CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Deep sky observing eyepiece advice needed...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ClusterHunter110

ClusterHunter110

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Looking for an eyepiece for deep sky viewing in my 127mak. Right now I'm using a 26mm Plossl, and it's a pretty good preformer. But I want something that gives me a little bit of a larger perspective (or as in less magnification). But I'm on a limited budget of $55 so I can't get a premium eyepiece yet. I'm looking at Orion's Sirius Plossl 32mm as the best one, but when I go to stellarium and use the ocular view, depending on magnification terms, they look almost the same...will there be a difference between a 25mm eyepiece and a 32mm eyepiece? Or are there any other eyepieces good for deep sky viewing? :help: Thanks in advance :whistle:

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Looking for an eyepiece for deep sky viewing in my 127mak. Right now I'm using a 26mm Plossl, and it's a pretty good preformer. But I want something that gives me a little bit of a larger perspective (or as in less magnification). But I'm on a limited budget of $55 so I can't get a premium eyepiece yet. I'm looking at Orion's Sirius Plossl 32mm as the best one, but when I go to stellarium and use the ocular view, depending on magnification terms, they look almost the same...will there be a difference between a 25mm eyepiece and a 32mm eyepiece? Or are there any other eyepieces good for deep sky viewing? :help: Thanks in advance :whistle:

Dan:

One of the disadvantages of the ETX-125 is that 1900mm focal length, the field of view is very limited. A good 32mm Plossl will provide you with the maximum field of view, it will be noticeably wider than with the 25mm Plossl but it will still be well under 1 degree.

For wider fields, you have the Meade 60AT-T, if I am remembering correctly, that's a simple 60mm F/6, it should be good for the Pleiades and the like.

GSO 32mm Plossl.

I like the GSO 32mm Plossls, I have two of them but both are older Celestrons, I bought one back in 1996, they might have changed... :)

Jon

#3 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I have both those ep's from Orion and there is a bit of a difference when I view with my 6" dob. You can see more with the 32mm. The eye relief is bigger with the 32mm of course. I actually prefer the 25mm and having my eye close to the ep. there is too much stray lp that enters from the flood and street lights where I am.
I manage to get nearly all the M45 stars in fov using the 32mm.
Hope this helps a little. I am sure more experienced members will chime in soon who know more about ep's than I do.

#4 ClusterHunter110

ClusterHunter110

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

@Jon: I was trying to look for this website but I couldn't remember the name of it. I'm glad you brought it back to my mind! It seems this is a much better deal than Orion's Sirius, both the coating and the price. Also, does Orion have free shipping with their accessories?

@Rob: Well sometimes my ETX isn't fully accurate (and I should've included this to my post), so I have to scan the area to find the object. Another reason why I need a new DSO EP is perhaps easier to scan the object. Maybe even having fun looking through starfields like Cygnus or Saggitarius... :grin:

#5 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I love to just explore constellations with the 32 and 25mm. Once I find an object then I add the 2xBarlow for better views. My next ep's are a 20 and 17mm.

#6 molniyabeer

molniyabeer

Confused and Asleep

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I've seen a 40mm plossl out there that might work, too. I have a 127mm mak and I use a GSO 32mm plossl with it a lot but I'd love to try a bit lower power. Saw a 40mm at the local Good Will store but it was part of a larger kit that they would not let me part out.

My 32mm in the 127 mak will give me maybe 3/4 of a degree true FOV.

#7 ClusterHunter110

ClusterHunter110

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

I've seen a 40mm plossl out there that might work, too. I have a 127mm mak and I use a GSO 32mm plossl with it a lot but I'd love to try a bit lower power. Saw a 40mm at the local Good Will store but it was part of a larger kit that they would not let me part out.

My 32mm in the 127 mak will give me maybe 3/4 of a degree true FOV.

But the 40mm does have a smaller FOV than the 32mm, which is why I think the 32mm would be a little more fun to use. What kit was at your Good Will store? And how often does astro equipment show up at Good Will stores?

#8 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Will there be a difference between a 25mm eyepiece and a 32mm eyepiece?

In one word -- yes. It's not like night and day, but it's quite significant. That's what I would get if I owned the same scope.

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

But the 40mm does have a smaller FOV than the 32mm, which is why I think the 32mm would be a little more fun to use. What kit was at your Good Will store? And how often does astro equipment show up at Good Will stores?

The 40mm will have a smaller AFoV but an identical TFoV. In most situations, situations the larger AFoV is an advantage but in an F/15 scope, there are times when the brighter image (larger exit pupil) is an advantage. It is not a huge advantage but the brightness of a nebula or any extended object is related to the square of the exit pupil.

In the F/15 ETX-125, the exit pupil with the 32mm will be 2.1mm (32mm/15) and with the 40mm it will be 2.7mm, an object will be 56% brighter in the 40mm. This is not a lot but for some objects it can be helpful.

In a faster scope this would not be a concern, trading field of view for image brightness, because faster scopes are capable of providing brighter images. In an F/5, the 32mm would produce a 6.4mm exit pupil which would be 9 times as bright as the ETX-125 though at 1/3 the magnification.

One thing to look into is a focal reducer, it would need to be a full aperture focal reducer and will probably vignette but it can allow for a wider field of view.

I once owned an ETX-125, the GOTO worked well but this very issue of field of view and image brightness did not suit my observing style, I consider maximum field of view of about 0.84 degrees to be a serious limitation for a 5 inch scope. My 25 inch F/5 Dobsonian is capable of a 0.83 degree TFoV...

Just some stuff to think about.

Jon

#10 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Dan:

One of the disadvantages of the ETX-125 is that 1900mm focal length, the field of view is very limited. A good 32mm Plossl will provide you with the maximum field of view, it will be noticeably wider than with the 25mm Plossl but it will still be well under 1 degree.

For wider fields, you have the Meade 60AT-T, if I am remembering correctly, that's a simple 60mm F/6, it should be good for the Pleiades and the like.

GSO 32mm Plossl.

I like the GSO 32mm Plossls, I have two of them but both are older Celestrons, I bought one back in 1996, they might have changed... :)

Jon

Back before Christmas, there was a long thread about 32mm eyepieces, and several people spoke well of the GSO 32mm plossl. I bought one right after Christmas, nice price, quick delivery from AgenaAstro, and I really like it. it is not a huge difference between the 32 and the 25/26/28 eyepieces I had been using, but it is noticeably wider, and still has a decent wide AFOV. Those other three are a no-name Chinese 25mm plossl, 26mm Meade 4000 plossl, and a 28mm Edmunds RKE. Oddly, all 3 have almost the exact TFOV - right at 1 deg. However the GSO 32mm is about 1.4 TFOV, and about the same 52-53 AFOV as the 25mm Plossl.

So, long post to say, I agree, get the 32mm GSO. :)

#11 BigC

BigC

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Here is an inexpensive 40mm ,looks very similar to no-name one I have.

http://www.ebay.com/...-7mm-1-25-4-...

FWIW, my 25/26 are used more than 32/40 except in 2" where 26 and 32 are about equally likely .

#12 John Kuraoka

John Kuraoka

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I think I triggered that thread about the 32mm eyepiece. It's here by the way:
http://www.cloudynig...5582593/page...

After careful consideration, and making a serious attempt to understand the nuances explained by knowledgeable folks, I decided not to buy anything until I'd taken up Jon's offer to let me actually look through each of the eyepieces under consideration in my own scope. I hope to do exactly that next week!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics