• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Well this scope is still pretty new to me. It has a Celestron 6x30 finder scope with LER and a 7 degree FOV. This year I decided to do the Messier objects again and take better notes than I have in the past. I think it is just wonderful that, most of the objects so far, actually show up in the finder scope. It's like looking through bino's except everything is reversed, just like the scope. Finding Messier objects seems so easy now. On Jan 8th, Acubens (mag 4.25) was popping in and out as viewing wasn't all that great. I got it centered in the finder scope and sure enough I could see a fuzzy area below it. Lined it up center in the finder and looked in the EP and bam, M67. It's like shooting ducks in a swimming pool.

#2 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Finding Messier objects seems so easy now.

That will last until you hit the spring galaxies. Not many of them visible in a 6x30 finderscope!

Bet you can't see M1 or M78, either.

The real beauty of the finderscope comes when you start matching up star fields with your charts. Line up the crosshairs where the chart says the object should be, look through the main eyepiece, and voila!

Not that I ever turn down a gift horse, either. If I can see the object directly, so much the better.

#3 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have a Meade 7X50 but hardly ever use it now. Since I got my green laser pointer, I only use the finder if it's too bright to see the laser or it's too cold for the laser to turn on. It's cold sensitive! I use star charts, eyeball the spot, aim the laser, then mow the lawn until I find the object. Half the time, I'm dead on the object, or are real close. I do have fond memories of the old 50mm finder I made out of half a binocular. I used long hairs from my dog for crosshairs and glued them into the focal plain of the Kellner eyepiece. I don't like illuminated reticles as they tend to drown out the fainter stars and objects.

It's great you're getting to know your finder. Have fun!

#4 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

You'd probably love an upgrade to a 50mm finder. It sounds like you have dark enough skies to find the majority of the M objects.

#5 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

An 8x50 or 9x50 correct image finder means you don't have to look though the back of the chart while standing on your head-LOL!Depending on your viewing position a straight-thru or a right-angle finder may be better.

I'm developing a liking to this procedure for non-goto scopes: red-dot.red bulls-eye/laser/sky-scout (use ONE of that group) for "right about there" then switch to optical finder for "right THERE",then look in the eyepiece "look at THAT".

#6 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Well Tony, you were right about M1 but, I could see Hip 26328B and it's close enough that M1 shows in the EP of my 32mm. M78 was tougher yet as I couldn't find a reference star near it. Stellarium was a major help. At my viewing time I knew M78 would be at 3:00 with Alnitak. So by moving Alnitak toward 9:00 M78 showed up just fine. M36 38 and 37 was easy tonight. I wish I had a nebula filter though for M1 and M78 though.
Ken, I was looking into a 50mm finder but they seemed to have a 5 degree FOV and I really wouldn't want to spend that kind of money anyway. Heck, I only spent 125 on the scope to begin with. As far as dark skies from my back yard it vary's. Tonight I could only see 4.7s naked eye, but it was a terrible night for seeing. M36 38 and 37 seemed dim. Clouds rolled in off the Gulf at 8:15. My best views are N to E to S. They build a super walmart down the road to the west. At least they put in the lights that shine down. Clear skies....

#7 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

$125 for which scope?

#8 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

The Celestron C150-HD on a CG-4 mount. Heck, I thought it was a great deal. I couldn't pass it up.

#9 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Great deal?

It was a GIFT !!!!

Here I thought mine for considerably more was a great deal. :o

That scope was such a bargain you can easily afford a better finder yet be sure of recouping your funds at some futire date.Just watch the CN ads and other places.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics