• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitney Point, NY

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I am looking to buy my first real DSLR and have been looking locally a lot and have been watching eBay quite a lot to get an idea of going prices of used cameras. The T2i's that I have seen have been out of my budget range or have damage that I don't want to deal with, I have seen a few 50D's that are close to my budget, although a couple are like my car, higher shutter count than they should have lived through lol.
I don't plan on doing any planetary imaging so any video mode isn't necessary for me and I don't have plans on doing any mods just yet, not until I learn the basics and the imaging software first. I do plan on doing a lot of terrestrial photography with it also so that has to be a factor for me, along with I have big hands, so the 40-50D may feel better to me. But there are the battery grips that may certainly fix that on the T1i though. That, and I do really like the idea of the beefier build quality of the 40-50D's.

So, my issues are, I have seen some people say the 40-50D's have banding issues with them doing AP, is this something that seems to affect all of them or just a matter of chance ? Are there any improvements to the T1i's that make them a better overall camera than the 40D ? How about vs the 50D ?
I've read reviews on the net about the different models but it seems from my perspective, they all look at it from a professional photographer's point of view and break it down to a beginner's camera for the T*i's and back-up camera for the **D's, all kinda biased if you ask me. So, I'm hoping for some honest unabashed opinions from you guys here, you've all been there and done that all ready with bout every model made lol.

If it's of any help, when it's parked behind my scope, it's gonna be behind my C8.

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I love my 40D (although I wished it had a video mode). I use it for prime focus behind my C11 Edge HD and control it with
Craig Stark's Nebulosity 3. I only wish it could shoot through clouds!
Michael

#3 shrevestan

shrevestan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

The only experience I have is with a T1i(unmodified) but it does the job for me.

#4 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Use following list to see the best deal you could get on one of 'em; more right the better. Thx

Attached Files

#5 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

The T2i has the same chip as the new 60Da, so that would be the one I would buy. I use that same camera and love it. I did a quick check of Craig's list and see that the price of the T2i in the NY area goes as low as $200. That is a good one for the type of work we do. For $370 you get a good camera and lens so give that a try.
Craigslist
I bought my T2i for $450 modified.

#6 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, I've seen that list before, think I have that Wiki page bookmarked for when I was trying to compare different cameras while I was looking through Craigslist. Really useful by the way.
As for Craigslist, in my area T2i's are going for no less that $600, for me to drive to the city to pick up one for that price is gonna be another $300 in gas so not really saving any money lol. Been there when I bought my C8 and I won't take my 71GMC anywheres near that city again :-) lol
I am actually picky about Craigslist, it has to be local so I can check it out, no shipping....especially from NYC !!!!!!! Too much of a chance for it being stolen. It's not that I have no faith in humanity, I just don't trust anyone :-D

A member of our local observatory is pretty set upon the T2i being THE way to go, but for what a ready to shoot body and good lens is going for in my area and on eBay where I could probably trust it to be shipped, it's just going to be out of my budget. That's why I am looking at the others. After all, the guy my C8 came from imaged with film.

#7 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Michael & Stan...thanks ;-) That's part of my fork, I've seen beautiful terrestrial images with the 40D's and AP images from the T1i's lol
There's a member here, don't remember who though, I showed a semi-pro photographer friend of mine that member's web page of his AP photos and he was absolutely stunned how much detail the images showed ! He thought they were great !

#8 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

I have seen though, in the sold listings on eBay, there are some T2i's that do fall within my budget, so may keep a closer eye on them. I keep forgetting they made it easy to find what stuff has sold for in the past. I do notice however the cheaper T2i's do show quite a lot of nasty scratches, to the point where to me they look like they've been dropped.

#9 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

The T2i and 60D(a) have functionality not present in the other models - I do NOT subscribe to the 'newer is better' philosophy followed by so many people. In fact, if there was something like the T2i but with bigger pixels, more sensitivity and less noise, that would be about ideal, for me at least.

If you want to hang it off the end of a C8, I would go with a lighter-weight model (T2i as opposed to 60D). If you want something that feels more robust in your hands, I'd go the 60D route. The 60Da seems over-priced compared to a modified T2i, if you're into that sort of thing.

Grant

#10 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Go for T2i. This is a very good camera.

#11 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Go for T2i. This is a very good camera.

A+

#12 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I will keep close watch of eBay listings of the T2i's, I did see some further write ups covering the deeper functions of them compared to the other models. It seems they added more controls of metering and such over the T1i's also.
The 60D unfortunately is above what I can afford, and from what I have read they lost the magnesium subframe of the 40 and 50D that I like so to me the build quality went downhill. Also from what I've seen here, I don't see any advantage of a 60Da over the other modded cameras anyhow. Granted, I am color blind, but many of the details I can see the differences. I certainly can't see any differences to make up the price differences when I see the results of what guys here that mod cameras here have done. I'm still in that mindset of liking things more solidly built, that's why I drive a '71 GMC pick-up. Built like a tank and built to last. Maybe that same mindset make me a little hesitant of the T*i series cameras because they are so ...plasticky ...lol
I suppose as long as I don't drop it I will be fine lol. Guess I gotta change my thought process :-P

#13 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm still in that mindset of liking things more solidly built, that's why I drive a '71 GMC pick-up. Built like a tank and built to last.

Ah... now you need to post pictures of your '71 pick up :)

Guylain

#14 Hap Griffin

Hap Griffin

Vendor (Imaging Infinity)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Sumter, SC

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

:Plasticy" is not a bad thing when it comes to astrophotography. The camera is much lighter than the metalic bodied cameras which makes a big difference unless you have a very beefy mount and a strong focuser on your scope. The lighter weight of the plastic body won't load your mount as much, resulting in easier balancing and therefore potentially better tracking. Also, the lighter weight puts less stress on your focuser resulting in less tendancy to slip and sag. Many focusers can't hold the weight of a full sized magnesium body DSLR when near zenith and sag when pointed near the horizon. Also, the plasic bodied cameras will come to ambient temperature quicker.

As for the 40D, it has a reputation for bias pattern noise or streaking. Some 50D's exhibited it as well. This shows up as horizontal bands of noise in your images when you stretch the contrast in processing. The T1i, T2i and T3i are all great cameras for astro work, especially when modified.

#15 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Just for you Guylain, this is 'Mercedes', my stepdaughter named her ;) Just don't mind the *BLEEP* image though. 87k original miles, 307 and 3spd. Parked for her winter slumber, she should be under cover but by time I got my winter 4x4 on the road I couldn't get to the barn so I just plowed a spot. When I get the new camera she will get a proper photo shoot at the lake 2 miles away.

What's with the BLEEP ? I didn't put anything bad in there :shrug: :roflmao:

Posted Image

#16 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Good points Hap, especially the ambient temp part. I never thought about that but you are right, that magnesium in there is gonna cool much more slowly than the plastic and stainless will. I've also never physically had either models in my hands either so I didn't realize there is going to be that much of a difference in weight. My C8 is still forked and have no near future plans of changing that, so far it has been working out well for me and haven't had any tracking issues. Other than my misalignments because I can't see the marks on my finder scope. Thinking about phosphorescent paint for the cross hairs. I'll make a decision soon but looks like it's going to be either be a T1i or T2i.

#17 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

There is not a huge difference in weight, when HAND holding these cameras...but put them on a focuser and you will quickly see a difference. Like Hap mentioned.

Also, the 40D and 50D are pretty old tech, much higher noise than the newer T2i..(again, like Hap mentioned..)

Honestly, go for the T2i. It is a better model, imho..
better sensitivity and noise performance, and newer tech. not much, but noticeable (again, IMHO)..

With T2i's easily being had for ~$595 including modification(and 6 Month Warranty, filter costs, etc! I know a guy who knows a guy ;) ) it is only a few $ more than the T1i, and you get that much more for your $ with the T2i

Good luck!

#18 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

There is not a huge difference in weight, when HAND holding these cameras...but put them on a focuser and you will quickly see a difference. Like Hap mentioned.

Also, the 40D and 50D are pretty old tech, much higher noise than the newer T2i..(again, like Hap mentioned..)

Honestly, go for the T2i. It is a better model, imho..
better sensitivity and noise performance, and newer tech. not much, but noticeable (again, IMHO)..

With T2i's easily being had for ~$595 including modification(and 6 Month Warranty, filter costs, etc! I know a guy who knows a guy ;) ) it is only a few $ more than the T1i, and you get that much more for your $ with the T2i

Good luck!

Hmmm...I think I know who that guy is who is known by a guy :question: His wifes' doin some bakin at the moment. That's new, I don't remember seein the bun part last week !!! Congrats ! Certainly wish I could contribute to the business but I have to do it on the cheap. I have actually looked at your site a few times in the past in my considerations. I have just under $500 in my budget so that's why I'm looking Craigslist or eBay and was looking at T1i's and 40D's. I wouldn't be able to swing the extra to fund a decent lens and Astronomics clipin for terrestrial photography on top of the camera. I'm definitely in the wrong hobby lol.

#19 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

buy from KEH.com

they have a T2i for $400 in EX condition and a Kiss X4 (Japan version, probably with Japanese manuals and menu but can be re-flashed to the US firmware) for $380.

They have a warranty, 30 days I think.

#20 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I buy from KEH regularly and I'm very happy. Their descriptions and rating system are very accurate and you know exactly what you are getting.
Highly recommended.

#21 FrankenCub

FrankenCub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I've run across that site by chance a month before and never thought about looking there. I really like their rating system. They have T2i's $16 apart from EX+ and EX
May have slight wear on finish but visible only under close inspection May have small dents and/or dings and slight finish wear
I think that alone is well worth the extra $16. I will definitely keep them in mind if I don't find a complete body/lens to my liking. Thanks for the reminder guys ;)
Oh yeah, they have a 6 month warranty.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics