•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Theta Aurigae

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ziridava

ziridava

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

In the last month I try at least three times to split Theta Aurigae. ,,Trying'' don't mean a fugitive look, it mean I behave like a sniper for at least one hour,usually more.
Tonight I focused my 125mm F/7 Dobsonian first on 52 Ori and 32 Ori at 232x/7.5mm Celestron ,,orange'' Plossl +2x no name Japanese Barlow.Both were resolved,Airy disc touching and difraction rings embracing ,only occasionaly with black space between the stars.
Next I improved and checked the focus on Delta Gem and than moved to Theta Aurigae.
I saw a very faint companion,next to the third diffraction ring- quite a wide separation - at PA=about 300 degree,anyway in the last quadrant,and pretty close to/but ,,over'' / West.
Seeing was 6/10 on the Pickering scale,no clouds but air very cold and wet.
It was visible another dim star in the field but at a distance,I don't know/it don't seem/ to be part of this star system.

Mircea

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics