Photo

A heart break, culling the herd.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Since my early 20,s (a heckova long time ago)I have been addicted to these twin tubed delights, alas the time has come to downsize my full size binocular collection, too many are similar duplications of others, too many sit collecting dust and with age some that worked well with younger eyes do no longer, alas.
This morning 25 assorted pairs sat on my dining room table being used in a comparison on the view from my window, I swear when finished with my choices the tears were welling up, so much so I had to put a tot of good Scotch in my morning coffee, please remember me in your prayers this evening, I thank you, more pain to come though as I sort through my collection of compact binoculars and monoculars,DA. :bawling:

#2 planetmalc

planetmalc

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Since my early 20,s (a heckova long time ago)I have been addicted to these twin tubed delights, alas the time has come to downsize my full size binocular collection

You'll regret it!

This morning 25 assorted pairs sat on my dining room table being used in a comparison on the view from my window

I go through this process every time I have to decide which bins to take with me on a day out!

#3 SMark

SMark

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I am now to the point where every time I add one to the herd I try to find one that I can let go of. I've been fairly successful at doing that over the past few months, but it is getting harder and harder to do. Especially since I seem to keep finding more and more that I want to buy... :p

#4 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

• Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

You think you have problems. There are so many I could cull but so many I love.

#5 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Get a hold of yourself man! Don't get rid of your stuff! (Just what are you going to cull BTW ? ;) )

#6 charen

charen

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

It can be done - but is is difficult!. I have about 30x binos and I need to reduce my collection and this week on my local 'E bay' type site I listed a Carl Zeiss Oberkocken series 1 7x50, a 'E' series Nikon 7x35 and a lovely Japanese made 15x80 ships binocular with sliding dew shields.
The main reason is that I live in a relatively humid climate and most of my binos are W.P. and my non W.P. versions internally deteriorate with time and the cost for professional cleaning becomes prohibitive. [Yes, even when storing them correcting]. I will 'reinvest' some money in maybe one other Hi - end optic and I do have my eye on a Leica 8x50 Ultravid HD. :grin:

Chris

#7 Mary

Mary

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Jeez, and my hubby thinks my 8 pairs are to many??? I'm a lightweight compared to you guys!

Mary

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Since my early 20,s (a heckova long time ago)I have been addicted to these twin tubed delights, alas the time has come to downsize my full size binocular collection, too many are similar duplications of others, too many sit collecting dust and with age some that worked well with younger eyes do no longer, alas.
This morning 25 assorted pairs sat on my dining room table being used in a comparison on the view from my window, I swear when finished with my choices the tears were welling up, so much so I had to put a tot of good Scotch in my morning coffee, please remember me in your prayers this evening, I thank you, more pain to come though as I sort through my collection of compact binoculars and monoculars,DA. :bawling:

That's a great way to work up the energy and enthusiasm to do a full scale binocular comparison, And it worked, I am sure you had some real fun going through them, thinking about each one, the history, the stories, the views...

That's enough to almost make a guy break out in tears and need a stiff drink.

Now you can put them away so you can do it again next year.. You knew deep inside, you were never going to part with your beloved's but it was fun while the illusion lasted.

Jon

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

I gave two away and sold four to get to my current set of five binoculars. Don't know what's so hard about it. Unless you buy collectible binoculars as a financial investment, those that don't get used might as well move on to other hands.

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I gave two away and sold four to get to my current set of five binoculars. Don't know what's so hard about it. Unless you buy collectible binoculars as a financial investment, those that don't get used might as well move on to other hands.

I think that like many threads in the binocular forum, there is a certain satire, lampooning of our personal foibles...

And too, it is possible to become attached to a physical object just as it is possible to become attached to living things... Own and use something for 20, 40, 60 years, there is a certain familiarity, a certain bonding, certain warm memories...

My own personal solution is to give such things to someone who can make good use of them, enjoy them but otherwise could not afford them...

Jon

#11 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Well I kept the good stuff, a newer Zeiss, Cannon IS,a Fuji,Swift Audubon, Bushnell Elite, a Pentax WP11,two roofs with ED glass(Vanguard&Atlas optics)and a Nikon Monarch, also a Minox.
Regarding compacts and monoculars, it will be the Papilios, 7x26 elites,a Minox and a Zeiss , also a Russian 8x30, the rest will be sold,sheeeeeesh I,ve just remembered I still have two pairs of 15x70,s and a Russian 20x60 in the closet, also a Oberwerk 7x50 Mariner on its way to me, good grief I,m a sick man, probably cheaper to become an alcoholic.DA.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Well I kept the good stuff, a newer Zeiss, Cannon IS,a Fuji,Swift Audubon, Bushnell Elite, a Pentax WP11,two roofs with ED glass(Vanguard&Atlas optics)and a Nikon Monarch, also a Minox.
Regarding compacts and monoculars, it will be the Papilios, 7x26 elites,a Minox and a Zeiss , also a Russian 8x30, the rest will be sold,sheeeeeesh I,ve just remembered I still have two pairs of 15x70,s and a Russian 20x60 in the closet, also a Oberwerk 7x50 Mariner on its way to me, good grief I,m a sick man, probably cheaper to become an alcoholic.DA.

It looks like you will have things well under control. I count 14 pairs of binoculars remaining... Probably enough...

Jon

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Who are you getting rid of them for? Waste is a relative term as is the luxury of selection. It sounds to me like a non bino addict has been whispering things into your ear to get rid of it. Straight up friend, unless you are directly putti g someone in pain and hunger, you need to let go of this gear reduction crusade.

Your not ending world hunger or increasing your odds at powerball. Keep it all and roll in it. I mean come on.

Pete

#14 rydberg

rydberg

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, KY, USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yesterday, after reading the beginning of this thread, I felt a pang of guilt and went downstairs, where all my "precious" are stored. I wanted to hold each and everyone so as to make sure they were not lonely.
I picked one up and said to myself "where the heck did you come from? I don't remember you...".
It was a 7x50, Sears, Model 6281, extra wide angle 525 feet at 1000 yards. How many 7x50 with a 10 degree FOV do you have? And I don't remember buying it...

I have a problem! :help:

#15 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

My own personal solution is to give such things to someone who can make good use of them, enjoy them but otherwise could not afford them...

Jon

I am fond of my binoculars because they have been good-very good to me;
helping me see better birds, eclipses, sun spots and flairs, the night sky.

My solution is to pass them on to family-hoping that the kids, grandkids, can get some of the same pleasures that I have.

edj

#16 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I gave two away . . .

...Mark9473

My solution is to pass them on to family-hoping that the kids, grandkids, can get some of the same pleasures that I have.

...edj

This is what I do--pass on to family and/or donate to local school astronomy groups. With family, their memory of you grows; with charitable groups, you help others while receiving a tax benefit. Actually, both family and school groups are good things to do.

#17 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

and less pain of loss

edj

#18 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

and less pain of loss

edj

And you occasionally might get to use what you give away!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics