14 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Albin

Brian Albin

Seeker

• -----
  • Loc: Western Oregon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

This is an image of M51 from Kitt Peak http://www.noao.edu/...tml/im0085.html
To the left of the neck joining 51a to 51b is the object I have cropped here. Does someone know it's designation?
Thank you

Attached Files

#2 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Galaxy IC4278

#3 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have missed this one and IC 4277 in the M51 field before, and certainly they cannot just be swept up casually. I am talking about visual detection. There was a nice thread about them on these pages:
http://www.cloudynig...4625089/Main...
I may try later this year, just out of curiosity with my aperture of course.

(The first step would be retrieving my 16", i.e. retrieving my car with it in the trunk. Unless we dealt here with some totally insane thieves, I am assuming it was towed by the city due to snow - I will withhold my judgment whether their need to do so was supposed or real. They are still going through the cars they towed to put them in the database... Coincidentally, tonight might be the only night in January good enough to go to the dark site even despite the snow depth.)

EDIT: Nope. It wasn't the city. It was actually stolen. I just went down in aperture :(

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Nope. It wasn't the city. It was actually stolen. I just went down in aperture :(

Aw, man! That sucks! :(

Any insurance that covers it? Do you have a backup scope?

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#5 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Not sure yet what I can get from the insurance for it, since it was not a standard model of any kind; it is part of the claim though. I sincerely thank you for the concern you expressed, but the truth is that I have a roomful of backup scopes. The largest are two fine 12-inchers, an LX200GPS and an Orion XT Classic. But, as of now, no vehicle to get them out of the white zone here. Did not mean to divert the thread; this was just developing as I was typing the original response. The original question has been answered though.

#6 Brian Albin

Brian Albin

Seeker

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thank you Sasa.

#7 Brian Albin

Brian Albin

Seeker

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

The reason I asked for the designation of this galaxy was so I could then look up pictures of it from large telescopes. My Google search for IC4278, IC4278 Wilson, IC4278 Palomar & IC4278 HST has returned nothing. Does anyone know where hi magnification hi res pictures of this object are stored?

#8 hbanich

hbanich

Apollo

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi Brian,

I've looked for detailed images and basic data for these two very faint galaxies without success as well so I hope someone can point us in the right direction.

Howard

#9 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have missed this one and IC 4277 in the M51 field before, and certainly they cannot just be swept up casually. I am talking about visual detection. There was a nice thread about them on these pages:
http://www.cloudynig...4625089/Main...
I may try later this year, just out of curiosity with my aperture of course.

(The first step would be retrieving my 16", i.e. retrieving my car with it in the trunk. Unless we dealt here with some totally insane thieves, I am assuming it was towed by the city due to snow - I will withhold my judgment whether their need to do so was supposed or real. They are still going through the cars they towed to put them in the database... Coincidentally, tonight might be the only night in January good enough to go to the dark site even despite the snow depth.)

EDIT: Nope. It wasn't the city. It was actually stolen. I just went down in aperture :(

I have seen IC 4278 a few times in my 14 inch f/4.6 Newtonian, but it just appears as a very small faint fuzzy spot with little other detail. It is classed as an irregular galaxy of magnitude 15.4 with a size of 0.5' x 0.4' arc, but it is unclear whether that is visual of photographic magnitude. NED and SIMBAD don't list much on that object either. Clear skies to you.

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Here's the best image I could find:
IC4278
Play around with contrast to see the background details.

#11 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

As far as the magnitude of IC 4278, LEDA gives a B magnitude of 17.2.

Although the SDSS does not have V magnitudes, we can get a pretty good estimate from the Data Release 8 values of G = 16.79 and R = 16.39. V is roughly midway between these values, so V = 16.5 or 16.6 is reasonable.

Here's the SDSS image ---

Attached Files

#12 Brian Albin

Brian Albin

Seeker

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

The images are not too good. I wrote to the space telescope program and asked for a Hubble photo to be made. I have not yet heard back from them.

#13 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Way to go!

#14 Brian Albin

Brian Albin

Seeker

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I got a reply from the Hubble targeting team today. It reads as follows.

"Thank you for your inquiry about whether it is possible for Hubble to observe IC4278. It is possible, but Hubble has not yet observed this galaxy because there has been no scientific request to do so.

Each year, astronomers around the world submit proposals to conduct science with Hubble. These observation requests are reviewed by other astronomers for their scientific merit. Given the large number of proposals received each year (over 1000), it is necessary to turn down many good proposals.
A call for proposals is issued annually. It can be found here: http://www.stsci.edu...cycle21announce
Sincerely,
STScI HST Mission Office"

Thus far, I have not thought of a scientific reason to look at this object with Hubble or other space telescopes. I am only curious to know what it looks like when it is well resolved. I think it has an interesting shape.

Brian

#15 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Link 1, picture is expandable: here
Link 2,Data with lots of links to deeper information: NED

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics