13 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Baer

Tom Baer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hi all,

I recently got a Starblast 4.5, and I would like to try some astrophotography with it, using my Canon EOS DSLR. Has anyone here tried a similar combination, and does anyone have a reccomendation for an affordable camera adapter and t-ring (assuming that's what I need).

Thanks,

-Tom

#2 snowcrow

snowcrow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think you'll need a camera with a smaller CCD chip size for that scope, and without a motor drive, you'll be limited to exposures of 30 sec. or less.

Orion does have a eyepiece video camera on sale for about the cost of the adapter & T-ring.

http://www.telescope...s/Orion-Star...

People have used just the a camera on a tripode to take awesome shots of the night sky (f/3 or less lens).

#3 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

The Orion G3 camera may be a good match. You could talk to them and see

#4 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

+1 on the G3. The StarBlast doesn't have a lot of back-focus and I doubt that the Canon could reach the prime focus. The focuser is also pretty basic and probably won't support the weight of the camera. The G3 doesn't need as much back-focus and is a much lighter camera. I imaged with both the visua and imaging versions of the StarBlast for several years using the original Meade DSI and DSI Pro and it can work quite will with a small lightweight CCD camera.

#5 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I would have to agree with the other posts. The G3 is a better fit.

I use a DSLR with my XT8 but I had to move the primary mirror up in the tube to acheive prime focus. The XT8 is also a much larger scope and the focuser can handle the camera. You can still do afocal and eyepiece projection without moving the mirror or replacing the focuser but at some point you will yearn for prime focus. The reason I chose the DSLR is that I also use it stand alone for taking wide angle shots of the sky and can use it for day time shots. I might get it modified for AP one day but that will make it more difficult to use for daytime photography.

#6 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi all,

I recently got a Starblast 4.5, and I would like to try some astrophotography with it, using my Canon EOS DSLR. Has anyone here tried a similar combination, and does anyone have a reccomendation for an affordable camera adapter and t-ring (assuming that's what I need).

Thanks,

-Tom

I really hate to pop your bubble, but imaging with a DOB is going to be a real problem.

You need to back off a tad and rethink this....and maybe hit the Beginner and Intermediate Imaging forum....

#7 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi all,

Thanks,

-Tom

I really hate to pop your bubble, but imaging with a DOB is going to be a real problem.

You need to back off a tad and rethink this....and maybe hit the Beginner and Intermediate Imaging forum....

OK, that last bit was stupid... DUH.... Need more coffee.... :foreheadslap:

#8 Unknown

Unknown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

wait theres still hope!
Couple your cam with a T-ring and this gizmo!http://www.telescope.com/125-Orion-Universal-Camera-Adapter/p/101418.uts?keyword=universal
You can unscrew the 1.25" nose of this adapter. It has a wide flange attached to it that will thread into a T-ring.
Then prime focus will follow! :jump: :bow: :rainbow:

#9 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

You need to take video to use this scope with a camera (any camera), and you can only shoot the moon and planets...you are aware of that correct?
The 1.25" Orion Universal Camera Adapter Unknown linked to is a solid option, but you still need a T-ring to use it, and like Cliff and John said, the focuser might not hold the weight of the camera anyway.

Oh, and Snowcrow's response is incorrect, you will never be able to take even 1 second exposures with that telescope/mount without significant trails, everything will be streaked. Moon and planets are the only option, and for that you need video.

#10 younkri

younkri

Lift Off

• Loc: Aurora, IL

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Can it be done? Yes. There are a number of mods that are required. The primary needs to be moved up, the focuser would need to be replaced and the tube cut to accommodate a 2" focuser. If you have the visual version, a larger secondary mirror would reduce vignetting. This is all assuming you have an equatorial mount that could track your target to allow for longer exposures.

Attached Files

#11 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Can it be done? Yes. There are a number of mods that are required. The primary needs to be moved up, the focuser would need to be replaced and the tube cut to accommodate a 2" focuser. If you have the visual version, a larger secondary mirror would reduce vignetting. This is all assuming you have an equatorial mount that could track your target to allow for longer exposures.

+1 I have the imaging version of the Starblast. The focuser will need replacing for any imaging to be successful. A 2" focuser will be required for DSLR work. I found the mods required to be too much trouble to use the DSLR. It does work well for astrovideo in it's stock configuration, with a tracking mount of course.

#12 comets4tom

comets4tom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

You could use your DSLR for afocal imaging. Just use your DSLR with lens attached and set up on a separate tripod. Aim the lens at your telescope's widefield eyepiece and focus at an object like the moon. Make sure you use a shutter release cable to avoid vibration.

Tom H.

#13 JJE64

JJE64

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Actually this scope works fine for dslr imaging with no hardcore modding and a little tweaking.
I have the visual version and I image with a Nikon D5200. I bought a similar universal camera adapter someone linked to earlier and attached a Barlow cell to it. I am able to get prime focus on DSOs at about 10mm with no problems.
The main thing I needed to do was get rid of the useless eq-1 mount it came with. I got an ioptron smart eq pro and I autoguide with an orion ssag on a 50mm guide scope. I had to make custom rings for the guide scope to keep the balance in check, and I've got my ota rotated so the camera is beneath it when the mount is parked - keeps the camera about aligned with the RA axis and nullifies the weight.
I'm going to try to attach a picture of my setup, and also an example photo of M51 for those who think my setup won't work or is heresy.

Attached Files

#14 JJE64

JJE64

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

It wouldn't let me post 2 pics, so here is my setup

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics