54 replies to this topic

#1 frebie

frebie

Chief assistant to the assistant chief

• -----
  • Administrators
  • Loc: Neither here nor there.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Celestron has introduced a plethora of new products at the CES show going on now in Las Vegas.

Products include an Advanced VX series of go-to scopes that will replace the current Advanced Series line. They use a completely reengineered version of the Advanced Series 30 pound payload capacity mount. It has permanent PEC, a wider latitude range, tracking past the meridian for imagers, improved electronics with All-Star polar alignment, a built-in autoguider port, new motors for better astrophotography tracking, and more. Scopes will include and 8” EdgeHD version, in addition to all of the current 6” to 11” models currently available. Prices run about $100 more than the Advanced Series.

Speaking of the EdgeHD, a focal reducer for the 8” will be available this spring at a cost of about $299.

A StarSense adapter will be available in the spring at a cost of about $329 that will make no-hands SkyProdigy three-minute automatic sky alignment technology available for most Celestron go-to scopes.

There’s a new off-axis guider body available for all SCTs, as well as imaging refractors and other scopes, for about $249.

We’ll have complete information on these and all the other products up on our website over the next week or so. We’ll be announcing those additions to our website here as they go online, so check back occasionally to keep up with the new products as they go on-line for ordering and pre-ordering.

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

"no hands", as in, plunk down the mount, switch the power on, and sit back till the goto is aligned?

#3 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Glad to see that Celestron is not sitting on its hands, but continuing to innovate.

#4 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

It is going to be plunk it down, turn it on, and watch it work.

#5 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Doesn't Meade have something similar with its lightswitch scopes?

#6 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

So this is the redesign of the venerable CG-5 mount. Does it appear it will have the same capacity?

#7 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Way to go Celestron! Can't wait to read more about these new products and certainly see them!

John

#8 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

"A StarSense adapter will be available in the spring at a cost of about $329 that will make no-hands SkyProdigy three-minute automatic sky alignment technology available for most Celestron go-to scopes."

Will this be a retrofit for a present production mount, or just new mounts going forward?

#9 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

I've had a beta test version of the AVX mount since late November. I think it's a nice mount. It will have at least the capacity of the AS-GT.
It has a RTC, the power connector has a screw on fitting. it guides beautifully.

I have not heard of the Star Sense device but my guess is that it will require a NexStar+ HC and an Aux port on the mount. The challenge with existing mounts will be fitting it, I guess it could fit in place of the finder.

Chris

#10 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Any pictures available?

#11 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

The FR news is great!

The new mount sounds interesting as well. AP'ers need some more good entry level options.

#12 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Shortly we will have information on the site.

#13 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Will this be a retrofit for a present production mount, or just new mounts going forward?

The StarSense will work with most existing Celestron computerized telescopes, not just new mounts. According to Celestron the compatible go-to products include the NexStar SE series, CPC and CPC DX, NexStar GPS, current CG-5 Advanced Series, Advanced VX series, CGEM and CGEM DX, CGE and CGE Pro, NexStar SLT (with Aux port splitter), and LCM (with Aux port splitter).

Non-compatible are the NexStar i series, Ultima 2000, and older generation (Compustar) scopes.

#14 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Doesn't Meade have something similar with its lightswitch scopes?

The Celestron StarSense is an inexpensive add-on to automate many existing Celestron computerized scopes, not a complete new scope, as is the LightSwitch.

#15 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

So this is the redesign of the venerable CG-5 mount. Does it appear it will have the same capacity?

The payload capacity of the Advanced VX mount remains the same as the CG-5, at 30 lbs. The VX adds PPEC, an autoguider port, new motors for better tracking, more advanced electronics to support future expansions (such as the StarSense add-on), meridian sweep without motor interference with the mount, NexStar+ hand control with nine supported languages, All-Star polar alignment, oversize easy-grop knobs, etc.

#16 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I've had a beta test version of the AVX mount since late November. I think it's a nice mount. It will have at least the capacity of the AS-GT.
It has a RTC, the power connector has a screw on fitting. it guides beautifully.

I have not heard of the Star Sense device but my guess is that it will require a NexStar+ HC and an Aux port on the mount. The challenge with existing mounts will be fitting it, I guess it could fit in place of the finder.

Chris

The StarSense has a bracket to mount in place of the finder on most non-SCT optical tubes and in the second set of finder holes at the one o'clock position on the rear cell of most Celestron SCT optical tubes.

#17 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Is the SkySense able to autoguide? If so, this is quite an announcement. I'd really like to see this sort of thing pan out.

-Rich

#18 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Any pictures available?

They will be shortly. The products were just shown yesterday at the CES for the first time. It will probably be a week or so before images are available.

#19 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Is the SkySense able to autoguide? If so, this is quite an announcement. I'd really like to see this sort of thing pan out.

-Rich

It is not an autoguider. It is simply designed to make alignment on the sky a no-hands three-minute automatic procedure.

#20 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I wonder if the motors on the new mount are quieter and/or faster than what is on the ASGT mount...

#21 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: You can't see me...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

their booth.

Attached Files

#22 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I wonder if the motors on the new mount are quieter and/or faster than what is on the ASGT mount...

Can't speak to the quiet part as they haven't started shipping. Max slew speed is 4°/sec, up from the 3°/sec of the CG-5.

#23 mightynate

mightynate

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: WA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Is that mean I do not need to do Polar Alignment?

#24 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

We would assume that you would still have to do a polar alignment with a German equatorial mount if you wanted the mount to find and/or track anything. Altazimuth mounts (ike the CPC, CPC DX, NexStar SE, NexStar SLT, LCM, etc.) do not require polar alignment.

Attached is a pic of the StarSense.

Attached Files

#25 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hmmm. This would seem to be getting into quite a bit of stuff plugged in if you want to guide and do starsense on a scope you're going to do AP on, then. Do you have any way of checking?

Is it possible to get a picture of the VX mount by itself with better lighting?

Quite a bit of new info.

-Rich

-Rich

It is not an autoguider. It is simply designed to make alignment on the sky a no-hands three-minute automatic procedure.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics