• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie Skerl

Bernie Skerl

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: newburgh indiana

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Is anyone using remote desktop to control their scope?

#2 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

yes. I now have two setups so I switched to the Remote Desktop Connection Manager. Both are fine.

#3 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

I use Remote Desktop to control everything in my roll-away observatory (except opening the doors and rolling it back/away and closing it back up.)

I'm running a mixture of Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro on my computers. For me, Remote Desktop works without any problems and has the best performance. I tried other remote access programs such as GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, UltraVNC, TightVNC and a few others), and what I had with all of those aps was jerky/slow screen updates. I wish I had the same experience as so many others using the free remote access programs. It just didn't work out for me.

The downside for Remote Desktop for Windows is the requirement for the "Pro" version of Windows 7 or XP.

#4 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm running a mixture of Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro on my computers. For me, Remote Desktop works without any problems and has the best performance. I tried other remote access programs such as GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, UltraVNC, TightVNC and a few others), and what I had with all of those aps was jerky/slow screen updates. I wish I had the same experience as so many others using the free remote access programs. It just didn't work out for me.

The freebees also have annoying access limitations as well as poor operating characteristics. Your not the only one that gave up on them. I suspect many of the freebee users around here have never used any commercial software. That's the only reason I can think why they keep recommending the free versions. One way or the other you end up paying for the software.

I'm using Net Support Manager. Might be interesting to compare it with Remote Desktop. Net Support has a rather large Client running at the remote computer. That is only an issue on the oldest of the PC's I have in the observatory. The graphics are very good compared to the free versions but not still not 100%. I guess there's some sacrificing for speed. I could live with a slower response time for 100% screen reproduction.

#5 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Berine,

Read this Post. At the end it covers your subject in detail.

http://www.cloudynig...5607987/page...

Luck, Bill

#6 Steve Drapak

Steve Drapak

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

TeamViewer works well for me. It handles the OpenGL graphics that Remote Desktop doesn't, so I can see what Starry Night is doing on the remote machine.

#7 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

The freebees also have annoying access limitations as well as poor operating characteristics. Your not the only one that gave up on them. I suspect many of the freebee users around here have never used any commercial software. That's the only reason I can think why they keep recommending the free versions. One way or the other you end up paying for the software.

Actually, I gave up on remote desktop because it would not support Open GL. I do a lot of remoting into servers to run detailed simulations, but I needed something to support Open GL. I found UltraVNC supported my needs perfectly. It's also what I currently use for my remote setup and I've never had any problem with it.

I use both commercial and freeware and if the freeware does not do the job, I junk it. However, lots of freeware does an outstanding job. Look at all the ASCOM software, GNU software and graphics software.

Regards,

Charlie B

#8 shams42

shams42

Apollo

• Loc: Kingsport, TN

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have had great success using LogMeIn.com

#9 morrisng2

morrisng2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I tried Splashtop and it is a great program. Basically, it treat your desktop graphics as video and simply stream the media to remote devices (PC, Mac, iOS, Android.) Very light in memory usage and it is fast (up to 30fps).

http://www.splashtop.com/home

The apps for the mobile devices does cost a few dollars if that is one of the consideration.

- Morris

#10 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Splashtop looks very interesting. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Charlie B

#11 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I've used the freeware program, TightVNC for many years for telescope control. I get a full color, full screen refresh in around a second and it never crashes. I've been very happy with it.

I'd probably switch to Remote Desktop, but my observatory computer is only running Windows XP Home.

#12 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

UltraVNC works fine for me for remote telescope control, even with framing and focusing. However, I'm always looking for something better.

Regards,
Charlie B

#13 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I am giving Splashtop a try. The refresh rate is way better than RD ...which I really needed. Looking really good.

#14 raf1

raf1

Viking 1

• Loc: south Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I have had great success using LogMeIn.com

+1

#15 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I installed it, but when executing it required access outside my local network. I consider that a security problem and declined.

Regards,

Charlie B

#16 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I use Ultra VNC but I just tried Remote Desktop between my XP Pro Laptop and my Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit desktop machine and everything works fine as well.

#17 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

My problem with Remote Desktop is that it is not available on the computers I use for astronomy. I do have it on my work computer and I does work good when there is no need for open GL graphics.

Regards,

Charlie B

#18 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

I found Splashtop taking significant CPU resources and that was unacceptable with autoguiding and other stuff running. I am sticking to RD.

#19 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

a question for those using tightVNC...
can this be used without going across the net. like keep it in a LAN?

Theo

#20 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I have been using Splashtop for over a year. I am very happy with it. I know it makes the remote computer sweat a little bit but that didn't caused me any ill effects so far. Besides, I am not staying connected all the time. Once I start my shooting sequence I come back home to spend some time with the family. Of course, my mind is at the scope. Once in a while I check if everything is ok, like whether the temperature has changed significantly or PHD is fooled by the clouds etc. Then disconnect. Update rates and connection speed is very good.

#21 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I use remote desktop and tightvnc, and I like tightvnc a little better. It seems to respond to remote commands quicker and is very easy to use. I use both of these programs over my LAN. I have never tried to connect to my computer over WAN using a DNS server.

#22 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Carol,

does one have to use a router in order to use tightVNC on a LAN?
I had tightVNC working, but it was across the web, which slowed it down a lot. how does one get it to work through a LAN? can you give me a few hints?

Theo

#23 akawaka

akawaka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Calabasas, CA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Of the VNC-variants, I find tightVNC to be the most optimal. Make sure you install the DFMirage mirror driver if you are using it, it is a separate download. Speeds things up a lot and reduces CPU load. Also, you need to be using a tightVNC client to get full advantage of all of tightVNCs performance features, though any VNC client will work.

Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) will usually outperform VNC in general UI usage, but when it comes to non-standard UI components (video, images, the entire backyardEOS (!) UI), it can be a toss up. tightVNCs JPEG compression may help you on a slow link, but if you are on a home network it may not matter.

There are some other things to consider when comparing VNC and RDP. It is a lot easier to share sessions with VNC. In my case I have my ipad and my desktop PC connecting to my netbook outside over VNC. They can all connect at once and see and share the same view. With RDP connecting from one place will usually disconnect the other (I think there may be a way to share, but I've never used it). VNC will work on and with pretty much anything windows, linux, bsd, os x, android, ipad, web. There are vnc servers and clients for pretty much everything.

On the other hand, RDP isn't limited to the resolution of the devices display. My netbook has a tiny little 1024x600 display which some windows don't even fit on correctly, when I connect using RDP I can use whatever resolution I want on the remote display. A 3 year old 1GB netbook it pretty cheap now and is more than powerful enough to run image capture and control software. If you are turned off by the tiny displays and terrible trackpads RDP could be a good solution here, just run it "headless" with the screen closed and interact with it completely over RDP.

#24 George P Dunham

George P Dunham

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pinecliffe,CO USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I have been using the Mac OS equivalent Share Screen which has been seamless until Mountain Lion upgrade and has become too slow and unstable. Anyone experience this too?

#25 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hi Theo. I do use a wireless router. If you've got it working over the web, then you really have it all set up. I'm assuming your computer has a static IP address. If not, I found it to work better if the computer has a static LAN IP address. When you open the VNC window, just type the LAN IP address. If you have assigned a specific port number to that particular computer, you can enter that too. For example, just type: my IP address:3333. "my IP address" is your computer's LAN IP. When I used remote desktop, I assigned my computer a specific port number to increase security, but that's really not necessary for LAN.

I've never used Tight VNC over the web. I do have an account with DynamicDNS, but have never used it. Could you explain how you get it working over the web? Thanks!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics