• Please log in to reply
1078 replies to this topic

#651 Alan A.

Alan A.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for posting info on this mount, I pulled the trigger and ordered it from astronomics for use with my 4" Tak.

Of note, when I ordered the scope they said the VX works fine with Celestron's 6" f/8 refractor. In fact, Celestron sells the VX with their 6" f/8 as a package! I will cautiously try my FS152 with it.

#652 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

For purely visual I just move the mount and adjust the screws until I see Polaris in the EP then I do a 2+3 align and by the 1st and rarely 2nd calibration star it's in the EP near dead on then GOTOs are also within the 17mm Delos on my 8" Edge with little fiddling so it's pretty accurate. Setup time would be about 10-15 minutes from decision to observe to finishing alignment and viewing and that includes hauling everything out. It will handle the weight of the 152 fine. I had a 152mm ES Achro (yard cannon) on my CG5 without problem.

#653 Alan A.

Alan A.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thanks, thats good news. This mount will be a bargain if it will do handle both of my refractors.

#654 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

I think low latitude users will be happy with it. You will have to remove one of the adjustment screws. I believe if you live below about 5 deg you will have to tip the tripod slightly to get CW clearance. However it does adjust down to zero degrees and if you mount it on a permanent pier of small enough diameter it will be completely at home at the equator.

Was wondering if anyone has tried out the VX at low latitudes <5° (well, specifically 1° :grin:), or at least a simulated setup? I presume one would loose fine adjustments on the tilt of the mount head since you have to remove the front tilt adjustment screw? It also looks like the North azimuth pin can be positioned either over one leg or between two legs?

#655 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

is there a thread somewhere describing how to do a polar align if you are on the equator? always wondered how it would be done?

#656 core

core

Apollo

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

is there a thread somewhere describing how to do a polar align if you are on the equator? always wondered how it would be done?

The previous method was to drift align the mount (iirc should be described in almost every celestron gem manual), with the newer nextstar firmware, use the all star polar alignment routine (ASPA).

Also, check post #5834261 and google search for drift align using dSLR, for final adjustments to ASPA

#657 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

From a look at the AVX altitude setup there's no need to remove any screws to get to low latitudes, the normal adjustment will go there. The reason C seems to specify a minimum of 7 degrees is that the counterweights will hit the tripod. Mounting it on a pier would solve this.

I believe there's a photo showing this somewhere back in the thread.

Spending half an hour going through this thread would be useful for anyone wanting to know more about this mount, there's a lot of useful information here, sometimes more than once.

Chris

#658 core

core

Apollo

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

From a look at the AVX altitude setup ...

I believe there's a photo showing this somewhere back in the thread.

Spending half an hour going through this thread

Well, one way to skin the cat is to view all 33 pages (at present) of the thread in one browser window by clicking on the show all link, than do a Ctrl-F to find for certain text (eg, "low latitude" - 6 instances, "remove" - 15 instances) :grin:

Ken's post #5616985 indicates "I think low latitude users will be happy with it. You will have to remove one of the adjustment screws." There are a couple of pictures posted that indicate that the cwt bar or cwt itself, depending on its position on the bar, might hit the front adjustment screw (the one with the T-handle). There's a photo at post #5628812 (thanks again, Ken!) which shows the mount at a close-to-0° latitude setup, but in that thread Ken's discussion is with respect to the AVX's problems mating to a Orion pier. There's also your post #5615750 "
The latitude adjustment goes down to slightly less than zero degrees, but I'm not sure if the counterweight will miss the tripod at low latitudes." iirc there are some GEM's that allow you to position the cwt between 2 of the tripod legs, which helps with low-latitude clearance issues (not sure about stability though).

Anyways, just to re-phrase, would appreciate if anyone has actual use of the AVX at low latitudes! :)

#659 Carl N

Carl N

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I posted photos on Flickr for someone else on this forum, thought id let everyone in on them. just photos with my D7000 and an 80-200 lens on the AVX. unguided no PEC set at f/5. A satelite crossed the first, 2 minute, image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlnank/

#660 nine44

nine44

Ranger 4

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Anyone's else's VX come with clutch levers installed incorrectly? I noticed that my clutch levers were positioned such that, when the mount would slew, the levers would hit the mount housing, and get loosened to the point that the clutches would slip (both RA and Dec). I contacted Celestron and verified that they were installed incorrectly. Unfortunately, the stainless steel screws that attach the levers to the brass bolts (that apply clutch pressure) were impossible to remove. I had to drill both out, order new parts (Celestron sent for free) and re-install. Works great now--but just curious if the "new guy" put mine together or if this is a wider issue.

https://skydrive.liv...C1FB32E&id=D...

#661 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Anyone's else's VX come with clutch levers installed incorrectly? I noticed that my clutch levers were positioned such that, when the mount would slew, the levers would hit the mount housing, and get loosened to the point that the clutches would slip (both RA and Dec). I contacted Celestron and verified that they were installed incorrectly. Unfortunately, the stainless steel screws that attach the levers to the brass bolts (that apply clutch pressure) were impossible to remove. I had to drill both out, order new parts (Celestron sent for free) and re-install. Works great now--but just curious if the "new guy" put mine together or if this is a wider issue.

https://skydrive.liv...C1FB32E&id=D...

That's a new one. Definitely the new guy on Friday afternoon. They have really started thread locking those screws in on mounts and they are actually just chromed steel so they are easy to chew up. Good thing it was an easy fix.

#662 Carl N

Carl N

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

I found the same thing. I was able to loosen the screws, substantially but not completely removing them, until I could re-position the lever position a small bit. Just enough so that the lever clears the motor housing as it slews by.

Loosening the screws was a nervous moment, but they came out with careful application of pressure and a properly sized screwdriver. Not a #2 Phillips!

I found this came into play as I was adding weight. So I try to be careful about not torquing down on my clutch levers.

:smash: :smash:

#663 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

thats definitely in the wrong position, i seem to remember someone having the same problem as you on another thread with their DEC clutch. My Dec clutch lock is in an ok position for sure and i don't have this problem with the RA clutch either...

Attached Files

#664 SunBlack

SunBlack

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome (IT)

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

hi all, any experience with pec and-or polar align assisted procedure, verifying a better tracking performance in unguided AP?

#665 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

As a community service, it would be nice for someone who has faced this problem to get back to both their dealer and Celstron, and let them know about the issue. Celestron is unlikely to fix any issue that hasn't caused a boatload of dealer returns and lots of moaning in the reseller channel.

If everyone exercises self-help, they'll never get around to pummeling Synta the factory worker who keeps messing up. :grin:

- Jim

#666 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

seems to be a lack of quality control with the RA and DEC clutches. But don't let that put anyone off from buying the VX mount, it will be a small percentage that will be affected, and it is a fantastic mount.

#667 EManT2200

EManT2200

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have a C9.25 with a CGE dovetail bar. Will that bar fit the AVX mount ?

Attached Files

#668 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

No. The CGE mount accepts a Losmandy-style dovetail plate. The AVX (like most mounts in its weight class) accepts the narrower Vixen-style dovetail plate.

#669 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

It will hold the 9.25 SCT with a vixen dovetail, but you probably will be hitting the load limit, so not much room for adding accessories. The VX mount is best designed for 8 inch max SCT, that way, it gives you more available load to add a DSLR, plus accessories

#670 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

It will if you replace the stock saddle with an ADM dual saddle. If I was to buy a VX that would probably be the first thing I would do.

#671 SunBlack

SunBlack

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

up!

hi all, any experience with pec and-or polar align assisted procedure, verifying a better tracking performance in unguided AP?

besides: any tip about restorring pec after mount shut down? Ie do park scope and or do not deblock ra axsis to not loose correspondance between gears?

#672 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

It's all in this thread - somewhere.

I did some tests of the AVX PEC and got a corrected RMS error of 2.6 arc seconds.

IMO the simplest way to handle PEC is Celestron's free PECTool application. It will automate collecting, averaging and uploading multiple PEC cycles. You can also save the PEC data on your PC so you can restore it after something that looses it such as a mount upgrade.

There's no need to worry about restoring PEC, there's a sensor that synchronises it.

Chris

#673 SunBlack

SunBlack

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

thx Chris for replying. 2.6 is a nice value. Keep in mind i do not use pc on the field, so pec would be managed by hc only, so it is nice to hear that thing about the sensor/encoder.

#674 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

As a community service, it would be nice for someone who has faced this problem to get back to both their dealer and Celstron, and let them know about the issue. Celestron is unlikely to fix any issue that hasn't caused a boatload of dealer returns and lots of moaning in the reseller channel.

If everyone exercises self-help, they'll never get around to pummeling Synta the factory worker who keeps messing up. :grin:

- Jim

Jim-

Since I will be pummeling Celestron this morning over the run-the-avx-in-dual-ota-fry-the-hand-controller bug that just happened to me over the weekend where I put up my Tak and Edge 800 in SBS only to have the mount go spastic on alignment to which I powered down to do a factory reset (which cured the spastic alignment problem before on the CGEM, CG5, and AVX) followed by power to the mount head and a dead hand controller I will bring up that many users are posting here that there are clutch install problems.

A friend just took a job with them (expect some VERY cool stuff coming soon from them since he was hired for his expertise in market segments they want to be in but are not doing as well as they could in) and he did mention that this site is monitored by folks there.

This plus the Meade purchase by Scott Roberts and company (I would love to be a fly on the wall for the first week there! Scott walks in to Department X: You, you, and you! You're fired. Get out. And on your way out fire some other people then turn off the lights. LX80 Engineering/Testing? You're not fired. We are just shipping you to China where you are sentenced to 16 years hard labor. Just go with these nice men here please.)

Update: I went down to their office today after dealing with someone in phone support. The person on the phone went above and beyond as did the on site support person. And I got to meet the firmware engineer. Interesting conversation about the hand controller failure. All in all a very good experience so a big thank you to Celestron! Now if Meade would only take notes...

#675 bayleyjordan

bayleyjordan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

And I got to meet the firmware engineer. Interesting conversation about the hand controller failure. All in all a very good experience so a big thank you to Celestron! Now if Meade would only take notes...

Mind telling us what he said about the HC? Mine died my first night out in the field, I got a new one sent from the dealer and haven't had problems since...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics