• Please log in to reply
1072 replies to this topic

#951 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Wow! :shocked: It has take 3 months to fill the last 2 pages on this thread. It looks like most of the issues with the AVX have been worked out. Are there no challenges left?
Be Well
Grey

#952 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

anyone know if the supposed lockup due to the cold, is down to the grease used on the gears?

Would a different cold resistant grease be any better?..

rephrase the question.. what exactly gets locked up..

Over the last few weeks I've had mine out several times for a couple hours running between 5 and 10F with no issue other than a thick layer of frost on everything at the end.

#953 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Wow! :shocked: It has take 3 months to fill the last 2 pages on this thread. It looks like most of the issues with the AVX have been worked out. Are there no challenges left?
Be Well
Grey

Part of the reason is that the mount is (mostly) a known quantity. It is an improved CG5...not too much to go horribly wrong. I do note for those living in climates like mine that are not arctic cold that the Plus HC seems unaffected by the lower 30s F.

#954 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Celestron said to me that the AVX should operate normally down to +19F. So if you are out at -16C, then NO WONDER you were having issues. :foreheadslap:

It's not impossible. I have successfully used mine down to 5ºF (-15C). No issues other than *I* was miserable. Humidity was very, very low though - there was no frost at all.

#955 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

I have used mine in -10C, for about a few hours without any problems, apart from being too cold for me to withstand

#956 gigi g

gigi g

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

ARRGH! Just unpacking my new VX mount and excited to get going. But NO CENTRAL ROD!!! Do you think the rod threads just got so troublesome that Celestron decided to forget it altogether? What a letdown. I hope my guys at OPT can get me one in an instant. Still, I've lost the whole weekend. Probably won't see get a rod till Tuesday or so.

#957 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

How could they forget it? What else would you use to hold mount to tripod? They forgot to install it. So it goes with the modern Celestron, alas.

#958 gigi g

gigi g

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Well the tripod box had been opened at the store. I know this because they packed my losmandy dovetail inside. I figure the mount had been sitting around, either returned by a customer or "used for parts"!

#959 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

Did they advertise it as new? or used?

#960 kirscovitch

kirscovitch

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antigo WI

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

I've had my VX for just over a month. It is my first EQ mount so I am still learning but I must say that I love it so far. Alignment is super simple and ASPA is pretty simple. Best GOTO's I've ever had. Everything is right dead center. Only problem so far was the dec clutch lever would hit the motor housing and loosen. It was a very quick fix. Other than that no problems. With the 2 star align and just 2 calibration stars, 90 sec subs are pretty easy. Looking forward to more clear spring skies and getting to know my VX more.

#961 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vostok 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

gigi g,

Why not try to get a bolt that fits from your local hardware store?

#962 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

You won't have an easy time finding the bolt you need at the neighborhood hardware store. ;)

#963 inz

inz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting this mount and trying to get a handle on the power requirements. Apologies as I know this has been discussed previously, but my knowledge of electromagnetism is really hazy.

The requirements look to be: 12V DC 3.5A

From what I remember, W = V * A, so the max power consumption looks to be about 42 watts.

My current power supply is: 12V, up to 8A (100W max), regulated
With a peak capacity of: 58Wh (11V, 5200mAh)

So it looks like I’m okay regarding volts and amps, but I’m not sure how long I could expect to run the mount from this power supply. At max power consumption, it looks to be about 1.38 hours. If anyone could confirm my math, it would be greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone have an idea of what the tracking and skewing power consumption rates are (versus the max)?

Thanks!

#964 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

Not sure what kind of powersupply you are using. "Regulated power supply" usually means an AC supply you plug into the wall.

Anyhoo, what do I use to run my VX all night long? If there is AC, I use the 5amp supply Celestron sells for the scope. If there ain't no AC, I use one of the ubiquitous 17ah jumpstart batteries, which is more than enough. The mount might draw as much as 3 amps, BUT ONLY WHEN YOU ARE SLEWING AT HIGH SPEED, not when you are just tracking. ;)

#965 inz

inz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for your response!

I have a Sherpa 50 power pack from Goal Zero that I can recharge with a solar panel (I already use this for a number of different applications). Useful when camping!

The output with the cigarette adaptor is 12v DC, so looks like I should be good to go.

#966 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

I have had my portable power overnight barely dip below a few percent points.

#967 Coyote13

Coyote13

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hi All!

First post here.

I picked up a avx with the c8 a little over a month ago. With Mother Natures love of new astronomy equipment I've only been able to take it out three times. Once during each of the last two times, I've goto'ed to an object and after it centered one of the directional buttons (I believe it was an azimuth button both times) wouldn't work till I used goto to center a different object. Any ideas what's going on? I balanced the scope on both axis and I have just the basics that came with the package attached to the scope. :question:

#968 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Coyote13, if you were on a object and the counterweights were above the telescope and the bar was a little past horizontal with the scope on the west side of the mount, it could be at the end of travel for the RA axis.

#969 SunBlack

SunBlack

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome (IT)

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

I note a Dec axis stiffness, since i bought mount, so sometime i doubt if mount is well balanced in Dec. This stifness produces a backlash, which cannot be corrected by HC (i made some tests) , and at 2x motor speed, it's hard to make HC corrections (motor starts to move very late, exp in one direction).

What you think: i need a dec axis fine tuning?
and
Will PEC playback does/replicates Dec corrections i did on training, on AVX?

#970 Coyote13

Coyote13

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

:foreheadslap: Doh.

Thaaat could be it. I'm so enamored with playing with the new electronics the mechanical limitations didn't even cross my mind.
:tonofbricks:

#971 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

@ Sunblack, unless your doing astrophotography, their is no need to turn on PEC, you should at least try to balance the dec well enough, it might be a too tight clutch, try taking off the lever arm and unscrewing the screw just a little and then putting the lever arm back on in a position that lets you get some torque on it when tightening.

also you need to adjust anti-backlash setting in the HC to a setting that when you press a button the gears move the axis that your pressing with out a pause, try a backlash setting of either +20 and -20 or +50 and -50 on both positive and negative on RA and DEC, if you notice a jump when releasing the button use a lower setting for the negative

#972 SunBlack

SunBlack

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome (IT)

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

I do AP.

#973 oldwolf

oldwolf

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

The VX is a nice mount for sure. But never having had a GoTo mount before, I am wondering if I would be better off finding a nice used CG5 for my C8. I do causal observing and maybe some amateur digital photography in the future.

#974 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Depends on what you mean by "CG5." If you mean the advanced ASGT CG5, the goto version, sure, it's a good mount. Though the VX rounds off some of its sharp edges. The non-goto "CG5," the manual GP clones? Not so good. With some of 'em being outright junk. ;)

#975 kirscovitch

kirscovitch

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antigo WI

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

@ Sunblack, unless your doing astrophotography, their is no need to turn on PEC, you should at least try to balance the dec well enough, it might be a too tight clutch, try taking off the lever arm and unscrewing the screw just a little and then putting the lever arm back on in a position that lets you get some torque on it when tightening.

also you need to adjust anti-backlash setting in the HC to a setting that when you press a button the gears move the axis that your pressing with out a pause, try a backlash setting of either +20 and -20 or +50 and -50 on both positive and negative on RA and DEC, if you notice a jump when releasing the button use a lower setting for the negative

Can you use the PEC anytime during imaging? Or is used for imaging with an auto guider?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics