Photo

Anyone using an EdgeHD 800 for planetary?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 my_universe

my_universe

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I was wondering whether anyone is using an 8" SCT or EdgeHD800 for planetary imaging, or is it just not enough aperture? I have one, along with a DBK21AU618 camera. Haven't tried using this combo yet. But I haven't seen many planet pics on this forum taken with an 8" SCT (though I haven't looked exhaustively) -- usually I see folks using 10" and larger. So, is 8" just too little aperture to get good brightness on, say, Jupiter or Saturn at the power needed to get decent inmage scale? If anyone has insight or personal experience on this, would love to hear your thoughts.

Steve

#2 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Oh an 8" is definitely enough for planetary stuff. You should be set with your 8" and DBK. Everything I have done in the past year or so has been with my 8" SCT, and just recently upgraded my camera and the 8" gives more than enough light for Jupiter. I am sure that I can get decent images on Saturn also. Mars shouldn't be a problem either when it comes around again.

You'll probably want to image with a 2x barlow (+ extension?) or a 2x barlow....but even there you should be more than fine.

#3 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I fully subscribe to that, even with a smaller scope
there still can be enough light to get some decent
images, your 8" is more then capable!!

#4 s58y

s58y

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

I've tried imaging Jupiter twice with an EdgeHD 800 and a DMK21AA618 camera. Up here in the hills, seeing will always be poor, so my results won't be as good as what you normally see in this forum.

On the one night without clouds, this is what I got:

( here )

In better hands and with better seeing, I suspect this combination could give decent results.

#5 my_universe

my_universe

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thanks very much for the info and encouragement, guys. Mert, excellent shots of Jupiter with your 6" Mak! And s58y, those are really nice shots, nothing to be overly modest about. If I may ask, how did you connect your DMK to the EdgeHD 800 (what adapters)?

Thanks,
Steve

#6 mak5

mak5

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Here are my efforts on Jupiter using an C8:

http://www.cloudynig...d=Imaging&am...
http://www.cloudynig...5519006/page...

#7 my_universe

my_universe

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Wow, fantastic images! You set the bar very high. What barlow did you use? Any other adapters?

Thanks,
Steve

#8 mak5

mak5

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks, we really had good seeing here until december. I use a GSO 2.5X barlow for Jupiter and a 2X one for Saturn (f/25 and f/20, respectively). The barlow goes after the filter wheel and ahead of the camera. None of the barlows is telecentric, those focal ratios are the result of the positioning of the crayford, filter wheel and camera.

#9 s58y

s58y

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

If I may ask, how did you connect your DMK to the EdgeHD 800 (what adapters)?

Thanks,
Steve

From the back of the EdgeHD 800 (SCT threads?):

- Feathertouch "short" focuser, attached using the adapter supplied by Feathertouch.

- 2-inch 2x powermate plugged into the Feathertouch focuser. The center of the Powermate is about 130mm behind the scope. I don't know if the optical center of the Powermate coincides with the physical center, though.

- Orion? flip mirror plugged into the 2-inch back of the Powermate. The flip mirror has T-threads on the back. This is used to get the target onto the tiny chip in the DMK21. I'd like to get rid of this, somehow.

- Orion manual 5-position filter wheel attached to the T-threads of the flip mirror. This has T-threads on the back, too.

- The DMK21AU618 is attached with a T-thread to C-thread adapter. There is a cardboard spacer of proper thickness so the camera ends up square with everything else.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics