do the ASPA so maybe if I used an illuminated eyepiece it would be better. However, the display alignment said I was only off by 00^00'01" in one direction and perfect in the other. Also the CPC has the same issue as the Nexstar in that you need to let it sit for about 30 seconds after slewing to the object before taking shots for some reason. I also didn't have PEC engaged because I didn't know if it came preloaded from the factory. Maybe I should have used this? Next time I'll take my computer out and try doing 60 second exposures.
  • The clutch in the base of the scope gets stuck in the cold. This means you have to move the scope inside with it still engaged.
  • I noticed that my diagonal has a scratch in it. I noticed a line last time I was out when I was collimating and noticed the same line this time. Upon examination with flash light I found a small scratch in the diagonal glass above the mirror. If I contact Celestron will they send me a new one?

#2 stellarpod

stellarpod

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Nice write-up. I had very similar experience assembling my Celetron HD Pro wedge. There were two screws missing from my L-brackets - one on each side. However, all of them were loose, which made me suspect that two had perhaps vibrated out during transit. I retrieved the plastic wrapping and shook it out over the box. Sure enough, the two missing screws fell out of the plastic.

I hope to have my 925 mounted and viewing tonight. Headed to Astronomics right now to pick up a pair of 90mm rings to mount my AT65EDQ to the dovetail on top.

#3 DXVictor

DXVictor

Sputnik

• Loc: Clark, CO

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for the writeup. I have the same setup - CPC 9.25 and HD Pro Wedge. I haven't tried it out yet because Winter weather here in the Rockies is a bit too extreme for much observing. I was kind of expecting better performance. Well, I'll have to move 4 feet of snow from my observing location and give it a try soon. I'd be very interested to here about anyone else's experience with the CPC and HD Wedge.

#4 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Yup, I picked up an HD wedge on eBay (at quite a nice price!) a couple of months ago, but haven't gotten out to assemble and try it out. As DXVictor mentioned, it's been a bit wicked cold in Colorado to spend much time fidgeting with the new hardware.

I have the CPC1100 so it will be interesting to see how easy it is to "drop" that 65 pounds onto the wedge! ;-) Also have a Canon 6D I'm anxious to try out as well. The high ISO is amazing on this camera!!

Best,

Jim

#5 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the writeup. I have the same setup - CPC 9.25 and HD Pro Wedge. I haven't tried it out yet because Winter weather here in the Rockies is a bit too extreme for much observing. I was kind of expecting better performance. Well, I'll have to move 4 feet of snow from my observing location and give it a try soon. I'd be very interested to here about anyone else's experience with the CPC and HD Wedge.

The good news is that the more time I have spent with the mount/wedge the better the polar align has become. I can now get about 45 seconds to a minute unguided. ASPA definitely makes it easy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics