#1 alexvh

alexvh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Africa

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hi guys

I have a few issues I need clarity on:
1. How does Hubble optics mirrors compare in quality to Orion?
2. Are the mirrors from Hubble considered to be "premium" like OMI mirrors from obsession
3. Does anyone have experience with their GOTO systems?
4. Is the actual structure stable eg does it hold collimation?

Thanks in advance for any info! These scopes are very well priced and I was wondering if there was a catch!
A

#2 alexvh

alexvh

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

#3 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I have been told to even stay away from the Obsession Ultra Compacts and I'd assume the Hubble Optics Ultra Light would be about the same. Was told they dont hold their collimation very well during an observing session. He told me if I get an Obsession to buy the Classic version.
As for the Hubble mirrors I have read some good things about them and would say that they compare very favorably to Orion but wouldnt go so far as to compare them to OMI. Just my 2 pennies since nobody else has an opinion. Good luck

#4 stewarttt

stewarttt

Lift Off

• Loc: Monticello, Florida

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Alex,
I had the Hubble UL16 for about 4 months and sold it, not because I was unhappy with it, but because I will be moving to a white/red zone area and felt that I will not use it.
Having said that, here is my opinion of the scope. If you live in reasonably dark skies or have a dark site you can take it to, it's a very nice scope. It's very lite (60 lbs ) total weight with mirror ) and really feels less than that. It takes up very little space when transported in a car. When I bought the scope, I went and bought a catseye sight tube and Howie Glatter colimation tools (laser,tublug,etc) Once I learned how to colimate,I left the scope setup in my garage and could wheel it out in my backyard and colimate the scope in about 3 mins.(using Howie Glatter tublug). The colimation held pretty well. There was a slight drift if I pointed the scope towards horiz, but all in all it stayed pretty close, as I would check it every so often with the tublug and laser. It tends to be a little less stable in windy conditions. Like the other poster said, I don't think it's a premium mirror, but I would definitly put them right there with orion or LB 16 mirrors. I did not have the GOTO systems, so I cannot commit on that. Also, there are a few other posters on CN that have this scope, have done some mods to it, and are very happy with views they are getting with it. To sum up why I bought one. I wanted a 16" scope that didn't weight 150 lbs. Very portable, lite weight and priced right.

#5 bhuloka

bhuloka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have a Hubble UL 16, but not enough experience to answer all your questions. Strong point is portability/light weight, and price. VERY easy to transport, and a couple tjousand less than Obsession. Optics are good when collimated.

Scope does require tweaks to collimation during cold weather long viewing session. I always have to adjust halfway through. Warm weather will probably be better in this regard. It seems the structure contracts as it cools. So I leave it outside to cool first, and this helps, but if temp is falling, it will still drift and need a tweak.

Weakest point is movements; some stiction in altitude, and not enough friction in azimuth. There is a bump in altitude when crossing the folding bearing joint. Also some vibration at low altitudes, so best to view targets above 45 degrees.

I don't have goto. I'm planning to get it. But I don't know how good it is. I'm hoping someone with ArgoNavis/Servocat experience can look at their advertisement/web site and give an opinion about their encoders, motors, etc. This would solve the movement issues?

#6 alexvh

alexvh

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thank you for the info so far guys! Much appreciated!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics