Jupiter and my Mars filter

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

In other posts Pete has talked about his Mars filter and his experiences with Mars, and now Jupiter. Well, last night I was observing Jupiter, using my Dob with the binoviewer, 15mm Plossls (~175x) and my Mars filter. BTW, I have used this filter on Jupiter several times.

First, the detail and color observed in the NEB, NTB and the zone in between popped out nicely. The NEB was a bright ruddy color, but what was striking was the way the two blue festoons stood out. They were very well defined, both in and outside the band and the color was very pronounced. The turbulence within the band also stood out well, as it also did in the NTB. The NTB was a pronounced dark brown. The one I wasn't expecting was the yellow in the zone in between the belts. I a few sketches I have made I have shown the pastel yellow color, but through this filter it stood out bright.

I couldn't believe what I was looking at in the SEB. The GRS, although pale, was well defined. What blew me away was the turbulence trailing the GRS, which stretched across about 3/4 of the face of the planet. The filter made the GRS and trailing turbulence stand out very well.

The polar regions also stood out very well, showing the streaking and bands within. Normally these are pale and not so well featured when observing filterless.

What was not showing up was the overall salmon color that appears on Mars with this filter. There was a pinkish tinge, but very light.

If any of you have a Mars filter you owe it to yourself to try it out on Jupiter. What I was seeing last night had an AP quality to it.

Ed D

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Maybe it should be called the Jupiter filter. Gotta try one of those.

#3 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hi Ed, may I ask -
what exactly is a Mars filter? Is it just a color filter of a particular wavelength?

#4 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I've been useing the Mars "A" filter for years. I might be wrong but I believe Telvue sells the Mars "A" filter as a planetary filter for Jupiter. I found the Mars "B" filter dosen't work as well on Jupiter.

Rich (RLTYS)

#5 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Richard, the filter I'm referring to is the Orion Mars Observation Filter. It's not a colored planetary filter like the Orion Jupiter Filter, which is the 80A blue filter. The Mars filter is a broadband type filter that passes specific wavelengths, suppressing others, to enhance Martian features. This seems to be a filter that observers either love or hate. I love it because it works very well in my Dob, either with single eyepieces or with my binoviewer. Others hate it because it can cause a secondary ghost image in some scopes, which it has in my small ED refractor.

Rich, interesting that you have been using your Mars-A filter on Jupiter, and also interesting what you wrote about the TV Jupiter filter.

Norme, I'm not sure how that filter would work in your Mak. I would be afraid of the secondary ghost image popping up. Pete and I have both had success using our Newts.

Ed D

#6 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the explanation Ed. Might have to jump on board with one, although I've been known in the past to scowl at the mere mention of filters. :p

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

The ORION MARS FILTER is specifically an interference filter and works differently than a wrattens color filter. It's ability to boost red is amazing as well as SOME others. I wish there were a better name for it than the simplistic MARS FILTER as its not really what the filter is all about and infact works against it from a marketing perspective.

Curiously this filter shows horrid violet fringing in my refractor and sct but not my reflector. Infact it was a total failure in those other scopes. Methinks the light from sct and refractors with glass elements is having the filter make it all to obvious how color focus does not come to one point as in the pure reflecting system and hence fringing.

Pete

#8 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Ed,
I don't have a Mars filter but I do occasionally use a Baader Moon & SkyGlow. How does the Mars filter compare to the Baader (if you have one)?

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Dan I don't have the Baader filter you mention but if this is of any help, here goes...

Daylight is a great test bed for color response due to the variety of spectra. Red more than anything practically floureces while yellow, even a neutral yellow is pushed to the deeper orange hue. Some blues oddly intensify (festoons) while certain wavelengths of green get drastically muted. A green lawn is instantly turned brown with a bare hint of olive. The effect is striking. But roadside highway green billboards for directions/exits intensify. It's a finicky customer that draws a most curious line.

Jupiter the upxhot first and foremost is the red boost to the belts followed by the festoons. Particularly wild then is tracing the intendified festoon into the intensified red belt.

Sadly tho on a refractor or sct its a total loss and easily outstripped by a decent wratten.

Pete

#10 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Dan, I don't have the Baader filter either, but I have read many posts by observers who consider them as perhaps the best filter for observing Jupiter and Saturn.

I do have the Zhumell Moon and Skyglow filter which I find enhances contrast between the light and dark areas. It works well in my refractor and Dob, especially on nights I want to observe the gas giants and the moon is out and pretty bright.

Ed D

#11 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Thanks guys.

#12 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

You know Ed, with Saturn in the wings for its next swing by Im curious what this filter will on that planet. The yellows are always intensified into an orangey kind of hue. Saturn with its pale yellow tones could prove interesting here. Oh he'll maybe even some contrast effects in the rings. It'll be fun to try it out.

Pete

#13 oracleman

oracleman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bizkaia - Spain

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

A pity that mars filter works bad on sct!

Anyway I'll follow using moon & skyglow. I use the baaders version and I feel that increases contrast too, but colors are a little strange (violetish a little or so).

#14 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

You know Ed, with Saturn in the wings for its next swing by Im curious what this filter will on that planet. The yellows are always intensified into an orangey kind of hue. Saturn with its pale yellow tones could prove interesting here. Oh he'll maybe even some contrast effects in the rings. It'll be fun to try it out.

Pete

I found the Mars "A" filter dosen't work well on Saturn. For me it darkens the image too much.

Rich (RLTYS)

#15 bhuloka

bhuloka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Is this filter only available as 1.25"? No 2" version? I don't see it in 2" on the linked Orion web page. Or is it just assumed that a planetary filter will be used on a 1.25" eyepiece? I would like to put it on a 2" filter holder, not on my eyepiece. Does this make sense?

#16 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

To the best of my knowledge there are no 2" Mars filters.

Ed D

#17 bhuloka

bhuloka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

thanks Ed. 1.25 it is! now I wonder; is there an adapter or stepdown ring that will hold the 1.25" in my 2" threaded holder (Moonlite CR2 filter swing arm)?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics