Photo

Wife found a telescope at our local Good Will.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

I received a phone call from wife yesterday while she was doing her weekly dose of bargain shopping ( I hate shopping, its an addition for her ). She tells me she found a little telescope at Good will. I didn't get excited because I was expecting it to be one of those cheap department store telescopes. I ask her a few questions and she tells me its a 60mm and 700mm. I try to explain principles of the objective lens and focal length. She didn't know what I was talking about, sounds all greek to her. I tell her to forget about it, I asked one more question, "who made it"? She said Orion. I went "wow, really?" She said it was discounted down to $22.50, only things are missing are the two included eyepieces. I tell her to buy it. That's a bargain. I have plenty of eyepieces and Orion makes small scopes for 1.25" eyepieces.

She brings it home and I put it all together. Its almost in new condition other than the right angle diagonal has deep scratches where the locking screw of the rack and pinion focuser taps down onto. Other than that, its appears to be alright. The mount is very light weight and the whole thing is very easy to move together. Seems to be stable enough against light wind.

This going to be my new grab and go for quick planetary and bright DSOs. I have not been able to star test it yet, cloudy nights forever here in central Illinois. I don't expect it to put up images like my 8 inch reflector but it will be better than those cheap .965 Tasco department store rip offs. I do have the 80mm table top refractor to compare to. Which is great grab and go for DSO and wide field, sucks on planets, too much chromatic aberration at higher magnifications. I am itching for some clear skies.

Anyways, if you are a beginner looking to get into the hobby and on a very limited budget, I guess its good idea to check out the local good wills and salvation army stores. You may be surprised what might end up there.

#2 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nice find! And thoughtful wife! :flower:

-- Chris

#3 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

What if it had been a tasco? The quality could have been as good. Simply because its branded as orion is no reason to go "wow" about. Orion dosnt manufacture inhouse and the products it sells are sourced from various manufacturers in china and often sell the products at much higher prices than others.

Clear Skies!

#4 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

wow very cool find. Beats the accessory case I found...lol
I had seen a scope at a good will in mid summer, don't know what brand. It was 5" reflector. When I went back a week later it had sold the day before for $10...argh

#5 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

oh man, unless it cost 600 you wasted your money. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: or was that 6000. :shrug: I've had my eye on a late 1960's or early 70's sears model refractor. They'll laugh about that also.

#6 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Looks like your wife wants you to stay up a bit more. :p. No really, very thoughtful of her and at that price, definitely a bargain. :like:

#7 old honda

old honda

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, Ok., USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

!! Also try pawn shopps - maybe you can rescue an all glass doublet with all the original parts plus documentation. I Did That !! :)

#8 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Half my scopes came from Goodwill including a Orion Starblast and Meade DS90 and DS102 and DS114 with Audiostar and Ds2130 in the $50 range ,and,and a bunch of others for %5 to $10.

#9 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Awesome story! And yeah, very thoughtful wife. Hope the scope rocks.

#10 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

What if it had been a tasco? The quality could have been as good. Simply because its branded as orion is no reason to go "wow" about. Orion dosnt manufacture inhouse and the products it sells are sourced from various manufacturers in china and often sell the products at much higher prices than others.

Clear Skies!

Say what you will about Orion but for the most part they unlike many other brands out today at least make sure they put out usable decent products even in their low end stuff. the same cannot be said for celestron and tasco to name a few.

to date i've only ended up owning orion's simply because there is so many out there in my area probably due to them being a local company at least in part. i have not owned a GSO made scope before but did use a meade lightbridge for the past month (club scope) and besides the focuser i found it sub par to any of the orion's i've owned in build quality elsewhere and i've now gone through the gamut of dob's from orion. first an XT6, it didnt last long and was the most i paid for a scope, a used XT8 came up on craigslist for 200 so i jumped on it and sold off the 6 for 160 on CL. good 40 dollar upgrade. more recently in the past few weeks a good friend snagged an old XT10 Deluxe in near new condition from orion direct locally for less than 200. he runs our loaner program and likes the XT8's for loaning out to new people to astronomy so i did a trade my 8 for the 10 plus a bit extra (work on his Z10's bearing system mainly) so yet another cheap upgrade.

every single orion dob i've owned has had good optics and functioned perfectly. with minor mods needed to any commercial dob, mainly the bearing surfaces they are great scopes. the GSO made 12" Lightbridge while not a bad scope was flawed in its own design by the mirror cell. this is a very important part of a large Newtonian. i fixed much of its problems by replacing the collimation springs with longer stiffer ones from the hardware store but i was not about to go and replace its original mirror cell that was also a problem because the triangle pads the mirror sat on were too flimsy to support the weight of the mirror. the result is it still does not hold perfect collimation when used, best one can do is collimate it at a 45-55 degree angle so its likely well in collimation with most targets but not all. the bearing surfaces are another story. az was way too smooth due to ball bearings, it would spin like a top if you wished to do so with it and the Alt was the complete opposite and just completely sucked because you had to crank down a friction brake to keep it balanced with any decent eyepieces along with a 8x50 finder scope. my XT10 Deluxe that had a 2" rack an pinion focuser at least had a better stock bearing system and mirror cell, those are important things on a scope. focusers are easily changed out. mirror cells not so much..

#11 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

:waytogo:

Ed D

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

Say what you will about Orion but for the most part they unlike many other brands out today at least make sure they put out usable decent products even in their low end stuff. the same cannot be said for celestron and tasco to name a few.

It is true that Orion is careful not to sell telescopes with 0.965 inch focusers and Hugyens eyepieces, I think they do a good job of making sure their inexpensive telescopes have at least Kellner eyepieces and a 1.25 inch focusers where as Celestron and Tasco do not.

Beyond that, one has to take it on a case by case basis. For example, the Celestron CG-5 ASGT is certainly a better mount than the Orion SkyView Pro GOTO and yet the Celestron costs about $60 less. I have owned both Orion and GSO Dobs, I prefer the GSOs... I have owned a 10 inch GSO for 10 years... it's a keeper.

But this all really off topic. The Orion GOscope for $22.50 is a real bargain and should provide some wonderful fun. Starhunter249 should give his wife a big hug and take her out to dinner.

:goodjob:

Jon

#13 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

The night of the bargains.

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

The night of the bargains.

I have gotten a few bargains but never a scope at a thrift store.

Jon

#15 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I've so far found two stools, one metal with plastic seat that stays outside, and one fold up bar stool with padded seat. Now I have a case for all my ep's. Will keep an eye out for a cheap scope to have just for quick views or if the missus wants to view too.

#16 Al8236

Al8236

Apollo

• Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

My last two trips to Goodwill have resulted in a Jason 319 for $6.95 that I think removing the Barlow from the drawtube will make a cute little finder/guidescope.
And my last trip I found a Tasco red tube 44-T for $9.95 that was just to cute to leave behind, This might go to one of the neighbor's boys because he wants a scope that he can watch the deer out in the field with.

#17 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

someone's been trying to sell this small refractor kind of locally for a long time but i dont think im qualified to determine if its a good deal. the tripod looks nice and it looks all metal.

http://westernmass.c...3485261554.html

#18 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Looks like the mount on my Aerolite 859. Not worth $100, but depending what parts are missing, maybe $35.

#19 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central NY

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm going down to the Salvation Army store in the morning. Now. LOL. Good luck with the new toy.

#20 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Matt I see a lot of small refractors on CL in my area. Was thinking of just snatching up a cheap one for $30 or so just to have around.

#21 Turf1

Turf1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Michigan USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Kudos to your wife, I hate shopping as well. She did good! :)

#22 Turf1

Turf1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Michigan USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Kudos to your wife, I hate shopping. She did good!:)

#23 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I received a phone call from wife yesterday while she was doing her weekly dose of bargain shopping ( I hate shopping, its an addition for her ).

I understand brother! :grin: But, congratulations on her finding you a nice telescope at a great price. My wife also lives to shop. However, she rarely spends any money--unless the item is truly marked down. I am very happy that she never makes me go shopping with her. :jump:

#24 Shano592

Shano592

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

What a very considerate woman!

My wife would have told AFTER coming home, and as an afterthought.

#25 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, I shared your comments with my wife and she blushed a little. She knows too well that I am an astronomy addict and wanted to make me happy. She did that for $22.50.

The weather is better tonight but still very poor. I have a good layer of haze in the sky and clouds will soon completely obscure the sky. I briefly looked at Jupiter, quick hop over to the Pleiades, and then to the eastern horizon in Orion where lies M42. Despite the haze, Jupiter was fairly sharp. I could easily see 2 bands and three moons. Io is in Jupiter's backside at the moment. I took the scope from 35x to 100x. Things seem to be difficult at 100x due to the haze but I could see a third band on jupiter. If the weather was clear, I think jupiter would stand out much better with more detail in this little scope. Jupiter is pleasantly viewable in the 60mm F11 scope where the 80mm F4.4 Goscope, jupiter is a wash of chromatic aberration. The Pleiades nearly can be completely capture at 35x. I could not see any of the other dimmer stars in that cluster. I suspect its more haze than the limitations of the small aperture. The same can be said of the Orion Nebula as well. I could barely detect the trapzium and the nebula was invisible. Victim to haze. I need a clear night to do a decent DSO comparison. More aperture I suspect will win at the wide field views in the 80mm Go Scope. The eyepieces I used are the ones that come with 80mm goscope, the 10 and 20mm kellners. I used a 7mm TMB planetary to achieve 100x. I have another week of *BLEEP* weather to look forward too according to NOAA. Clear Skies, mine aren't.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics