• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 atkinsonr

atkinsonr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hello all,

New to astronomy, have an 8" GSO dob and want to upgrade from the bundled 9mm GSO super plossl eyepiece to something much better for planet observing.

I think I've narrowed my shortlist to the Explore Scientific 82 degree 8.8mm and the TMB Planetary II 9mm. However I have not been able to find a comparison of these two eyepieces in my googling.

Can anyone with first hand experience of these eyepieces offer any points of comparison?

many thanks

#2 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

While I haven't gone toe to toe with them, I did own them both and prefer the ES over the TMBPII a lot. Much crisper Image.

#3 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

THe ES 82 line is very impressive. These are high end eyepieces being sold at low end prices. Not great for people who have to wear glasses when viewing but otherwise you would have a hard time beating the performance of these at twice the price. You get a wider field, sharper views, and better light throughput as compared with the TMB line.

I have all the TMBs and several of the Es 82s and I rarely use the TMBs except for terrestrial viewing in my smallest refractor, they really do excellent as daytime eyepieces. I use my ES 4.7mm right along side my 6mm Delos and 3.5mm Pentax XW for planetary viewing and have no complaints other than the short eye relief.

#4 gks

gks

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. California

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

I own the Meade UWA 8.8mm/82° (very similar to the ES 8.8mm/82° - see comparisons here on CN from BillP) and the TMB 9mm.
The Meade (and I would presume the ES) are superior to the TMB in all aspects including FOV and sharpness. The Meade 8.8mm gets used in every outing, the TMB hasn't seen the skies in over 2 years. There is a a price differential but I would recommend the ES over the TMB.

#5 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Go with the ES!!!

#6 atkinsonr

atkinsonr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Awesome. Thanks everyone, the ES82 it is ... now if only I could find somewhere with it in stock!

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

Awesome. Thanks everyone, the ES82 it is ... now if only I could find somewhere with it in stock!

My own experience is somewhat different than the others. I have a 9mm TMB Planetary that was darkened by Mike Hosea, a 9mm Synta UWA and a 9mm Type 6 Nagler.

The 9mm Nagler type 6 is generally considered the best 9mm UWA available and there is no doubt that it is superior to the other two and by reports I read that it is superior the ES 9mm. But the differences are small, most everything I see in the 9mm Nagler, even in a fast scope, will be visible in the TMB. The Nagler is significantly sharper across the field of view in a fast telescope, it seems to provide slightly more contrast and is slightly sharper on-axis and of course, a wider field of view.

For me, I use the 9mm TMB at least as often as the 9mm Nagler and in any event, it's a decent eyepiece. The 9mm TMB represents a significant upgrade to the Plossl, offering considerably more eye relief as well as a wider field of view.

In the final analysis, the ES 9mm at $100 is a good deal and the way I would go if I didn't have a 9mm Type 6 Nagler but in my view, all these eyepieces are good eyepieces and will show you just about everything the scope can show you.

Jon Isaacs

#8 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I agree with your assessment, I have a number of the TMB planetary eyepieces, and all but the 30mm ES 82 degree eyepieces. I like the 8.8mm 82 degree eyepiece better than the 9mm Burgess/TMB Planetary eyepiece, but it's by no means a bad eyepiece either. It does very well in my 6-inch F/8, and still can handle my F/4.5 Dobs too. I have used them to view Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, mainly the reason why I prefer the ES eyepieces are the huge apparent field of view that makes tracking at high power easier, and they are sharper, at least across most of the field of view. The distortion near the edge is not a problem because I mainly use them on DSO's and when I do look a planets with them, I keep them in the center of the field of view. With my 4mm TMB Planetary-II eyepiece, I once got a great view of Mars at 500X with my 15-inch Dob when it was about 9 arc-seconds across. But it is a lot harder to track the planet through that one than through a 4.7mm ES 82 degree eyepiece, with sharper images too.

Taras

#9 atkinsonr

atkinsonr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hi Taras and Jon,

Thanks for the follow up comments, they are appreciated. I've actually read a few posts on other forums from people who swear by the TMB Planetary II 9mm, but alas I've already put an ES82 8.8 on backorder at Astronomics.
Hopefully I won't have to wait too long, and from what I'm hearing I would have been happy with either EP.

rich

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hi Taras and Jon,

Thanks for the follow up comments, they are appreciated. I've actually read a few posts on other forums from people who swear by the TMB Planetary II 9mm, but alas I've already put an ES82 8.8 on backorder at Astronomics.
Hopefully I won't have to wait too long, and from what I'm hearing I would have been happy with either EP.

rich

Rich:

As I said in my first post, in your situation, I would definitely buy the ES 8.8mm, it is a better eyepiece, offers a wider, better corrected field of view, it's a lot of eyepiece for the money. A top quality set of eyepieces is something for a lifetime, starting out with very good eyepieces means you will be set for a longtime in the future.

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics