• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WWPierre

WWPierre

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Has anyone had trouble getting through security with one?

#2 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

WW,

Here is a long Post from 2011 about the Traveling Q 3.5. I Think the only problem might be the legs (you can put them in your checked bag).

http://www.cloudynig...4580352/page...

Luck, Bill

#3 Gordon Reade

Gordon Reade

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I get asked, "What is it?" a lot but other than that no problems.

#4 shadowdoc31

shadowdoc31

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chattanooga, TN - USA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

And another thread from last year:

http://www.cloudynig...5248899/page...

I had no trouble; I took the legs off, and suspect this
varies with the screener.

As a related aside, note that the TSA is currently relaxing
regs to allow small knives and "novelty" bats up to 20", so
I suspect that a lightweight aluminum telescope let will be
a non-issue. (but your mileage may vary!)

#5 paulandrei

paulandrei

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

I just flew with mine. It created a buzz among the TSA. Everyone was laying bets on what I had in the case. Other than that, I had no problem.

#6 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:40 AM

I've had no trouble at all, flying on domestic or international flights. The Questar fits neatly in my carry on Pilots Case. I do put the legs in my checked baggage though.

Attached Files

#7 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

I found that the exterior of a standard Questar case is a little delicate for travel - thin leather or plastic over hard wood easily rubs through.  I travel with a Pelican 1550 case (largest cary on size).  It holds the Q and standard legs and accessories as well as additional eyepieces, camera and adapters.  Everything except for a full size tripod. It fits overhead on standard size jets.  On  small jets I've put it under the seat but it had to go sideways and intrudes into the adjacent space so you need to be traveling with a buddy :-)  I have it in bright yellow, so it's easy to spot if I ever have to get check it.  I covered with astronomy stickers (including one I had made up with the sliced open Questar) so the TSA folks know just what to expect inside.  I've only had it opened once and then just a quick look.  

#8 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

Took my 1991 Duplex on holiday to Sicily last week. Beautiful skies and great little scope. It travelled as hand luggage in its leather case. No problems even when using a no-frills airline.
Cheers
Roberto

#9 GR1973

GR1973

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh,PA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

I've had no trouble at all, flying on domestic or international flights. The Questar fits neatly in my carry on Pilots Case. I do put the legs in my checked baggage thou

From where can I get a case that fits (Quester in its original case) as carry on?

Do you have any ideas about the brands of roomy cases that I can put the Q case inside during traveling?

Best regards

#10 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I've had no trouble at all, flying on domestic or international flights. The Questar fits neatly in my carry on Pilots Case. I do put the legs in my checked baggage thou

From where can I get a case that fits (Quester in its original case) as carry on?

Do you have any ideas about the brands of roomy cases that I can put the Q case inside during traveling?

Best regards

At present, you will be limited regarding "roomy". The carry on case I use "just" fits within the carry on test crib at the boarding gates. All I can do wrap the leather Questar case with a minimal amount of bubble wrap to avoid chaffing before inserting it into the Pilot Case. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

Attached Files

Edited by Mike E., 07 September 2014 - 12:22 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics