2013 Staunton River Star Party Dates

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

We're just getting 75% rain in the mixed precip right now east of DC. It's supposed to switch to heavy snow later but I think leaving thursday late morning is totally doable. I'll probably be there thursday afternoon, especially since we have 3 clear nights in a row after this storm!

#27 spacenuut

spacenuut

Explorer 1

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Well it's in the record books for the Spring Star party. Three great nights of observing. We had some new faces but it was great seeing many returning friends. It seems that Pepper the squealing pig stole the show. A memory that will live in infamy. :roflmao:

#28 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Jayme, you and the other CHAOS members did an excellent job organizing this event along with the superb Park's staff. IMO, the informal format was great in that it didn't make you feel as though you had to adhere to a schedule constantly.

Pepper should probably become the event's mascot.

#29 eklf

eklf

Apollo

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Jayme, you and the other CHAOS members did an excellent job organizing this event along with the superb Park's staff. IMO, the informal format was great in that it didn't make you feel as though you had to adhere to a schedule constantly.

:waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :applause: :applause: :applause: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#30 robinsondd

robinsondd

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

DITTO!!!

:waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :applause: :applause: :applause: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#31 robinsondd

robinsondd

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Jayme,

Awesome star party. I too enjoyed the low key event. I did not attend the October event due to my frustrations with the heavy vehicle traffic at your inaugural event. Decided to give the event another try this spring and enjoyed it. I'm impressed again with the Park's very friendly and co-operative staff (tractor drivers!). Hope to attend for years to come.

#32 _Z_

_Z_

Vanguard

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

It was a fantastic star party despite being a little muddy in the beginning. My only complaint would be the numerous incidents with white lights, people repeatedly locking/unlocking their car, and the kid with the light up shoes that were insanely bright and really annoying our group when we were trying to bag mag 16 galaxies.

I did manage to get a couple of hickson compact galaxy clusters in my 16, including Hickson 55, with at least mag 16.6 being visible, potentially a 16.8 and 17.0 as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics