• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Grimzella

Grimzella

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington, Pennsylvania

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

as a general observance, i often wondered why a galaxy and a hurricane had such a close resemblance. Both have cores and spiral arms that reach and form ... its interesting to know that even at such a massive scale, gravity can hold the same formation. I see this also when i stir my coffee, then drop in a little cream, and just watch it form, or when a drain plug is pulled, and soap bubbles form the same shape. a hole in the center which seems to go nowhere??

#2 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

because they are all vortex's ?

nature has a way with patterns. there are many examples of this in all kinds of things

#3 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

gravity plays a major role in everything. Along with dark matter. Reminds me of a toilet flushing.

#4 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

They're both fractals, as is the cream in yer coffee, and it was later determined that Jackson Pollock painted in fractals thus lending even greater legitimacy. As for nothing, it's everywhere if you conceive every point in space as just that, a point and without even any mathematical dimension. But in the case of black holes, it may just be the math that breaks down. Just as it does under other infinities, which physicists abhor and mathematicians embrace. Can you get any more ironic?

#5 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Fibonacci spirals.

-- Chris

#6 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

See Arthur C Clarke Fractals The Colors Of Infinity

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BCayOX-ZMMA

An old classic sure to please

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

These (galaxies/hurricanes) are things at the macro scale, are there structures like Galaxies/hurricanes in the micro scale ?

#8 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

I know I'm both an astronomy and weather geek when I look at the IR satellite image, and see M51 centered above Blythe, California.

Tom

Attached Files

#9 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

These are things at the macro scale, are there structures like Galaxies/hurricanes in the micro scale ?

Well, the human genome, but that's still huge as compared with the infinitely small Mandelbrot or Julia set, which has led some to claim that fractals are not really occurring in nature, as nature can't/doesn't sustain an infinitely small structure. Dunno what string or field theorists would say tho.

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Well, we know that hurricaines, tornados, and water drains run the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. Has something to do with the earths rotation and other high sciencey stuff...how do galaxies base which direction they spin??????

#11 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Well, we know that hurricaines, tornados, and water drains run the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. Has something to do with the earths rotation and other high sciencey stuff...how do galaxies base which direction they spin??????

I think mostly by the direction you look at them from. A clock viewed from behind spins counter clockwise.

#12 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

You need to look up "Coriolis force." I could explain it, but it's off-topic, and you kinda need to work it out for yourself.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics