Celestron VX mount

• Please log in to reply
1068 replies to this topic

#726 Carl N

Carl N

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Just noted there is an update to the SkyQ app that fixes the bug for the AVX. I haven't tried it out yet.

#727 grid

grid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the advice on looking for the battery to fix the date and time issue. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but I had to open this up and there was a small piece of plastic blocking the battery from completing a circuit. I had to remove the piece of plastic for this to work. This is on the side of the mount and requires you to remove the side panel and the circuit board on the panel to see the battery. See the attached picture.

Attached Files

#728 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the advice on looking for the battery to fix the date and time issue. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but I had to open this up and there was a small piece of plastic blocking the battery from completing a circuit. I had to remove the piece of plastic for this to work. This is on the side of the mount and requires you to remove the side panel and the circuit board on the panel to see the battery. See the attached picture.

That looks like a normal battery protector that is used to conserve these batteries, but I have never seen one still in place inside a mount. I have only seen them (sometimes) on new boards.

#729 starhunter50

starhunter50

Explorer 1

• Loc: Tilbury,Ontario 42N , 82W

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

If anyone wants to contribute to our AVX group please pass it on or sign up...
http://ca.groups.yah...up/celestronVX/
Mitch

#730 186vett

186vett

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

So, with my VX mount, now at 3 months, at some point, I'll need to replace the battery?
Thanks Folks for your Response-Jerry

#731 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Well, yeah, any battery will have to be replaced eventually. It should take a long time for the VX battery to need replacement, however. Maybe as much as a couple of years.

#732 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Just noted there is an update to the SkyQ app that fixes the bug for the AVX. I haven't tried it out yet.

Please let me know if it worked for you. I updated the app and it still doesn't show EQ mode just Alt/AZ.

#733 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

Finally first night out under the stars with the VX, and the wait was worth it. Rough polar align, two star align with 2 calibration stars and it was dead on the couple targets I glanced at.

My main objective was to get first light with VX, SSAG, PHD, Elbrus, and Sequence Gen. and try to get everything working for tomorrow night which looks like its going to be even better.

However once I got PHD up and running (graph looked pretty good from the start but what do I know lol) I took my time tweeking it to smooth it out the RA a little. I started to just sit there staring up at the stars and barely glancing at the graph.

Didn't get to plate solving or imaging but was a great night out. ;)

#734 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I'd like to save my alignment from a night before session. I've marked out in paint on the grass on the field where I observe where my tripod legs go. Also painted a marker where North is.

So, can I use Last Align to really used a saved alignment? I tried using hibernate but I must have done something wrong using it because when I powered up out of hibernate, slewing to the Moon was way off.

#735 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

The scope doesn't know it has moved so if you want to preserve an alignment then you must replace the scope in exactly the same position.

If you want to get arc minute accuracy the tripod legs would need to be in the same place to within a fraction of a mm. Also the Last Alignment would require that the mount be set to the index position to within an arc minute. That may be possible with index switches but probably not by aligning the marks on the mount by eye.

Similarly with Hibernate - and the mount itself must not be moved.

Starting from the same position should help with doing the alignment though.

Chris

#736 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

:( Well that beats it then, I'll just have to run the alignment every time.

I have the paint markers just a little wider than the tripod feet, so the putting the feet down is within a 1/4 inch.

I need to take the telescope inside or store it in my shed as I live in an apartment with a 5 acre lawn at my back door (it has a natural gas pipeline, so no one can build on it).

#737 heyjojos

heyjojos

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hi
I live in Singapore where the latitude is 1.4 deg and would like to buy the AVX mount. I have read that the specification for the mount is 7-77 deg. I have written to Celestron asking if the mount would work if I install a half pillar on the tripod. I'm concern that there would be interface issues between the counterweight and tripod. Unfortunately, Celestron responded that it would not work despite installing the half pillar on the tripod.

I do like some second opinion as I still think that it would work. I like to have this confirmed before I my purchase. Has anyone tried this and work? Appreciate any advise. Thanks.

Jojos

#738 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Hi
I live in Singapore where the latitude is 1.4 deg and would like to buy the AVX mount. I have read that the specification for the mount is 7-77 deg. I have written to Celestron asking if the mount would work if I install a half pillar on the tripod. I'm concern that there would be interface issues between the counterweight and tripod.

If you tilt the tripod 5.6 degrees then tripod/counterweight issues would be the same as if the tripod were level and your latitude 7 degrees. Then you'd just have to worry about how far that shifts the center of balance. I didn't do the math but it seems as though it should still be well within the tripod legs.

#739 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

There's a photo back in this thread showing the mount on a pier set to about zero latitude. It's about half way down page six.

Chris

#740 KevinS

KevinS

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

I had a similar problem.
After experimenting, I believe it works like this...
The HC can be set to get time from it's config memory, a remote GPS, or the motor board (RTC). The default is for it to get it from the HC (config memory)
Since this is static information, you have to set it every time the unit is turned on.
The RTC still has a time of day when it was made/qc checked/initialized.
If the RTC battery were dead or not connected then you wouldn't see this time progress between power cycles. (Worth checking before opening the circuit cover.)
I found that you can set the RTC clock after you enable it in utilities then walk backwards through the menus until you get to the location/time setting. RTC does not get set in the default power up time setting. You have to back into it to set the RTC.
Again, this is what I derived from experimentation. Your results may vary.
Love this mount, hate the manual.
:confused:

#741 SunBlack

SunBlack

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome (IT)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

UP.....

Another quick question: i supposed to have read that Vixen GP polar scope is compatible with CG5 mounts (with VX then too), am i wrong?

#742 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

First night getting the AVX set up for some long exposures. I do not have my Orion Autoguider set up yet as I made the mistake of not realizing I needed a different mounting bracket, so I had to order one. Luckily it comes tomorrow. Anyhow, a few observations:

1. The All Star Polar Align process is fantastic! It did not take long at all to do, and the results seem to be quite good.

2. Thus far, I am able to take 120 second exposures without any star trails. For my run tonight, I am doing just that for 80 exposures.

3. I must be blind, but the book keeps stating there is a built in bubble level. I certainly do not see one. Luckily I have other levels.

4. I wouldn't know any better (my first GEM) but I absolutely love this thing. The controls are placed in perfect locations, the software works well, and its tracking is quite good.

-Bill

#743 ohata0

ohata0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hawaii, USA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

i just got mine late last week. took it out a couple of times since then, but the weather wasn't cooperating at all. wanted to get used to setting it up and all that.

had trouble getting the gotos to be accurate, as well as doing polar alignment, but that's probably because of the very limited window i had to align the stars before some clouds covered it, that and with the limited open sky i had, it was a little difficult to figure out if i was on the right star or not.

i just got the finderscope in today, which completes my vx , ssag autoguider package and adm universal dovetail order.

decided to go w/ the vx over the zeq25 since i live in hawaii, so shipping on the zeq25 is an extra $125 (vx had free shipping from opt), plus the $80 off for the celestron summer sale. wasn't planning on buying the autoguider yet, but got that since the autoguider was on sale, plus there was another coupon code for $50 orders over $400 (got the deluxe finderscope over the normal one).

i like it so far, but i really want the clouds to go away so i can practice the alignment routines. can't really start imaging without getting better at that (especially the polar alignment part). i'll learn the autoguiding later on, after i get used to imaging with it.

oh yeah, there is no bubble level on the vx. i don't remember where i read it (maybe this thread), but there is a typo in the manual. also, it says that when putting the attaching the mount to the tripod to turn it clockwise...is that a typo as well? because i have to turn it counter-clockwise.

#744 fldba

fldba

Lift Off

• Loc: CT

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the central rod that attaches the eq mount to the tripod head? Is it M12 x 1.75mm coarse? I just received a new AVX mount and the central rod does not thread completely into the mount base so it is not secure. I suspect there is a burr in the threads that I might be able to clean out using a tap. Just need to know what size to buy.

#745 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

had trouble getting the gotos to be accurate, as well as doing polar alignment, but that's probably because of the very limited window i had to align the stars before some clouds covered it, that and with the limited open sky i had, it was a little difficult to figure out if i was on the right star or not.

i like it so far, but i really want the clouds to go away so i can practice the alignment routines. can't really start imaging without getting better at that (especially the polar alignment part). i'll learn the autoguiding later on, after i get used to imaging with it.

oh yeah, there is no bubble level on the vx. i don't remember where i read it (maybe this thread), but there is a typo in the manual. also, it says that when putting the attaching the mount to the tripod to turn it clockwise...is that a typo as well? because i have to turn it counter-clockwise.

There are apps that can help you identify stars. SkySafari is a good one, and I will not observe or image without it now! At the beginning of the evening, I set my scope up and ensure I am facing due north (I use a compass to ensure it is dead on). Then I start my 2-star align, add a third star (it will ask if you want it to), then run through the Polar Alignment process via the software. Once that is complete, my Go-To's are right on the money. In fact, after a night of tracking NGC7000 (roughly 2hrs 45mins) I used the hand control to point to M31 and no adjustments were needed. It was already dead center in my eyepiece.

I gave up on the ghost bubble level :roflmao:. I don't extend the tripod legs at all (I do use the vibration pads though), so I am usually bang on in terms of level anyhow. I am not sure what you are referring to about turning something clockwise or counter-clockwise. Setup was a breeze and quite non-eventful. The only snafu I had was finding the bubble level that does not exist. :lol:

#746 ohata0

ohata0

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

still playing around with it, currently typing this hoping that the clouds will go away (probably won't though).

i was wondering why i had so much trouble with my gotos and then was wondering why tonight the moon didn't show up as something i could slew to. decided to check the time settings again, and found the hawaii time zone (i selected pacific earlier). :tonofbricks:

hopefully that helps make my gotos more accurate. should also get rid of that meridian problem i had earlier with my previous gotos (thought it was a time issue, but i assumed it was a daylight savings glitch. didn't think to check the time zone...i figured i live in the pacific (ocean), and that entering the longitude gave me the correct time zone). >_<

other good news is that i've finally got astrotortilla setup and working for the most part, so that should help when my gotos are really off. now just gotta get clear skies so i can practice my polar alignment. if i have a nice stretch of clear skies, i'll probably try the 2+4 alignment + aspa and see how well that does.

oh yeah, the clockwise thing was the part in the manual about putting the mount on the tripod (which way to turn the mounting knob). i thought it was a typo...it's just a point of view thing. it's clockwise to tighten the screw from underneath, and counterclockwise from above.

#747 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

I just noticed the AVX is on sale for $719.

Stan

#748 ohata0

ohata0

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

yup, on sale until the end of august.

#749 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Stan

Ahh, you finally figured this out, I think it's a great price, even with the CG5 offered at $550. Now off to find me some small bubble levels and get em retrofitted. :smash:

#750 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

Stan

Ahh, you finally figured this out, I think it's a great price, even with the CG5 offered at $550. Now off to find me some small bubble levels and get em retrofitted. :smash:

I used these for my CGEM when the level lost it's fluid.

Stan

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&co...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics