• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 norton67

norton67

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well I had never seen any of this before. So last night I made it my mission to do so. Earlier in the day I got on Stellarium and drew up some star maps/ star pattterns so I could locate each one. I went to Vesta first and actually found it quit easy. Then I started my search for Ceres and came acrossed it also. I ways pretty excited that I had found them both. So I decided to look for Uranus. In that part of the sky it was a little harder because when I look that way there are some houses with lights on. And it always hard not to look at the light for some reason...lol.
Anyway I found Pisces and started star hoping a little. Then after about 10 min, I found the pattern of stars I was looking for and saw Uranus for the first time. All in all it was a good night, cold and windy but my portable observatory really helped out. I used my Garrett 28 x 110 binoculars. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files

#2 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

That was quite an observing night to remember. This is a good time to see another asteroid (minor planet) - 9 Metis. It was at opposition on Jan. 1. It's now at mag 8.7 and fading fast (mag 8.9 on Jan. 18).

Instead of using Stellarium to make star charts, this one does a much better job and is also more accurate (Stellarium is missing some stars and some of the magnitudes are off a little). http://www.aavso.org/vsp

BTW, nice pic!

#3 norton67

norton67

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks dan for the info.

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Wonderful. If you want to see something, knowing where to look is half the battle.

Glad you enjoyed the hunt and the trophy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics