New Celestron Products announced at CES

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 aberrs

aberrs

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

((I am still curious what the USB port is for...))

#52 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

You can call me "Lazy" then ...

#53 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Celestron now has a FAQ page on the StarSense Accessory here: web page

#54 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

After reading the FAQ, I have a feeling the USB port on StarSense is for upgrading the firmware, just like NexStar hand controller.

I am curious. If the Star Sense camera is not well sync with the main scope, then how accurate will the GoTo be for the main scope? Maybe another purpose for USB port is for syncing the Star Sense camera with the main scope. Star Sense may come with a PC software to allow you to view the Star Sense camera on the computer monitor and center both Star Sense camera and the main scope. You may have to do this only once.

Peter

#55 C8er

C8er

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

With regard to the use for the second port on the starsense accessory, Baader's website has a news pdf that says this below about the starsense accessory's extra port.

"More features
But that´s not all of the advantage. The Star-Sense camera has two ports – one to connect to the scope, the other one is an USB port that can be connected to the computer for software updates – and to use the photos of the camera for other purposes, like autoguiding or for wide angle astrophotography.

Celestron is currently working on several software
adaptations to further increase the functionality of the
amazing StarSense module."

Celestron's website (their blog about the starsense accessory) says the starsense accessory cannot "currently" be used for autoguiding because its camera is only 20mm and f2. They do have a cryptic comment though saying they acknowledge feedback on that, and they use the words "not currently" able to be used to autoguide.

Also this from the baader news pdf on the starsense accessory

"T-Point functionality.
Another advantage is the possibility to extremely increase the positioning accuracy by a „TPoint“ like mapping function. You can „map“ as many stars as you want - means, you point the telescope to a star, center it exactly and save the position with pressing ENTER. That´s it – and
after mapping 10 stars this way, the pointing accuracy is equal to that of a highly professional mount!"

Is that possibly a replacment for what used to be calibration stars on the older HCs, when the accessory and its new HC are used on an EQ mount, or is it something different?

Also this from the baader pdf about using the accessory on EQ mounts.

"Equatorial mounts with Star Sense
„Star Sense“ can also be attached onto equatorial
mounts. At first the user has to do a short
polar alignment with the revolutionary Celestron
„All Star Alignment“. It is only necessary to
drive to one single star and center it with the
ALT and AZ axis. It does not matter wich star
it is, Polaris must not be
visible.

After performing this rudimentary „All Star Alignment“, the „StarSense“ electronic takes over
and takes 3 photos of the sky to find orientation. No
input of the user is necessary, no coordinates, no
time, no alignment stars. 3 minutes later you
can use the telescope!"

I don't know whether those things from baader are correct or not, but that is what they are saying about this beast.

Cheers.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics