NGC1499 - The California Nebula - H-alpha

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

My first H-alpha DSLR image. Managed to get 10m subs through my WO66. It was a warm 26F, and when I woke up this morning everything was covered in frost.

Processing this was tough. I wsn't quite sure how to do it. I ended up stacking in DSS in Superpixel mode which down scales the image. Then I took it into photoshop and copied out only the red channel. Then I processed it as greyscale. Seems easy, but greyscale reverses all of the curves tools, so I was struggling.

NGC1499 - The California Nebula
Scranton, PA - Redzone
28 X 10m lights, 15 darks, 25 flats, 25 bias
Canon XS, 12nm H-alpha filter, WO66 w/.8x reducer
Mach 1, Guided through Edge HD800

Posted Image
Larger Image

A new version with new processing and orientation.
Posted Image
New Version

#2 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Convert it to RGB and delete the G and B channels. Much easier to work on.

Edit: I'm not much of a fan of DSLR Ha images but yours looks pretty good Adam.

#3 srosenfraz

srosenfraz

Skylab

• Loc: United States

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

You have some excellent details with this image, Adam. You also did a great job pulling out some of the faint outer areas.

I know what you mean about working with the backwards greyscale curves. Its rather confusing when you're accustomed to editing RGB curves. One thing I've done when processing Ha is to copy the Red channel to the Green and Blue channels. This will give you an RGB grey image, but it'll also have the same luminance values as the original Red channel.

#4 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

One thing I've done when processing Ha is to copy the Red channel to the Green and Blue channels. This will give you an RGB grey image, but it'll also have the same luminance values as the original Red channel.

Thanks. I hadn't considered doing that.

#5 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

You have some excellent details with this image, Adam. You also did a great job pulling out some of the faint outer areas.

I know what you mean about working with the backwards greyscale curves. Its rather confusing when you're accustomed to editing RGB curves. One thing I've done when processing Ha is to copy the Red channel to the Green and Blue channels. This will give you an RGB grey image, but it'll also have the same luminance values as the original Red channel.

Interesting Scott. How different is the result from just deleting the B and G?

#6 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I wasn't able to delete the G & B. I was able to convert the Red channel to greyscale. Then change that greyscale to RGB. From what I noticed, the data didn't change; but the curves tool stayed the same so I didn't have to change my technique.

Otherwise in greyscale, curves is reversed.

#7 srosenfraz

srosenfraz

Skylab

• Loc: United States

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Its pretty subtle. What I find is that copying red to the other channels seems to start it out with a higher contrast version than deleting the channels and extracting it. With additional curves, you could almost certainly end up with the same final results with either method.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics