Video Camera Filters?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PilotStar

PilotStar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Are there any SPECIAL imaging filters that can be used with my video camera to enhance performance by reducing light pollution? I'm NOT referring to standard broadband, narrowband, OIII, HBeta, etc. filters. Would Orion's Skyglow Imaging Filter work with my video camera, or is it just for CCD cameras? Input from users of any filters designed for video cameras especially welcome!

Thanks,

PilotStar

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Any of the imaging or visual use filters work with video cameras too. The imaging versions tend to be preferred as they usually have capabilities that extend beyond visual range (deeper into the infrared or ultra violet regions). Most video cameras are essentially continuously read CCD cameras.

I find the DeepSky and visual light pollution filters work well in light light pollution. In moderate light pollution the Deepsky and the imaging light pollution filters (Orion Skyglow imaging, Hutech IDAS LP series, Astronomik CLS-CCD) are a good choice. In heavier light pollution the Astronomik UHC is quite effective with a video camera. Then there are the narrower band specialty filters (OIII, Ha, Hb) which also work very well under heavy light pollution.

#3 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

What Mark said!!!

The Orion Photographic SkyGlow filter has worked well with with my IIE and Sammy 425 cam. The Ha filter is awesome for emission nebs, SN remnants and any other hot Ha regions.

#4 Craig in Tacoma

Craig in Tacoma

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Unfortunately, we don't know what video camera you're talking about. We need details...Let me explain...

With filters, you'll need to be able to increase the cameras exposure, or the amount of light getting to the cameras chip to compensate for filtering.

With a full on IDAS LP2 filter, Orion Sky Glow filter, or a UHC filter attached to something like a Samsung SCB2000 or 4000, you've basically added a lens cover.

It's 8.5 second exposure is far less than needed to compensate for the reduction in light on most objects other than the moon (and you won't need an LP filter for the moon).

With a Mallincam (like the MC Extreme) you have nothing to worry about, only now you'll need to have a great mount that can track a bugs butt for the longer exposures

Hope that helps you...

Craig

#5 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have a motorized filterwheel and almost always use various filters with every target. IR work great on Globulars, while then UHC or Oiii are good for nebula like the veil, general light pollution or broadband are useful on galaxies and Ha or Hb can bring out great detail in some planetary or nebula. So it really depends. I recommend using a filter wheel, makes it easy to swap and try them all out.

Al

#6 PilotStar

PilotStar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Sorry, should have stated camera model--I have a Samsung 435 camera with the stock IR filter removed.

PilotStar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics