•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Uranus, Ceres, Vesta

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 norton67

norton67

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well I had never seen any of this before. So last night I made it my mission to do so. Earlier in the day I got on Stellarium and drew up some star maps/ star pattterns so I could locate each one. I went to Vesta first and actually found it quit easy. Then I started my search for Ceres and came acrossed it also. I ways pretty excited that I had found them both. So I decided to look for Uranus. In that part of the sky it was a little harder because when I look that way there are some houses with lights on. And it always hard not to look at the light for some reason...lol.
Anyway I found Pisces and started star hoping a little. Then after about 10 min, I found the pattern of stars I was looking for and saw Uranus for the first time. All in all it was a good night, cold and windy but my portable observatory really helped out. I used my Garrett 28 x 110 binoculars. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files

#2 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

That was quite an observing night to remember. This is a good time to see another asteroid (minor planet) - 9 Metis. It was at opposition on Jan. 1. It's now at mag 8.7 and fading fast (mag 8.9 on Jan. 18).

Instead of using Stellarium to make star charts, this one does a much better job and is also more accurate (Stellarium is missing some stars and some of the magnitudes are off a little). http://www.aavso.org/vsp

BTW, nice pic!

#3 norton67

norton67

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks dan for the info.

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Hubble

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Wonderful. If you want to see something, knowing where to look is half the battle.

Glad you enjoyed the hunt and the trophy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics