• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jdiwnab

jdiwnab

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

I've been lurking around this forum for a long while, but never have worked up the courage to share my rather limited images before.

I started my interest having finding a Meade ETX-60AT at a yard sale for $25 and pointing my camera through an eyepiece at the moon. They didn't turn out terribly well, but it started me down this rabbit hole of a hobby.

In the spirit of keeping it cheap and simple, just about everything I have is used and not best equipment for astrophotography, but I think I've gotten some very nice results with a very modest budget.

Below are AstroBin links to some of my better images. I have a few more to add that I don't have handy to upload right now.

All of these where taken with a Celestron Nexstar 80mm F/11 refactor that was never meant for serious use, on a CG-5, using a Sony NEX-5 at prime focus. I don't have any guiding equipment yet, and my camera tops out at 30s exposures unless you use the Infrared remote that is hard to be accurate in timing manually. I recently reprocessed most of these in PixInsight when I started my trial. The Moon and the Milky Way where done in FitsWorks, which is what I used before the PixInsight trial. I am fairly poor at processing still, but these do look a lot better than my previous attempts.

Enjoy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Stunning Introduction!
- Welcome aboard!

#3 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Nice way to introduce yourself! :)

That is some good work you have done there. Welcome to the fun! :grin:

#4 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

but I think I've gotten some very nice results with a very modest budget.

That's an understatement. Pretty amazing images for unguided. Welcome.

#5 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm more impressed when people are able to turn out really impressive astrophotos with "modest" equipment. Anything that gets people interested and looking up....and your images are certainly something you can be proud of. You've turned out some really nice work here.

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Mike

#6 David Ault

David Ault

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgetown, TX

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Those are some fantastic images, especially for the equipment you are using! Keep at it and keep posting!

Regards,
David

#7 jdiwnab

jdiwnab

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments. Here are a few more, still digging through my archive of images good enough to share.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Until I got the CG-5 and Celestron telescope, I could only get decent images of the moon, as most everything else looked awful. (I also didn't keep good records back then, so I don't know all the details on many of those shots.) So seeing things like M42 and M13, and knowing that I took those pictures is all the more amazing.

I'm open to hear anyone's suggestions on ways to better improve my images. I imagine that my processing skills are rather lacking, as I can never follow any tutorial online because mine turns out looking worse than it started.

Thank you

#8 TimN

TimN

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

You really have some very nice images regardless of the equipment. When you consider your equipment, it's makes it even more special. Congratulations and welcome to Cloudy Nights.

#9 WhitenerJ

WhitenerJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, Texas

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hello and welcome to CN. Nice set of photos you got there. Keep it up!!

Jason

#10 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Great start, those are some great shots.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics