C5 Grab and Go to Tucson?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas729

Douglas729

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clarksville Mo.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I arrived in Tucson with the intention of traveling to Southeastern Arizona for a warm clear skies vacation but never left because the sky was perfect.

SATURDAY- 20 miles west to visit Spencer's B&B Observatory in nearby Saquaro Desert then sunset at Gates Scenic lookout point closer to Tucson. All these locals and kids show up for the sunset and I threw in Jupiter with 4 moons at dusk before they depart. Many wows and thank yous from parents and kids TOTALLY make my day.

I see no references to a beautiful clear sky vacation getaway I discovered that's ideal for astronomers with a significant other. (I am in no way associated with the establishment)

Cat Mountain Lodge bed & breakfast and Spencer's Observatory with a C14 CGE and a Meade 10" about 20 miles east of Tucson near the Saquaro National Park.

http://www.catmounta...bservatory.html

Attached Files

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Off topic, but if you get the chance, don't miss the Titan II Museum.

In particular, if you can get on the 4 hour "Top to Bottom" tour, it is the best "Museum" tour I have ever ever ever taken in my life.

Most people are unaware of the Titan II Museum and that is too bad. Wait for the next Top to Bottom tour if you are going to be there. The tours are small and book up months in advance though.

If you are interesed and decide to go, please PM me with your expierence.

#3 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Head over to Starizona at dusk and peek through their stuff.

#4 Jeronimo Cruz

Jeronimo Cruz

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

As long as you're in the area, why not visit Kitt Peak?

One of my favorite places to observe is in the Gates Pass parking lot in the Tucson Mountains. I suspect that is where you where. Sunsets are fabulous there too.

#5 Douglas729

Douglas729

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clarksville Mo.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Correct, Gates Pass to the west and Redington Pass to the east are 2 quick elevated sites.

Attached Files

#6 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Off topic, but if you get the chance, don't miss the Titan II Museum.

In particular, if you can get on the 4 hour "Top to Bottom" tour, it is the best "Museum" tour I have ever ever ever taken in my life.

Most people are unaware of the Titan II Museum and that is too bad. Wait for the next Top to Bottom tour if you are going to be there. The tours are small and book up months in advance though.

If you are interesed and decide to go, please PM me with your expierence.

+1 on the Titan II "Top to Bottom" tour. At one stop in the tour, a recording creates an alert and we witness a countdown... definitely caused a chill to run through us.

Be prepared to throw all the misinformation dispersed by Hollywood on "silo life and operations" out the window, as this Titan II silo is nothing like what we see in the movies.

#7 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Beautiful locale, Doug - I severely envy you! :coldday:

#8 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

I don't know if you are still in town, but if you are..and as the weather is turning nasty for the weekend.

The Aerospace Museum and separate Davis Monthan tour (Off Valencia, East of Rt 10 a couple of miles) is a GREAT way to spend the day.

This past week the skies have been unsettled. I hope you get a chance someday to see our better skies.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics