Saturn this morning....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

After nothing but clouds for about 3 weeks or so, it finally cleared up this morning !!! :yay:

So, I took my telescope out into my backyard and let it cool for about 30 minutes so I could start with some low power viewing. I first saw Saturn as I was too excited to wait and in went the 7mm XW at 160x.....well it was rippling and boiling, (of course I knew this), but I looked anyways. I then decided to back off on the power, so I put in my 10mm Pentax XW and looked at M-104. Wow, it was really nice to see it again! I knew M-13 was up, so I swung around and saw that too...but time had passed so I tried 210x on it and it was really nice! The mirror was starting to cool and images were getting a lot better so I looked for M-3 in Canes Venatici. This globular seems a bit brighter than M-13, so in went the 10mm XW and my barlow which I screwed onto my blue fireball 2", 35mm extension tube at 210x. Really nice view!!!! :jump:

Finally, after about an hour had passed, so I grabbed my 7mm Pentax XW + barlow @ 300x and I looked at Saturn...Now the mirror was really happening and the view was super sharp in the rings and I could just see a slight shadow on the left side of the planet and rings. I was also able to try out my newly made map holder that turns 360 degrees, so I can orient whatever I am seeing on the map exactly to the sky....it worked perfectly!

After that, I put in my 22mm Vixen LVW and snapped a quick pic of the moon, and I packed up and headed inside.

All in all, it was worth heading out in the cold too see some good old mornin' friends in the sky!

Cheers,

Attached Files

#2 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Attached Files

#3 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Attached Files

#4 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Vanguard

• Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Great report Mark. The weather has been... "crisp" here on the East coast, so I haven't done any observing lately - nice to see you braving the elements for a session.

Incidentally, do you throw down a tarp after your sessions to keep a clear patch in the snow? I like the idea of maintaining some bare ground for winter viewing - I may need to start doing something like that.

#5 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Shaun,

It's been rather cold lately here and very cloudy! I do have a tarp which was buried under just over a foot of snow further back in my yard, so last week after we got dumped on, I shoveled that square area you see and it only snowed a little bit on there and melted on Friday leaving bare grass, so I took advantage of that too.

The area I keep covered is 12' x 10' and I didn't want to shovel that much so I just did a small area just after the stairs, LOL.

Cheers and thanks!

#6 norton67

norton67

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Looks alot of my viewing area with all the snow.

#7 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Always fun to move snow for your scope! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Markus, you did not mention the cold. It looks cold, anyway. I remember those days, shoveling snow and freezing at the eyepiece.

Hey, you got outside and had a great session. I am waiting for Saturn to rise a little earlier.

#9 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

My hat's off to all you snowbirds who still get out to observe. I complain when the temps drop below 40.

Nice report Markus--there's nothing like that first sharp view of Saturn in a given season--a fitting reward for your snow removal efforts.

-geo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics