Anyone using an EdgeHD 800 for planetary?
Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:18 PM
Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:05 PM
You'll probably want to image with a 2x barlow (+ extension?) or a 2x barlow....but even there you should be more than fine.
Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:27 PM
there still can be enough light to get some decent
images, your 8" is more then capable!!
Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:11 AM
On the one night without clouds, this is what I got:
( here )
In better hands and with better seeing, I suspect this combination could give decent results.
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:50 PM
Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:48 PM
Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:26 PM
Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:44 PM
If I may ask, how did you connect your DMK to the EdgeHD 800 (what adapters)?
From the back of the EdgeHD 800 (SCT threads?):
- Feathertouch "short" focuser, attached using the adapter supplied by Feathertouch.
- 2-inch 2x powermate plugged into the Feathertouch focuser. The center of the Powermate is about 130mm behind the scope. I don't know if the optical center of the Powermate coincides with the physical center, though.
- Orion? flip mirror plugged into the 2-inch back of the Powermate. The flip mirror has T-threads on the back. This is used to get the target onto the tiny chip in the DMK21. I'd like to get rid of this, somehow.
- Orion manual 5-position filter wheel attached to the T-threads of the flip mirror. This has T-threads on the back, too.
- The DMK21AU618 is attached with a T-thread to C-thread adapter. There is a cardboard spacer of proper thickness so the camera ends up square with everything else.