• Please log in to reply
1085 replies to this topic

#126 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Mike, many thanks for the most informative videos. I had no idea the mount was already selling retail, whoa! I'm not sure if its the right upgrade for me. The major drawcard is that it certainly seems to be a tighter mount all around compared to the standard CG5, and that it maintains the lightweight design. But from first appearances, I'm curious why they have stuck with plastic motor housings and not gone towards something along the lines of say the HEQ5. I guess that they wanted to keep it around the original price point.

Questions:
1) Would you say the stiffness and load carrying capacity is better than the CG5 ? I ask because my the LXD75 can carry a TV NP127is (about 7-8 kgs OTA), but it's not exactly optimal, even after adjusting the slack out of the worm gears.

2) How do the motor housings and worms attach to the axes? Its my big gripe about the LXD75 - they attach via a large single Allen bolt, and boy IMHO its very crude in design and build quality indeed.

Cheers,
Fox

#127 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Looks like the best thing about the VX is Celestron packaged some clear skies with it!

#128 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

One thing I noticed that no one else has mentioned yet - the dec motor on the AVX does not rotate with the dec axis like on the AS-GT, but is stationary (and smaller than the AS-GT motor housing). Also, it looks like the RA motor & electronics on the AVX are attached much more securely to the mount than on the AS-GT.

Looks like a bunch of good evolutionary changes compared to the AS-GT. I guess its time to shine up my 5 year old AS-GT (which has been a great mount) and trade it up for one of these things. It looks like it would work as a decent imaging mount for my FS-60, MK-67 (for moon & planets), and maybe even my 110ED.

Greg

#129 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Nice videos Michael.

That's a 10" Meade SCT isn't it? It will be interesting to see how well it carries that much weight.

If you are using the ASCOM driver for guiding you will need to upgrade to version 5.0.30 or better. I've just put this in the files area of the ASCOM-Talk Yahoo group. The earlier versions don't recognise the new mount ID and assume that guiding isn't possible.

With the correct driver it uses the new guide command in the motor controller so doesn't rely on the PC for it's timing.

I had clear skies about a day after the scope arrived, but I'm in the UK and it may have taken a bit longer to arrive :)

#130 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Nice videos Michael.

That's a 10" Meade SCT isn't it? It will be interesting to see how well it carries that much weight.

If you are using the ASCOM driver for guiding you will need to upgrade to version 5.0.30 or better. I've just put this in the files area of the ASCOM-Talk Yahoo group. The earlier versions don't recognise the new mount ID and assume that guiding isn't possible.

With the correct driver it uses the new guide command in the motor controller so doesn't rely on the PC for it's timing.

I had clear skies about a day after the scope arrived, but I'm in the UK and it may have taken a bit longer to arrive :)

Thanks for the tip. All I got around to last night was doing the initial alignment, testing pointing out then I spent way too much time collimating my OTA. Which I still need to work on.

The mount seemed to carry the weight really well visually but I haven't tested with a camera yet. I want to re-align tonight, do the polar alignment routine and get my auto guider up and running.

#131 stryder

stryder

Sputnik

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but I have an 8SE -- I'm assuming it's got a Vixen dovetail so I should be able to upgrade to that mount down the road right?

#132 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Yes

#133 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I see notes that people are buying them. Are they actually available at retailers? Last I saw was that delivery was going to be late February.

#134 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I see notes that people are buying them. Are they actually available at retailers? Last I saw was that delivery was going to be late February.

I called up Farah at Woodland Hills Camera and Telescope and I said "hey, that new Celestron Advanced Vx, when can I get one?" and she said "I can ship it out Thursday so you'll have it by the weekend (I am about 50 miles from there)." I said "cool" " she said send me your info via email" I did that. I got it friday.

So to answer your question, YEP. They are available. The Starsense accessory is scheduled for March though.

#135 Ken Hutchinson

Ken Hutchinson

Ranger 4

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Celestron told me they were planning to have the AVX in stock when the announcement was made. Sounds like the plan worked. Perhaps the February date on the Celestron website indicates that everything they had is already in dealer's hands and once the dealer stock is gone the next shipment will arrive then? I'm just guessing....

Ken

#136 dr.who

dr.who

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Woodland Hills Camera and Telescope is my shop too and Farah is great to work with. So is Kevin. Really knows his stuff. I picked mine up from there as well. I know she has several in the warehouse if someone wants one ASAP.

And to the poster about the 8SE... As long as it's Vixen it will work fine on this mount. And the 8" does very well on it.

#137 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Dang..Woodland Hills must have a direct line to Celestron. Every place else still shows them as Pre-Order.

#138 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

What I am really pleased with is that I heard about the mount and a week later I had one. A week. Not 6 months or a year.

Also I like the fact that it has worked really well so far. My only complaint is, and I may have to do a reset later, the go-to's when doing the 2 initial star alignments were off a lot. It wasn't until I was on the 2nd calibration star that it seemed to understand what it's purpose was. Having said that, the first night it was a lot closer. I've also been building pointing models using The Sky X T-point addon. The new celestron ascom driver that was posted earlier in this thread seems to work great.

#139 hectar

hectar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

..the go-to's when doing the 2 initial star alignments were off a lot. It wasn't until I was on the 2nd calibration star that it seemed to understand what it's purpose was...

Thanks for posting the honest opinion. Any AP done last night??

#140 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Michael,

I had a CG5 that did the same thing on the alignment stars. After the alignment was done everything was fine. I guess that everything was fine from the beginning and that was what the alignment stars were for.

#141 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Michael,

I had a CG5 that did the same thing on the alignment stars. After the alignment was done everything was fine. I guess that everything was fine from the beginning and that was what the alignment stars were for.

Well my first night out with it which was Friday night the two first alignment stars were within reason, the first calibration star was very close and the second calibration star was very very very close. I went ahead and did two more because why not?

Last night was different. I set it all back up in a new spot, leveled the tripod, took both caps off the RA and sighted through them and tried to put Polaris kinda in the middle. Just to get a rough PA you understand.

I expect the first alignment star to be off because the mount doesn't have any reason to know where it is. But by the second I expect it to be in the ball park. It wasn't. After the second calibration start it was back to putting them near the center of the eyepiece. Once I did 2+4 I did a polar alignment using the built in routine. I then checked that by doing a quick drift alignment. Sad to say it wasn't very close after all. After fine tuning the drift alignment quite a bit, spending 30 minutes creating a pointing model using SkyX T-point and fighting with my OTA's collimation, focus etc, it was too late for me as I had to get up early. So hopefully tonight I can repeat this whole process a lot faster and have time to take some photos using my dslr with and without guiding. But I also have to get up early tomorrow so I have to do it fast and correct.

#142 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Good luck tonight! Looking forward to your results. By the way, I enjoyed your videos. You had a good helper...

Although I'm a happy LX80 user at this point, I'm interested to see how the VX mount works out. It looks like everything that Meade did wrong on their introduction, Celestron did right. Delivery as soon a the announcement was made, a product that seems to work out of the box, etc. It may have not been a coincidence that the mount is currently only available from one dealer and that dealer is close to Celestron. In the event of a problem coping up, returning the mount wouldn't be a major issue. So far, you have to give credit to Celestron.

On the other side, the VX is more of an evolutionary product than the LX80 and I'd expect less problems initially.

#143 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

My CG5 would typically be fairly far off the pair of alignment stars (several degrees - maybe 10 or so), even with reasonably good initial polar alignment, accurate time (and TZ/DST setting) and location, but by the second cal star, it was usually very close. I discovered that if the second cal star wasn't near the center of the FOV, it was better to just cycle power and start over. Probably one of the earlier stars wasn't centered correctly; at any rate, if I kept going, GoTos were significantly less accurate than with a "good" 2+4 alignment and calibration.

#144 jwheel

jwheel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Looks like a nice mount.

#145 cherokawa

cherokawa

Mariner 2

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi Michael,
I think a number of CGEM owners (amongst others) would be very interested in knowing how the "integer gear ratios" end up affecting PEC. Maybe you already have plans of doing this, but if you can use something like PEMPro to measure out-of-the-box PE and the improvement after PEC propramming, you'd be helping answer many of these questions. Thanks!!

PEMPro has a 60 day free trial - I used it last night to program my CGEM.

#146 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I used PECTool to program the PEC. It's a free download from the Celeston site.

PECTool may need updating to handle the AVX mount, at present it returns a message "Warning: Unknown Model type: 20". It's possible this will affect using PEMPro.

Chris

#147 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I think the first star being mis-aligned is due to inaccuracy of the index marks for home position.

I have the same issue with my CGEM - even with a very good polar alignment, when starting up from power off, the first star is usually quite a ways off, but the second one is pretty close to the center of the finder FOV and the succeeding ones are very close to the center of the main scope FOV.

#148 Orionis91

Orionis91

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maryland USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

My CG-5 is dead on my targets with a 2+4 alignment.

#149 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

My CG-5 is dead on my targets with a 2+4 alignment.

Ayup! The CG5-GT is one of the best deals in the hobby. I use a 10" Meade R and there's three 11lb counterweights on it and it tracks well and the gotos are just fine.

David

#150 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I had a funny thought.... I was wondering if a replacement motor board could be made (by the NexSXD folks) so that we could drive the AP motors with a Nexstar..

Thing is, the AP motors are totally separate from the motor controller (the GTO CP3) so if we knew the pinout of the AP motors it should be possible to do this.

So we'd get the ASPA and the really good GoTo alignment on an AP mount, in a totally non-destructive way (the worm phase for PEM would be lost though). The Nexstar is that good! :D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics