#26 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Viking 1

• Loc: O'Fallon, MO

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Mike,

I couldn't agree more...

Dan

If you're trying to select speakers...I'd be more interested in the topics than in the presenter. What would get me interested? Some serious coverage of the PixInsight platform would get my attention. In terms of people: Juan Conejero, Manuel Jimenez, Vicent Peris, Carlos Milovic, Rogelio Bernal Andreo, Steve Leshin.

Juan Conejero is a walking encyclopedia of image processing knowledge and he communicates his knowledge extremely well - at least in a written format. His support posts over in the PixInsight forum are typically mini-lessons all by themself and do a good job of putting complex processing concepts into laymen's terms.

I wouldn't mind seeing some presentations on using our equipment for stuff other than pretty pictures. Lowell Observatory has a bunch of people who can talk on pro-am collaboration. Tim Puckett of Apogee is extremely personable and has some knowledge in this area as well.

I'd be really interested in a speaker who's doing some great astrophotography with mortal equipment. $250,000 of gear and a mountain top location and I expect you to turn out APOD quality work every time you boot up the laptop. Show me a guy who's doing it on a blue collar budget with say....less than $10k of equipment.

In the same sort of vein....find me a speaker that can talk about setting up a remote site....without having to spend huge cash to do it. Show me how to put my $20k imaging rig somewhere dark and remote in a permanent arrangement that doesn't require me to break open the kids college funds to pay for it.

What would I not be interested in? Going to see a speaker who's going to talk about all the same curves, high pass filters, clipping masks and other stuff that I can get from dozens of online tutorials.

That's just my rapidly depreciating 2 cents....

Mike

#27 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• ***--
  • Loc: Merced CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Warren Keller is becoming an expert at Pixinsight and has produced the first in depth series on how to use it. Before I knew Warren, his tutorials helped me understand a very difficult learning curve. I would agree Juan is outstanding, but why fly someone from Spain when you have great teachers here? Maybe Mike hasn't seen Warren's tutorials on Pix?

#28 Dean

Dean

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bailey Co Elev 8780 feet

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

A few I haven't seen mentioned:
Jay GaBany
Tony Hallas
Russell Croman

#29 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Wow! great response! Big W, Johhny Paglioli is on my list, I'm not sure of the cost to get him but you know me, if I can, I will.

Andre, we have had Robert Gendler,( and will again this year)we have also had JPM,and Adam Block.

Sedat, I'll look in to Manuel Jimenez and no! i'm not listening to you because your not coming this year.

Mike, I hear you 100% and I try to do just that but it gets tuff. I had Vicent Peris two years ago do a pix talk. and this year we will be doing an extensive Pix program. I'm also trying to get someone from the Gimp team to do a talk on Gimp. As for the pro-am collaboration side of things for the last 6 years we have many science talks that included Tim Puckett (supernovae), Mike Peoples (comets),Brian D. Warner, (minor planets) Steve Howell ( XO's )and many others.

Grant, we have had Dennis DiCicco and Sean Walker meny times.

Dean, Jay GaBany and tony have both spoke many times, Tony just last year and Russell Croman is retired from speaking.

Please keep them coming

#30 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Sedat, I'll look in to Manuel Jimenez and no! i'm not listening to you because your not coming this year.

Bob, it all depends how seductive you can get :) If you can put a nice Pixinsight team together I may change my mind.

Thanks

#31 Konihlav

Konihlav

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

Mike Wiles - totally agree, would not describe it better :)
what matters (from my point of view) is that a lecture should inspire people to do some amazing work instead of some bore talk on things easily found on the Internet one click away...
I would give one name though - Mischa Schirmer and his presentation from CEDIC 2011 :)

#32 freestar8n

freestar8n

Skylab

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Hi-

I have attended NEAF many times, but never attended the imaging conference. I would be more interested in raw sub-exposures than final images because all final images are based on sub-exposures and their quality is important to everyone. But when it comes to processing, there are different tastes regarding how much one is willing to alter the pixels to produce the final image. And the processing/artistic phase involves a skill set that is separate from those needed to acquire good sub-exposures in the first place.

So instead of just asking for the best "imagers" I would break it down into the separate skills of taking the best sub-exposures with given equipment, and then processing those sub-exposures into a nice image. And the latter can be further broken down based on allowed processing methods - such as masks or any non-global operation that selectively alters the pixels for artistic impact.

I'm not saying any of this is bad - I'm just saying it might be helpful break the imaging process into parts, and to define categories where different processing techniques are allowed. That would be more interesting to me, anyway.

Frank

#33 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Sedat, we are going to at least 3 hours on Pix this year. if that helps a little,

#34 JWalk

JWalk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Don't know him at all but Ivan Eder does some amazing work with a Canon and a Newt.

#35 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Rats - guess I missed the years Dennis and/or Sean were doing presentations on how to acquire and/or process one's own DS images. I recall Sean and maybe Dennis on some other topic, but not specifically this.

I have to agree with Frank. I'm one of those people at the point where I feel I'm "90% there" just through reading and personal trial and error. There are likely improvements I can make to both the acquisition process and the post-processing - it would be really cool to have some people who've managed that last 10% and are willing to share it. This is true of planetary as well as deep sky. I was disappointed with Chris Go's talk last year - he hardly went into any processing specifics at all.

Grant

#36 harry page 1

harry page 1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi
Juan from Pixinsight writes very well in English , but his spoken English is very poor ( His words ), so doubt he would ever do this sort of thing :)
You will need to get Warren there on Pixinsight

Regards Harry Page

#37 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hi all I'm starting to put together speakers for NEAIC 2013 and I was wondering who you all think the top five are. Please post names and any other contact info you may have..

Bob

NASA. Anyone dare to compete with the Hubble telescope? Such a poll would not make any sense without putting a limit on the dollar amount.

#38 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

• Vendors
  • Loc: Mineral Point, Wi

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

My Friend Mark Hanson is doing amazing work...

http://www.btlguce.com/

#39 soreneck

soreneck

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I agree with Mike's comments, particularly:

If you're trying to select speakers...I'd be more interested in the topics than in the presenter.

<snip>

I'd be really interested in a speaker who's doing some great astrophotography with mortal equipment.

From Bob Moore's perspective, he's looking at speakers for the NEAIC audience. This excellent CN CCD forum is filled with intermediate-to-advanced imagers, but beginning imagers who attend NEAIC may still be struggling with the earlier part of the learning curve ... a compelling speaker who can demystify the basics could be attractive to them.

And another vote for Warren from me.

Cheers,
Adam

#40 avdhoeven

avdhoeven

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: netherlands

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I just started 2,5 years ago with imaging using some basic equipment and I fully agree with soreneck. It's very interesting to see what people are doing with basic equipment. The $20000+ images are inspiring, but what can you reach with let's say $5000 equipment (incl. camera's etc.)? I think much more than you would think. I just mention last year that I detected my first exoplanet with a basic CCD camera and a C11. These kind of things are inspiring I guess. Unfortunately the NEAIF is too far away from me, but I would love to hear the speakers some day that I see mentioned here, but also some fellow 'beginners' that show what they reach, because that gives a realistic view for other beginners what to expect... Luckily we have the CEDIC here in Europe in March. I will certainly go there... :)

#41 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Alph, Last year I had Dr. Frank Summers, Dr Summers is one of the team members form the Hubble image processing team.

Adam, for the last 6 years we have put together a program of 6 talks over the two days starting with this is an astro imaging camera on day one talk one and after 6 + hours of talks here is your completed simple processed image.

So whether your setup cost $1,500.00 OR $2,500,000,000.00 we have tried to help you with the processing with your images.

#42 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

One of the things I try to make sure we impress on our speakers is that attendees are not interested to see what you can do with your images, they want to learn how an why you process an image the way you do.

It's a challenger every year to find the speakers that bring something new to the table and can impart that information to the attendees. That's why i come to you all, so you can tell me what you want to see and hear, so I can give you the best imaging conference.

Please keep it coming.

#43 hytham

hytham

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Tundra

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

If you're trying to select speakers...I'd be more interested in the topics than in the presenter. What would get me interested? Some serious coverage of the PixInsight platform would get my attention. In terms of people: Juan Conejero, Manuel Jimenez, Vicent Peris, Carlos Milovic, Rogelio Bernal Andreo, Steve Leshin.

Juan Conejero is a walking encyclopedia of image processing knowledge and he communicates his knowledge extremely well - at least in a written format. His support posts over in the PixInsight forum are typically mini-lessons all by themself and do a good job of putting complex processing concepts into laymen's terms.

Show me a guy who's doing it on a blue collar budget with say....less than $10k of equipment.

In the same sort of vein....find me a speaker that can talk about setting up a remote site....without having to spend huge cash to do it. Show me how to put my $20k imaging rig somewhere dark and remote in a permanent arrangement that doesn't require me to break open the kids college funds to pay for it.

Mike nailed it for me as well. I'd fly out in a heartbeat if you can get any of the Spanish gentlemen to speak.

Rogelio is a definite inspiration of mine. His images are surreal.

#44 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• ***--

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Sal gave a great presentation at AIC last year. He demonstrated how to take lower priced equipment and still do some amazing processing in light polluted skies. Now that he's becoming proficient in PixInsight, I'm sure he's learned how to apply that to his data. Sal probably represents close to 95% of the imagers out there. Most do not have $30k of equipment sitting at a dark site. They fight gradients, poor seeing, and mounts that don't track perfectly. I mention Sal because he's learned to work around all those roadblocks. Maybe break the sessions up based on skill level and equipment. If your a beginning or intermediate user, listening to Juan would be way over your head. On the other side if you've been imaging for 5 years you likely don't care about how to equalize backgrounds in photoshop. I know from personal experiance imaging from my back yard with a CGEM and now imaging at New Mexico Skies with a paramount, the quality of the data and the ease of processing is far different. My problem is do I throw out all the images where seeing was worse than 1.75?
One thing I don't see presented very often is automation. Software has changed so dramatically and has enabled most of the difficult tasks simple. You don't need a remote site to enjoy the benefits. Many beginners do not understand plate solving and the benefits associated with it. It's a lot easier to capture a lot of data and sleep at night for a small cost of $99

#45 Mr_T

Mr_T

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I think the speakers that i have heard and have stood out have been
Ken Crawford RJ Gabany Tom Davis.Would like to hear Adam Block
Have to agree good imagers don't always make good speakers Some have been very hard to understand with English not been there native language
How about some speakers on obs automation

#46 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Mr. T, We had Bob Denny do a talk on ACP lase year and this year I planing on a talk on CCD Auto Pilot 5. and just for the record, I talked to Adam Block back in Nov. he told me at that time he was going to be in the Far East in April.

#47 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Mike Miller, Sal? do you have a last name or contact info?

#48 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• ***--

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

See earlier post SGT500 is user name. Warren knows him very well. Lives in FL.

#49 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Mike i sent him an e-mail

#50 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sedat, Thanks for e-mailing Jerry H. I just got off the phone with him. but i'm still not listening to you

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics