Photo

2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Well it's a new year and time to look ahead to this years star parties.

The dates for the 2013 Staunton River Star Parties are;

Spring: March 7 - 10
Fall: October 1 - 6

The Spring Star Party is a low key event. It is a three day event with no schedualed speakers but we are considering an open astronomy talk forum. If an attendee has a topic they would like to share with his/her fellow astronomers, we will schedule a time.

The October Star Party will be the more structured event. Watch the website, www.stauntonriver-starparty.org for further details.

We'll see you soon.

Jayme

#2 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Here's a photo from October. What a great event!

Attached Files

#3 prmoore

prmoore

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Registration for the Spring party is now open.

#4 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure if I can make the event yet. When do you guys typically close the spring registration?

#5 1983cowboy

1983cowboy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

AAARGH! My job just threw me a curve ball and I won't be able to go this spring.
I hope your spring attendance numbers don't hurt your plans for the star party in the fall. I guess I'm a little gun-shy after the demise of the MASP last year. I really want to do my part to make sure the Staunton River event stays on the calendar for years go come. I've already made some pretty solid plans for the dates in October.
Last year's meeting in the fall was one of the best events I'd ever attended, start to finish (at least for the two nights I spent there...)
Clear skies!

#6 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Baring any unforeseen circumstances (like that which stifled our efforts in October), my wife and I will be coming down for both the Spring and Fall events.

We both like to play tennis and I see from the aerial shot of the state park that they've got tennis courts within walking distance of the observing field. Do you know if they'd be open for us to use?

Really looking forward to this event. Thanks,

#7 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I've registered and, if the unforeseen or weather intervene so that I cannot go, I consider the registration fee as a donation to help keep it going. I first attended in October and, as been said before, I consider it the best of the 4 events I plan to attend regularly (AHSP, StarQuest, Staunton River and Cherry Springs) each year.

Regards,

Charlie B

#8 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Just got the email. Registration closes March 1.

Charlie B

#9 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi Robert,

Yes all of the amenities are open for us to use with exception of the swimming pool. Game, Set, Match!

We're looking forward to seeing you and your wife in a month. :jump:

Jayme

#10 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

There will be a couple of Vendors coming to the Spring Star Party. AstroGizmos and Hands On Optics will be attending. I just wanted everyone to know because the website says that there will be no vendors.

Jayme

#11 moonworm

moonworm

Sputnik

• Loc: Simpsonville, S.C

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Sounds good to me. I plan on making it. I had a really good time back in October. I really thought that I was go not going back till the Fall, But what the heck, I can't wait a whole year to go back. :)

Jim

#12 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

If you came to the Fall Party and purchased a buttomless cup of coffee, the park says bring it with you for this party and for I believe $6 you can continue filling it up. :-)

Jayme

#13 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I just realized that daylight savings begins on March 10th at 2am, so we'll lose an hour of sleep on the last night before heading home!

#14 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

What is the western horizon like? I'm just wondering if we'll be able to see Comet PANSTARRS at all. It'll be around 4-5ยบ above the horizon on the 9th and 10th.

#15 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm officially registered, as are 2 friends. We'll be the group with the CPC1100, 25" obsession, and my 16" with the orange shroud.

#16 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Well we're just a week away now. I went up to the park last weekend to have a look around. The field is wet as you may expect. It looks like we're going to get a break from the rain which will help dry out the field.

Food for the star party will start being served at 4:30pm on Thursday and end after breakfast on Sunday. I just wanted to let everyone know. So if you get to the park at noon Thursday, bring a lunch. There is a McDonold and Burger King in South Boston.

The park staff are excited about the return of star party. They say that we are the happiest group they get all year and that they like having us come up. They make that easy.

More info to come.

Jayme

#17 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

There are two more days to register for the Spring Staunton River Star Party. Registration closes Friday March 1st at 11:59:59pm

So if you are thinking about coming, you still have a little time. :question:

Jayme

#18 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

How well does this field drain? The next storm front appears to be hitting some time around the 5th and 6th.

Is wind usually an issue here? We might see a little extra wind thursday night after it all blows out.

#19 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

The field is quite flat so it doesn't drain quickly. Last year the it rained 3" the night before we got there. Fortunately the sun came out and the winds blew and the field firmed up but was still wet.

The park will pull out trailers with their tractor if the need arises. They'll have us pull out our cars and they'll pull the trailor to you.

Right now the forecast is changing by the minute. I'll go nuts if I keep watching it. :p

Jayme

#20 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

I've got 4WD and am just in a tent, but I do wonder how much my dob, which is pretty heavy, will sink down into the ground.

The forecast is crazy, we might see a foot or two of snow even.

#21 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

I've been following the changing forecast too and I will wait a couple of days before making anything final. Last year there were a few wet areas, but most of the field was firm and dry.

Charlie B

#22 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

Would large amount of snow cancel the event and/or close the park?

#23 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Observing field updat:
I went out to the observing field yesterday, Sunday, and it was in fairly good shape. There are a couple of wet areas but these are the usual spots. All in all the field is in good condition.

Of course it will change tomorrow night into Wednesday but the forcast is calling for the weather to clear out by Wednesday night. With luck, there will be little rain or snow and it will soak in by noon Thursday.

The park does NOT close because of snow. Fallen trees and lose of power will close the park but not snow. :)

I also wanted to let folks know that there is a swap meet on Saturday morning until noon. So bring your items that you may want to sell or swap.

If any thing changes I will post it here.

Jayme

#24 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Well, with all the best layed plans, we have no control over the weather. It's in the hands of a much higher authority. :foreheadslap:

The star party is still on have no doubt. However, do be careful if you are coming from a snow covered area. The most important thing is that everyone is safe. :crazy:

The weather has pretty much wiped out our vendors. AstroGizmos is snowed in with 6 to 8 inches of snow and it's still coming. Hands on optics wasn't going to come do to a miss understanding but Gary probably couldn't make either. :bawling:

Sorry folks.

I just wanted to let you know.

The park says they are getting some snow, but it's not sticking. At least it wasn't at 10am. The park is ready for us to show up. :jump:

I'll see you either tomorrow or in the next few days. :)

Jayme

#25 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I will be there Friday at the latest.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics