Auto Guiding System for Celestron?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mayra

Mayra

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

So, I've got a Celestron (C6-SGT Computerized Telescope) on a CG-5GT mount. I live in the Southern Hemisphere, (Belo Horizonte, a small town in Brazil).

The closest city listed under the control menu is São Paulo and I tried using it. But of course, the latitude and longitude values are different and - for some reason - I was not able to enter custom values to adjust it to my city real coordinates (which are -19.919 Latitude and -43.938 Longitude)

I selected São Paulo and I've tried to do the two star alignment, but nothing seems to work very well. It does not track the objects the way it's supposed to do.

I was wondering if there's any other solution, any GPS or auto-guiding system that can help me out with this. I want a way to track objects accurately here. Does it exist?

What other options do I have?

Thanks in advance!

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Nope.

But the solution depends on what your problem is.

by "does not track the way it is supposed to," do you mean that when you tell the scope to go to an object, the object is off or not visible?

OR

Do you mean that the object if visible after a go-to, but drifts out of the feel.

Us helping you depends on which of these is the problem. ;)

#3 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, Mayra!

The CG-5 should find and track objects very well. Is it new? Do you know what version of the software it has?

Check the simple things first. Do you have the tracking mode set to EQ South? Is the polar axis pointing generally toward the South Celestial Pole.

I don't know why you weren't able to directly enter your Latitude and Longitude, but if your handset is like mine (version 4.16, I think), you should be able to do that now. Turn power on and start the alignment procedure. When it asks you to enter the time, press UNDO, and it will display longitude. use the number buttons to enter 043 56 17 (43° 56' 17") and press ENTER, select West and press ENTER, enter your latitude as 19 55 08, press ENTER, select South, press ENTER and you're back to the time-entry screen. São Paulo is not particularly close, but should still have worked.

#4 Steblaj

Steblaj

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

Try by eliminating the obvious:

If the tracking was way off (objects moving out of view) than it might be a polar alignment error.

If the objects were hard to find doring alignment, than it might be a problem with Lat/Lon.

Good luck.

#5 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

I was wondering if there's any other solution, any GPS or auto-guiding system that can help me out with this.

Celestron SkySnyc and StarGPS are a couple of devices that will give your mount GPS capability. Either one of those devices will input the exact time, date, and location data for you.

Patrick

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hi Mayra and welcome to Cloudy Nights:

As Uncle Rod says, we need more information to help you. Auto Guiding is used only for astrophotography. Are you trying to take long exposure images? Or are you just having trouble getting it to track objects for visual observations?

Also, when you say, "It does not track the objects the way it's supposed to", we need more information on exactly what it is doing. What are the symptoms?

-Dan

#7 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I don't think he's really talking about autoguiding as the term is generally used for astrophotography. He specifically said he doesn't think his long/lats are accurate enough for his location and was asking about how he could refine them.

Whether or not this is the real problem in regards to goto accuracy is another issue. However, Belo Horizonte is about 580 km from San Paulo, so it could make a significant difference.

Other issues he should consider regarding goto accuracy are:

1) level your tripod (makes polar alignment and goto alignment easier)
2) make sure you're using the correct time, date, and location (GPS helps with that).
3) compensate for being south of the equator
4) do a rough polar alignment.
5) do your goto alignment using at least 2 alignment stars and 2 calibration stars.
6) then do an accurate polar alignment using the All Star Polar Alignment routine.
7) redo your goto alignment.

After that your goto's should be fairly accurate.

Patrick

#8 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I just looked at the Celestron manual and it does say that you should be able to manually enter your site coordinates.

Location - The hand control will display a list of cities to choose from. Choose the city from the database that is closest to your current observing site. The city you choose will be
remembered in the hand controls memory so that it will be automatically displayed the next
time an alignment is done. Alternatively, if you know the exact longitude and latitude of your
observing site, it can be entered directly into the hand control and remembered for future use
as well

Location - The hand control will display a list of cities to choose from. Choose the city from the database that is
closest to your current observing site. The city you choose will be remembered in the hand controls memory so that
it will be automatically displayed the next time an alignment is done. Alternatively, if you know the exact longitude
and latitude of your observing site, it can be entered directly into the hand control and remembered for future use as
well. To choose a location city:
 Use the Up and Down scroll keys to choose between City Database and Custom Site. City Database will
allow you to select the closest city to your observing site from a list of either international or U.S. location.
Custom Site allows you to enter the exact longitude and latitude of your observing site. Select City Database and
press ENTER.

That would be cheaper than buying a GPS device. Check out the Nexstar Resource Site for additional information.

Regards,

Patrick

#9 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Even if the location is off, it should still find and track objects once aligned as long as it's otherwise correctly set up. The alignment stars may be off initially, but if you center the correct stars and align as normal it makes little difference after that. I forgot to reset the location after traveling 600 miles once and the mount worked perfectly except for displaying some stars which had already set at the new location.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics