• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Caught a break with some 3/5 seeing. My flea frame rate issue was resolved by forcing into mode7 before starting FireCapture. My filter wheel was acting up, only working backward direction maybe due to the cold. Using my 2.5x powermate, I ran each RGB channel for 80sec at 80, 80, 45fps keeping the gain around 2700. Best 1990 frames stacked with AS2! sharpened with Reg6 and combined with WinJupos. This is only 1 run and it took forever to process with my computer. I'll try combining with a couple other avi runs to see if the image improves.

Regards,
Steve

Attached Files

#2 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Great image Steve! Catching a break in the weather is a problem for the whole country it seems. You took advantage very nicely and produced a fine image for 3/5 seeing. Well done!

Glenn

#3 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Wow, that's a fine image Steve, loads of detail in there!
Noew just waiting for the seeing to behave, good job!!

#4 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Very nice!
Looks like you and I had captures nearly at the same time there!

I really need to back off on some of the sharpening on my images. I know some of the difference has to do with the difference in aperture, but your could structure looks a lot more swirly than what I am getting.

#5 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

Glenn, Mert, Z, thanks! For this session, I had trouble focusing in R so I focused each avi run with G first, then used my focus offsets from there. Green was much easier to focus on with its deeper contrast vs red. For sharpening, I used Reg6 but Gaussion on layer 1. I also did the final image stretch and color balance in Reg6 which is nice since it can plot the histogram in log format. The key was getting the frame rate back to 80 for R,G. I wish I knew about that months ago...

Regards,
Steve

Attached Files

#6 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Nice! Catching a weather break is even better!

#7 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Paul, thanks! Next time I need to remember to keep my scope covered as I opened the dome last night to a small dump of snow falling in. The 3 moons were nicely placed to the right of the globe after 10pm but my hard drive became full and my hands were frozen so I quit early.

Regards,
Steve

#8 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Wife and I were talking last night about how we should move to Arizona, set up a pier and dome so I wouldn't have to waste time setting up. (Wouldnt have to worry about the snow in Az either :) ).

By the time I get everything set up, cooled down and ready to image, my hands are usually blocks of ice. At least I have a new crayford focuser so I can control focusing a little better with my blocks of ice!

Before I went out last night I saw the nice lineup possibility of the moons. I got a few captures with the moons all in a line last night, but unfortunately the .avis weighed in at like 11GB, and the index is broke and I have Vdub fixing them. Says it is gonna take it like 30m each to fix em :(.

#9 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

The downside is that you will curse the cool down time for the scope after some of our 110 degree days....especially if you want to image right after sunset. :)

Wife and I were talking last night about how we should move to Arizona, set up a pier and dome so I wouldn't have to waste time setting up. (Wouldnt have to worry about the snow in Az either :) ).

By the time I get everything set up, cooled down and ready to image, my hands are usually blocks of ice. At least I have a new crayford focuser so I can control focusing a little better with my blocks of ice!

Before I went out last night I saw the nice lineup possibility of the moons. I got a few captures with the moons all in a line last night, but unfortunately the .avis weighed in at like 11GB, and the index is broke and I have Vdub fixing them. Says it is gonna take it like 30m each to fix em :(.

#10 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Next time I need to remember to keep my scope covered as I opened the dome last night to a small dump of snow falling in. The 3 moons were nicely placed to the right of the globe after 10pm but my hard drive became full and my hands were frozen so I quit early.

Those are very nice images, Steve. Sounds like here in the east we all had good seeing and technical difficulties. I grabbed about 4 hours worth, but started with an outdated version of FC that crashed midway during the first set. Then I updated and captured the rest, only to discover this AM that I recorded in AVI, which WinJupos doesn't like. Now I have to wait who knows how many hours while PIPP converts them to SERs, then another ~18 hours while WinJupos derotates them. I need a supercomputer! :)

Kevin

#11 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Z, With Jupiter peaking at 9pm, we are quickly running out of time to image it. My old scope, even sitting outside likes 2hrs of direct fan cooling to stabilize things, although it may be more observatory cooling than scope cooling.

Paul, At least the 110 is a dry heat...

Kevin, Thanks! I usually clear my hard drive before imaging but last night was the exception as the frame rate dropped off sharply as the disk space alert flashed in the corner. I was happy to get avi mode back to 80fps and did not try SER which previously cut the frame rate. It's crazy how much computing power we need for this data processing. I am planning to process +/-1 avi run from this one and combine in WinJupos. That should only take 6hrs. I'll just have to ask my boss for a faster computer...

Regards,
Steve

#12 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

1 last re-do with this data, this time combining 3 consecutive RGB avi runs, 12min data (17,910 frames!) in WinJupos. Overall quality improved slightly, but still limited by the average seeing.

Regards,
Steve

Attached Files

#13 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Wow! Steve it looks like what we call average sure has changed these past couple of years. Image looks great!

Glenn

#14 claytonbigwood

claytonbigwood

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

That's a nice image Steve :waytogo:

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Very nice images Steve - that WinJupos one is expecially nice imho....! :applause: :applause:

#16 Petrus351

Petrus351

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Wonderful picture, full of detail and color is perfect.

#17 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

Glenn, Clayton, Mo, Pedro, Thanks for the compliments! This was the 1st time, I combined 3 complete avi run sequences in WinJupos. The program is amazing and how it de-rotates the data boggles my mind. It's nice to have >50,000 frames to work with and not have to worry about smearing. I did adjust the LD for channel combines lowering to 0.95 which reduced the bright arc at the left edge. After checking the data, I am convinced that my G-R offset of -20 focus count adjustment is not optimal since all 3 R avis were soft vs G or B. Now I need to write down the process scheme to so I don't have to re-invent it next year...

Regards,
Steve

#18 Az Frank

Az Frank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I would take that average seeing anytime Steve!One well done image in every respect!

#19 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Wow, excellent is the new average! Great job, Steve. I think the WinJupos image wins hands down.

Kevin

#20 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

That is some really nice work Steve :grin: And my hat is off to you for tackling WinJupos, I still haven't gotten my act together there...

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#21 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

Lovely images Steve!

#22 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Frank, Kevin, Brian, Stuart, Thanks! I have found that one of the keys is getting WinJupos avi times accurate. So I now start with an excel spreadsheet on the starting avi times of each color and run and add in 1/2 the capture time converting to UT and tenths as the reference. The other thing is to select alignment points on features only and not near the globe edges in AS2!, 80sec avi (2px smear) times are not too long which goes against the normal convention.

Regards,
Steve

#23 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hey Steve those photos are very well done. Nicely balanced in sharpness, brightness, color and contrast! TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!!

Mike

#24 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Steve, how many align points are you using in AS2? I use 65 pixel boxes, which with a Jupiter ~400 pixels across gives around 80 APs. I haven't experimented much to see if other combinations work better.

Kevin

#25 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Mike, thanks for the compliments! A few things I have learned last time out worth noting, to maximize the Flea frame rate:

1) Turn on FlyCap2 first and toggle the modes until the fps =120, then turn auto off, hit apply and recheck.
2) Open FC, toggle between 8bit and 16bit, back to 8bit to avoid potential diagonal lines.
3) Turn on Epherms to determine the desired image size, but turn OFF before capturing since this seems to affect the max fps for some reason.

Kevin, I used 20 120px alignment points picked automatically, then edge points unclicked, and the remaining manually selected avoiding edges and spreading evenly across the globe. This was recommended by Glenn and gives a nice overlap. I am not sure 20 is the ideal number but again it was Glenn's quantity. In theory, you should be able to pick the very top & bottom of the globe but I did not. If the AP size gets too smmall, I've noticed strange artifacts.

Regards,
Steve

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics