• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

For southern observers the next 10 days or so the conditions are favorable for observing the comet before the moon sets in.

Current magnitude estimate is around mag9.

Clear Skies!

Attached Files

#2 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Here's an image of F6 Lemmon taken on 12/23/12 with the Slooh T2wf camera.

Rich (RLTYS)

Attached Files

#3 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Hello Rich,

Thanks for the pic, that gives some idea of its size and brightness in the starfield.That was the night I missed observing it, and hvnt gone back to observe it after that because of the moon in the sky.

The next few days will be favourable for us at 20N lat, but its moving rapidly south so will try to observe it tonight when its culminating at about 25 Degree altitude before dawn. Hope to see it and will seehow it compares in brightness with the nearby galaxies.

Clear Skies!

#4 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Finally observed it last night through a xt10, could detect it even in the 50mm finderscope. Was low at about 20degree altitude. Appeared as round shaped, almost evenly spread brightness, couldnt detect any tail. We compared it to the NGC 5128 nearby, and the comet seemed to be brighter than the 7mag galaxy, though the comet is reportedly about 8.5 now. (I dont really know how to estimate an comets brightness) Probally I wont be observing it again now.

Clear Skies!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics