Photo

Brown Truck pulls up, Scopes here, then....AARGH..

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I can hear a UPS truck from 2 blocks away, everyone knows the low rumble then the squeek of the brakes.
UPS brings boxes up to the porch, Frendly, Smiling..
I get the LXD-75 SN-8 unpacked then AW NUTS I see the Grapefruit
size dent in the bottom of the tube.
Pulling the correctover off the tube I see the secondary cover has come off and has been rattleing around on the top of the corrector for 1200 miles...AARGH....
Why dont scope Mfgrs realize a Metal secondary and Plastic push fit cap doesnt work when it gets cold because they expand and contract at different rates.. It fits tight
at room temp but ar 31 degrees the cap won't even stay on.
Now here we go with the 4 months of BS with UPS...

#2 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

UPS = OOPS

LOL!

Sorry to hear about that. it's also true of some eyepiece caps that are hard plastic. Perfect fit @ room temp, then it contracts in the cold and barely goes on.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Now here we go with the 4 months of BS with UPS...

Sounds like a bad deal... Now here we go with the 4 months of BS with UPS... :( But it also sounds like it was not properly packaged.. Did UPS Package the scope also or just transport it?

Jon

#4 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

UPS just transported it but there wasn't a 6" gash in the side of the box when shipped..
OTA was wrapped a blanket taped up then box was filled with peanuts, about 2-3" all the way around it.

#5 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Sorry to hear about your luck... :( :( I'm not a believer of peanuts when you're shipping something heavier that will possibly settle. I read a post years ago from a guy who shipped a 10" LX200 in peanuts. To say it was trashed is being too nice. Good luck with UPS.

-Bill

#6 pstarr

pstarr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Don't feel bad. I got a package from FedEx last week that tracking showed being delivered. I couldn't find it around my house. I called the local FedEx hub and the guy said it was left by a green container in your drive way. The green container was my rubbish dumpster waiting to be emptied. Guess where my package went. Yep, picked up with the trash. I'm still hashing out a replacement with the company.

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

UPS should make this right. Local drivers should know what the local trash containers look like (maybe because they live there and use them too.) It's to the point they don't even knock anymore, just drop the package on the porch and run....

#8 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

The driver usually isn't the one responsible for the damage. It is usually the goons working in the processing centers. They just toss things around like everything is full of feathers. Good luck with UPS.
Barry

#9 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Unreal-but it's real. I wrote this before on CN sometime ago. I followed a UPS truck when all of a sudden his backdoor opened up & a package fell out-rolling around many times. I picked it up and chased the UPS truck for nearly a mile. When he finally stopped I showed him the package. Do we get paid for delivering packages to the UPS man? I hear stories of Brinks trucks losing bags of money in the streets. Now that's interesting! :question:

Jim :dob:

#10 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Peanuts..... bad! :flame: :vomit:

I use only bubble-wrap and/or J-roll if original shipping materials are not available.

Ask sellers NOT to use peanuts.

#11 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Nothing like an OTA full of styrofoam peanuts to make your day.....

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Unreal-but it's real. I wrote this before on CN sometime ago. I followed a UPS truck when all of a sudden his backdoor opened up & a package fell out-rolling around many times. I picked it up and chased the UPS truck for nearly a mile. When he finally stopped I showed him the package. Do we get paid for delivering packages to the UPS man? I hear stories of Brinks trucks losing bags of money in the streets. Now that's interesting! :question:

Jim :dob:

Any discussion of UPS delivery procedures needs a bit of humor.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective Delivery Scene

Jon

#13 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

There may be TWO issues here: inadequate packing, and, of course, rough handling by UPS. Stuff needs to be packed under the assumption it's going to be handled roughly, unfortunate though that is.

The problem with using peanuts to pack large and/or heavy objects is that they simply move out of the way and allow the contents that are supposed to be protected to settle directly against the sides of the box. Less of an issue with light objects or small volumes where the peanuts can be packed fairly tightly to prevent shifting. Another option is to pack peanuts in several different bags and pack the bags around the object, the bags help limit shifting.

Big things need to be packed with solid supports so that the contents are suspended well away from the sides of the box so that dents can't reach it.

#14 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

That is why I always pack heavier items with solid foam pieces and plenty of bubble wrap. I also pack it fairly tight so item won't shift. Whenever possible I ship with USPS, they seem to handle packages better. I never have box marked fragile.
Barry

#15 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I used to have a young guy work for me that loaded trucks for them at night, He used to say they tried to see who could throw the packages the farthest trying to hit the correct loading spot!! The night MGR was in his 20's
and knew about it!!!!
When I worked at Gateway a guy had an issue with his laptop,
We took good care of folks and sent out a pre paid box to them. When he asked how it shipped he exclaimed OH GOD NO!
He was a UPS exec... I had to chuckle about that!
But the point about peanuts was right..
TAKE NOTE!!! those foam peanuts jiggle and rub against each other and can store up MASSIVE ESD (Electro Static Discharg!) I've seen more than one compurer come in Shorted out due to being zapped!

#16 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Makes you wonder how much UPS would have to pay out in claims, before they began to crack down on handling issues. My guess is that the payouts would have to exceed revenue collected by you and I when we insure our packages-- most of the time, things survive the journey, which is amazing when we hear the kinds of stories we do.

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Have to admit that Fedex is better then UPS. About 3 years ago I bought a Bose sound system for the TV thru AAFES (Military Exchange) mail order. Luckily I was home when it arrived. The drive said his instructions were, if not home, leave by door (these were the instructions from AAFES, not me, this is their "default" delivery). Could you imagine not being home and a big box marked "BOSE HOME THEATER" on the side sitting on your porch....and for how long.......so, be careful who you order thru, or at least check to see if they offer delivery instructions/options.

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

It sounded to me like the scope was not sufficiently well packaged. Double boxing, lots of tape and bubble wrap.. Collimation bolts checked for snugness, other screws, nuts and bolts checked for tightness. Shipping a scope with a corrector plate is always a concern.

At one time I worked for a small LTL trucking company, I pack accordingly.

Jon

#19 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Have to admit that Fedex is better then UPS. About 3 years ago I bought a Bose sound system for the TV thru AAFES (Military Exchange) mail order. Luckily I was home when it arrived. The drive said his instructions were, if not home, leave by door (these were the instructions from AAFES, not me, this is their "default" delivery). Could you imagine not being home and a big box marked "BOSE HOME THEATER" on the side sitting on your porch....and for how long.......so, be careful who you order thru, or at least check to see if they offer delivery instructions/options.

I'm trying to understand why it was the driver's fault for following the shipper's instructions. There are people out there that would complain when you don't leave the package. It would seem you have to be a fortune teller at times. You can always ask the shipper to require a signature for delivery. I had a package delivered today from ADM. I live up a short lane. My mail comes early so I went down to check it early. USPS had shoved my package in my mailbox with about 4 inches sticking out. My mailbox was open and it was raining. If I had not gone down and checked my mail, all of my mail would have been soaked. I was lucky to be off this week. FedEx regularly leaves packages at my house for people over on the next block. USPS regularly gives us mail for other people. I deal with customers that often tell me how high their claims are for FedEx ground compared to UPS. FedEx (NDA) seems to be decent. I guess it really boils down to the human factor. There are plenty of UPS, FedEx and USPS employees that go the extra mile for their customers every day that get a bad rap for bad packing or some gorilla that toss the package on it way.

-Bill

#20 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

It sounded to me like the scope was not sufficiently well packaged. Double boxing, lots of tape and bubble wrap.. Collimation bolts checked for snugness, other screws, nuts and bolts checked for tightness. Shipping a scope with a corrector plate is always a concern.

Jon

I would usually agree with you except for the 4" x 1.5" hole punched into the side of the box :bawling:

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Jon

I would usually agree with you except for the 4" x 1.5" hole punched into the side of the box :bawling:

Not to justify the damage but I consider such damage pretty normal.. generally that comes from pushing the box or a stack of boxes with the ends of the forks, maybe to try to fit more into the truck..

The stories, I could tell... here's one.. a driver loaded a Bridgeport mill into an enclosed a 27 foot trailer. It had just been rebuilt and was shipped back to the owner. The driver picking it up did not tie it down or secure it in anyway. It was no big surprise that it fell over and received some significant damage as he drove around for the rest of the day. It was no big surprise that my boss bent the levers back and tried to make it look like nothing happened and later never acknowledged that we were responsible when it turned out there were significant problems with the rebuilt mill.

Like I said, I pack accordingly... I think of someone pushing a stack of boxes with the tines of the fork lift, dropping things on my box, my box being on the bottom of an 8 foot piles, my box being squeezed at the front of the load... the truck bouncing along for a few thousand miles, etc, etc

Jon

#22 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm sorry about the damage. That's heart breaking.
I would agree that a blanket and Styrofoam peanuts are not sufficient packaging. Objects settle within peanuts such that they can become useless. Most any telescope should be double boxed. I'm not defending UPS, but one must expect one's box can be dropped a fair distance.
Hopefully one of the parties will help you out.

#23 sslcm56

sslcm56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montgomery, Al.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

I drive for FedEx Home delivery and I have never left a stereo or a big screen tv by someones door even if the shipper didn't require a signature. I have never thrown a package over a gate and left it there. Most of the time if it is just a regular package it DOES get left by the door. Neither I nor any other driver that has 100 or more stops to make in a day in a day and drive 1 or 200 miles have the time to knock on a door and wait to see if someone is there. If you are expecting a new CPC you should be tracking it and be there to receive it. A shipper has to pay extra for a signature required package and most do not. There are minimum shipping requirements also. You should see the high speed automated systems that sort these things in action. A person most likley would not survive a trip through one of these systems much less 2 or even 3 of them. When you order something you should talk to the SHIPPER about how it is shipped.

Clear Skies!

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

I drive for FedEx Home delivery and I have never left a stereo or a big screen tv by someones door even if the shipper didn't require a signature

Steve:

:waytogo:

I am sure there are responsible drivers with every shipping company (the small company I worked for even had some) but when I ship an expensive item, it always goes FedEx. In my job, when I purchase something, I always do my darnest to make sure it is shipped FedEx.

We recently had some upgrades to some testing equipment installed and the manufacturer shipped it UPS. It wasn't super expensive, a couple of 20 pound boxes on a pallet, total worth maybe $12,000. One of the boxes had a been damaged, a hole through it so I had to make fill out an exception...

The FedEx driver who delivers to my office goes out of her way to get things to me.. UPS drivers just take it to shipping and receiving, she knows me, knows when I get in, she makes sure I get it.

Jon

#25 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Sorry to hear this. Vendors who can't pack properly should get out of the business. Was it the packing, or the shipper mishandling the telescope?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics