•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tiles tear off please help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rockâ„¢

Rockâ„¢

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Hi 2 hours ago i was grinding my 8" F6 mirror, process was going fine then suddenly my son show me that 4 tiles are wearing off and red color brick like material is coming out behind the smooth face of tiles. It looks to me that smooth face of tiles is wearing n tearing off.
This is very looking like bricks. I am using ceramics tiles.

Coach me friend, what should i do now and my camera is also damaged otherwise i shows u all the image.

#2 planet earth

planet earth

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

I believe you are using the wrong type of tiles.
Porcelain tiles are ther ones that you want or unglazed ceramic.
Willman Bell sells a sq ft for $9.00
Sam

#3 dave brock

dave brock

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I don't think you need to worry if the surface is just grinding off, that's normal. I've used tiles like that many times without problems.

Dave

#4 planet earth

planet earth

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I don't think you need to worry if the surface is just grinding off, that's normal. I've used tiles like that many times without problems.
Dave

I found that some cheaper glazed tiles use a soft ceramic, but yes if you wear off the glaze and ceramic is good quality they are fine.I like the Willman Bell unglazed tiles at $9.00 a sq ft.

Sam

#5 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors
  • Loc: salem, OR

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

You have glazed clay tiles and once the glazing wears off they don't really work, sadly, as the brick-like stuff isn't hard enough. :( You want ceramic tiles which are essentially glazed all the way through.

Best,
Mark

#6 dave brock

dave brock

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hi Sam and Mark.
Rock says he is using ceramic tiles so I've taken him at his word. The ones I use have a glazing on the surface which wears off but under that is still very hard and I've had no problem with chipping, scratching etc.

Dave

#7 mark cowan

mark cowan

Vendor (Veritas Optics)

• Vendors
  • Loc: salem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I only said he has glazed tiles because I tried some many years ago and had exactly that experience - once the glaze wore through they were useless.

Best,
Mark

#8 MKV

MKV

Skylab

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Rock, try using glass tiles like these. It's best to use clear ones. They also come preattached so they handle like one a sheet, and can be cut to size and epoxied at once. You can buy then in home improvement stores.

Or, as someone already mentioned, buy Willmann-Bell's solid ceramic hex tile. They are very affordable.

Mladen

#9 Rockâ„¢

Rockâ„¢

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Thanks will try this one out

#10 Pinbout

Pinbout

Voyager 1

• Loc: uhmm...still in 2nd grade

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

but pennies are the cheapest and work really well, and I get less severe zones with them, but I'm spin grinding...

Posted Image

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics