Jump to content


Bausch & Lomb T mount question.

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lorne


    Lift Off

  • -----
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 08 Jan 2013

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:27 AM


I have a Bausch @ Lomb 4000 telescope with the camera attachment which allows me to use it with my Olympus OM-1 film camera. For Christmas I received a digital Nikon T3i and I would like to use the Bausch @ Lomb 4000 lens with it. I have the following reticles: 12mm., 18mm, 30mm, 18mm, as well as a 2x B&W lens, a 7.5mm focal reducer and a 12.7mm measuring reticle. Being able to use the B &L 4000 lens with my old OM-1 film camera has opened an amazing world of sun spots (I have a solar filter) and moon shots for me. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for mating the B & L lens to my new digital camera. I understand that I will need a “T” adaptor to do so? I live in western Canada and would also appreciate some good sources for finding what I need. I am not only new to astronomy but also to digital photography.

Best regards,

Lorne Bohn (lbohn@shaw.ca)

#2 dgreyson


    Viking 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 816
  • Joined: 06 Nov 2012
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

The camera adaptor threads onto the back of your 4000 in place of the visual back if its B&L made. It has a universal screw T thread. T-rings screw onto the adaptor. Then one mounts the camera to the scope as if it were a big zoom lens.

One buys the particular T-Ring that matches your camera lens mount. Try B&H photo or Adorama or Amazon. They go for $25 dollars or less.

T-rings are made in order to mate third party zoom lenses to various cameras. In stead of making 5 different zoom lenses, they make one with a universal T screw mount and you get the t-ring to match it to your camera. One must have a detatchable lens to use t rings, point and shoot cameras and Iphones use a clamp on adaptor.

#3 H.S.


    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 76
  • Joined: 26 Jun 2007
  • Loc: Terre Du Lac, MO

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Make sure to get the correct "t" ring. Sounds like your camera is a Canon.

#4 Jean Mario

Jean Mario


  • -----
  • Posts: 45
  • Joined: 21 Nov 2010
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada, St-Jerome.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

No it's a Nikon He need Nikon T-ring...

#5 Falcon-



  • *****
  • Posts: 4950
  • Joined: 11 Sep 2009
  • Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

The "T3i" is a Canon model number so I would *suspect* that it is not a Nikon...

In any case since you already have the camera adaptor (the straight tube that screws on to the back of the scope) you are correct that you only need a T-ring for your camera.

- If your Camera is a "Canon EOS Rebel T3i" then this one will do the trick
- If your camera actually *IS* a Nikon DSLR then this is the one you want.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics